View Full Version : SDIO or NO?

ultimate_ed
01-16-2003, 05:09 AM
So, anyone have any Axim specific thoughts regarding the frontpage article that suggests all Xscale based PPC's are capable of SDIO? Everything I've read here says that the Axim doesn't support SDIO.

While I don't need additional storage yet, I was expecting to get and SD based flash card to save the CF slot for some type of I/O card. If the SD slot can support I/O, that's probably affects the plans of a lot of new Axim owners.

spursdude
01-16-2003, 05:13 AM
Up until this point, everybody thought that the slot was not SDIO. In fact, it isn't SDIO. However, apparently the x-scale supports SDIO devices - you just need a driver.

So although the manufacturer didn't build your slot to be SDIO, it may yet work. No confirmation on this quite yet, though...

but as Jason said on the front page, it's a matter of drivers being written. But potentially, you should be able to use a SDIO device on your PPC.

Pony99CA
01-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Up until this point, everybody thought that the slot was not SDIO. In fact, it isn't SDIO. However, apparently the x-scale supports SDIO devices - you just need a driver.

So although the manufacturer didn't build your slot to be SDIO, it may yet work. No confirmation on this quite yet, though...

but as Jason said on the front page, it's a matter of drivers being written. But potentially, you should be able to use a SDIO device on your PPC.
The "just need a driver" comment may not be true. People who have looked into the hardware have said that, for SDIO to be enabled, there is an "IRQ interrupt on pin 8 which should be connected to an GPIO". If that hardware connection isn't there, no drivers will help.

Steve

P.S. Ed wrote that front page piece, not Jason.

spursdude
01-17-2003, 02:06 AM

The "just need a driver" comment may not be true. People who have looked into the hardware have said that, for SDIO to be enabled, there is an "IRQ interrupt on pin 8 which should be connected to an GPIO". If that hardware connection isn't there, no drivers will help.

Steve

P.S. Ed wrote that front page piece, not Jason.

You may be right. I'm not sure - so much of this is speculation right now, although I'm sure that looking to the hardware tells no lies.

(sorry Ed! :D )