View Full Version : Serial number or UUID on Dell Axim

C Brandt
01-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

I've found a way to programatically pull serial numbers out of ipaqs and e740s, but the code doesn't seem to work on the Dell Axim. Does anyone know how to get a unique identifier out of it?

If you go to the System information page, there is a UUID, but I can't find any information on grabbing that number from within a eVC app.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

snowlion
03-26-2003, 02:30 PM
i'm using the

BOOL bRes = ::KernelIoControl(IOCTL_HAL_GET_DEVICEID,
0, 0, arrOutBuff, nBuffSize, &dwOutBytes);

call and it fails on the Axim.

haven't found another solution yet.

Peter Foot
03-28-2003, 05:07 PM
i'm using the

BOOL bRes = ::KernelIoControl(IOCTL_HAL_GET_DEVICEID,
0, 0, arrOutBuff, nBuffSize, &dwOutBytes);

call and it fails on the Axim.

haven't found another solution yet.

The KernelIoControl is the best method since this is implemented (Required as part of the PPC 2002 Spec) the same regardless of manufacturer, Compaq etc had individual methods to get the id. One of the reasons it can fail is if the buffer allocated is not large enough. This qa has example code for calling the function
http://www.pocketpcdn.com/qa/serial_number2002.html

HTH

Peter

snowlion
03-29-2003, 01:58 PM
thanks peter,

i'll increase the buffer and try again.

in the example code - do you know how/why they picked these values

strDeviceInfo.Mid(40,2) +
strDeviceInfo.Mid(45,9) +
strDeviceInfo.Mid(70,6);

thanks.

snowlion
03-29-2003, 02:04 PM
after looking over my code - it did allocate a buffer of 256...but i'll increase it.

also the sample code, assumes the length of the data returned by the sys-call is at least 38 bytes - no length checking. i know in the toshiba it's 36.

unikande
07-03-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi all!

Did you find a solution to this problem. I'm having the same. It seems to work the (2) first calls, then it fails. Using buffer size 256. Don't have a Dell available for tests. Grateful for solution or ideas.

Uffe