View Full Version : SD Card Format

smittyofdhs
01-16-2003, 09:43 PM
What's the ideal settings for a SD card? with regards to format. When I put my old 128 SD card into my USB reader (on WinXP laptop), under properties the format was RAW. I just got a new 256 Sd card, put it in the PPCPE (btw...it did not tell me I needed to format it as the 128 did), then used the USB reader to transfer files. According to properties for the 256, it's format is FAT.

I know storagetools has different options for formatting. Which is the best to get the highest speed and the most disk space?

Monty Gibson
01-17-2003, 03:30 AM
What's the ideal settings for a SD card? with regards to format. When I put my old 128 SD card into my USB reader (on WinXP laptop), under properties the format was RAW. I just got a new 256 Sd card, put it in the PPCPE (btw...it did not tell me I needed to format it as the 128 did), then used the USB reader to transfer files. According to properties for the 256, it's format is FAT.

I know storagetools has different options for formatting. Which is the best to get the highest speed and the most disk space?

FAT 32 16 cluster size is a good all around setting; it repairs quickly and defrags quickly. It's the setting I use and it takes seconds to do both. If you have larger files then go with a 32 cluster size. If you have a LOT and I mean A LOT of small files go with a 512k cluster size.