View Full Version : reminders and/or syncing automatically turning on my PPC?

smapdi636
01-17-2003, 04:09 PM
My PPC seems to turn itself on every once in a while and I haven't narrowed down yet what causes it. I guess I haven't been paying that much attention. :(

Anyway, I found another thread on this forum that suggested going in to ActiveSync settings on the PPC, on the Schedule tab, and unchecking the first 2 boxes.

I unchecked the one that referrs to when my PPC is NOT connected, but I think I want my PPC to sync every 5 minutes when it IS connected.

HOWEVER, I have my PPC set to stay connected in ActiveSync when it's on it's cradle, so maybe the "sync every 5 minutes when connected" is kind of overkill... In other words, maybe it's already staying connected, so it doesn't have to try to sync every 5 minutes. Is this accurate?

Aside from that, is it possible for reminders to turn on your PPC? I think this is what happens typically when mine turns itself on. I'd prefer for only the green external light to blink when a reminder event happens, or even better, have it play a short sound, blink the external light, but not turn on.

Any suggestions?

I'm using Agenda Fusion and PocketPlus.

TIA

Sven Johannsen
01-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Look at those Schedule tab boxes again. They say 'sync with server'. These are only useful if you are in a corporate environment using Exchange and MIS to sync your pocket Outlook directly with an Exchange server. It also assumes you have some entries in the server tab. If you are doing the normal sync with your desktop Outlook, all they do is turn your device on.

I'm not sure there is any way to get the built-in alarm function to not turn on the screen. You can 'not' do the light an/or sound, but the screen seems to be a given. Normally, off the cradle most folks have the device set to go off after a minute or two. On the cradle however, I would guess the typical setting is to stay on. You can change that. It would still come on with an alarm, but you could set it to turn back off.

There are a lot of third party alarm programs. Maybe one of them has the light only feature you are looking for.

smapdi636
01-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Look at those Schedule tab boxes again. They say 'sync with server'. These are only useful if you are in a corporate environment using Exchange and MIS to sync your pocket Outlook directly with an Exchange server. It also assumes you have some entries in the server tab. If you are doing the normal sync with your desktop Outlook, all they do is turn your device on.

Ahh I see now. Great - I'll toggle that puppy off post haste.

I'm not sure there is any way to get the built-in alarm function to not turn on the screen. You can 'not' do the light an/or sound, but the screen seems to be a given. Normally, off the cradle most folks have the device set to go off after a minute or two. On the cradle however, I would guess the typical setting is to stay on. You can change that. It would still come on with an alarm, but you could set it to turn back off.

There are a lot of third party alarm programs. Maybe one of them has the light only feature you are looking for.

Ok - I'll have to double-check my Power Options and see what mine is set at. I don't think I'd mind if the screen was on for a minute or a few then shut itself back off.

What got me thinking about this whole issue is the fact that last night I left my PPC off the cradle overnight for the first time, maybe ever. I got to work this morning and turned on the PPC only to discover my battery is nearly dead!

So this was the last straw in my battle with the PPC turning itself on...

Sounds like if I double-check all the things you mentioned I can get this tuned up proper.

Thanks!