View Full Version : Sprint + PPCPE: Do we Know the Whole Story?

GQ19
01-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Ok, i'm extremely excited about the two devices that sprint is gonna put out.. the samsung and the hitachi.. BUT my question is this.. will sprint keep the unlimited 1xRTT plans for these phones also? That seems to be a question no one is asking.. or are they and i'm missing the threads? :lol: :lol:

GQ19
01-15-2003, 08:50 AM
with so many SDIO products coming out.. ive decided.. im gonna get the SPH-i700 from samsung when it comes out.. just a quick question for anyone who can help... i currently have an iPAQ 3955.. will i notice a performance loss if i get the i700 vs. my iPAQ?

Janak Parekh
01-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Nobody knows the real answer for either of your questions. We all think they will drop the unlimited plans, but on the other hand you can get unlimited plans with the Treo 300. The i700's performance is utterly unknown.

--janak

GQ19
01-15-2003, 09:46 PM
hmm.. from a purely business and marketing point of view, i think that to do that, meaning to drop the unlimited data plans, would be too massive an overhaul for a company that is BETTING on that move (unlimited data) to bring them more customers.. after all, they did that so that they could be the only provider with a simple plan for data usage and thus appeal to the masses.. so.. i dont know what to think as of now.. and what is the timeline for the release of the i700 anyway?

Janak Parekh
01-15-2003, 09:50 PM
I think the PPC Phone Edition units are slated to be available this summer.

--janak

GQ19
01-26-2003, 07:06 AM
bump!

JMountford
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
If you sign up for an unlimmited Vision plan you will be able to keep it when you upgrade your phone. Just be careful in upgrading your plan once you have a Phone Edition device.

gfunkmagic
02-11-2003, 12:29 PM
I was speaking to a Sprint Rep the other day and he said Sprint might end it unlimited data plans (i.e. Vision) once they roll out their VoIP (Voice over IP) push talk service. Most likely that would occur once Sprint completes its 1xEvDV infrastructure which will allow true 3G data packet speeds (3-5 Mbps). Interestingly 1xEvDV is not the normal stepped upgrade of 1xRTT. CDMA2000 is upposed to be deployed in three phases. The first, 1xRTT, supports up to 144 Kbps packet data speeds. The second release of 1x, 1xEV-DO, supports data rates up to 2.4 Mbps. The third, 1xEV-DV, supports circuit and packet data rates up to 3-5 Mbps. For some reason, Sprint has decided to skip all the way to the third phase!? Of course this is all conjecture and way out in the future... :?:

JMountford
02-11-2003, 04:09 PM
I was speaking to a Sprint Rep the other day and he said Sprint might end it unlimited data plans (i.e. Vision) once they roll out their VoIP (Voice over IP) push talk service. Most likely that would occur once Sprint completes its 1xEvDV infrastructure which will allow true 3G data packet speeds (3-5 Mbps). Interestingly 1xEvDV is not the normal stepped upgrade of 1xRTT. CDMA2000 is upposed to be deployed in three phases. The first, 1xRTT, supports up to 144 Kbps packet data speeds. The second release of 1x, 1xEV-DO, supports data rates up to 2.4 Mbps. The third, 1xEV-DV, supports circuit and packet data rates up to 3-5 Mbps. For some reason, Sprint has decided to skip all the way to the third phase!? Of course this is all conjecture and way out in the future...
Yes Sprint PCS will end it's unlimmited Data Plans, BUT They can not arbitrarily switch your plan. In other words if you find a good plan and keep it, they have to leave you on it. Your plan becomes "Grandfathered".

As for the 1xEV-DO.
1. It will be much cheaper for them to skip a step.
2. The EV-DO technology is allready here and ready.
3. They need to stay competitive.
4. Phone technology is allready going to the EV-DO specs. Sprint PCS will need to meet ODM guidelines to get phones.
5. It makes more sence for one company to catch up rather than have the ODMs lag behind.
6. Sprint is way behind on their 3G Migration path.

JackTheTripper
02-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I've been confused about this and haven't called Sprint to ask...

Is Vision only for PPC Phones or can you use it to hook up via a bluetooth enabled cell phone to your (for example) Toshiba with a Bluetooth card?

Thanks in advance.

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 06:26 PM
As for the 1xEV-DO.
One other substantial reason why they're skipping 1xEV-DO - the DO means "Data Only", where as 1xEV-DV has voice built in. Theoretically you could set up an IP telephony network with DO, but you're talking more infrastructure. Plus, you know, it costs a ton of money to do each migration.

--janak

GQ19
02-11-2003, 07:33 PM
so let me get this straight, is the concencus that they will not give up their unlimited data plan (Vision) until they have these faster EV-DX technologies available? Because it would be beyond great for their sales to have a PPCPE device like the SPH-i700 or the upcoming Hitachi model and offer unlimited data with those :lol:

JMountford
02-11-2003, 10:16 PM
I could respond to everything in one post but I want to get my Post count up anyway so read on.

JMountford
02-11-2003, 10:27 PM
I've been confused about this and haven't called Sprint to ask...

Is Vision only for PPC Phones or can you use it to hook up via a bluetooth enabled cell phone to your (for example) Toshiba with a Bluetooth card?

Thanks in advance.

Vision is Sprint's New Data network. Any of Sprint's "Vision Enabled" handsets support Vision. The Handsets out right now are the Sanyo 5300 and 6400, the Samsun N00 and A500, LG 5350, and Hitachi 3000. This also includes the Samsung i330 and the Handspring Treo 300. I do not think the Toshiba Thera is Vision enabled but I could be wrong.

Right now there are no BT enabled Handsets for Sprint and no handsets with an SDIO slot.

Now in the future Sony Ericson will be releaing a handset for the Sprint PCS network that will have built in BT. Now Sprint PCS likes to hobble their devices to thwart high data use and make people have to pay to upload content to their phones so we will see what will happen.

To answer your question, yes. In theory a BT phone made for the Sprint PCS network will allow Vision access to other data terminals. Unfortunately it is not possible right now because there is no devices for sprint PCS that will do this.

JMountford
02-11-2003, 10:31 PM
One other substantial reason why they're skipping 1xEV-DO - the DO means "Data Only", where as 1xEV-DV has voice built in. Theoretically you could set up an IP telephony network with DO, but you're talking more infrastructure. Plus, you know, it costs a ton of money to do each migration.

Just to point out quickly

1. It will be much cheaper for them to skip a step.
2. The EV-DO technology is allready here and ready.

I did point out the cost issue and though I did not go into details, my comments about the technology being here refered to data trends and usability.

Maybe we should expore that more in detail though.

JMountford
02-11-2003, 10:38 PM
so let me get this straight, is the concencus that they will not give up their unlimited data plan (Vision) until they have these faster EV-DX technologies available? Because it would be beyond great for their sales to have a PPCPE device like the SPH-i700 or the upcoming Hitachi model and offer unlimited data with those

To be specific Sprint PCS is holding on to this plan in order to get in as many users as possible. They will continue this practice as long as possible..

To be honest Sign up for a Vision plan now in order to hold on to the rates. Sprint PCS has a tendency to get a wild hair up their rump and change things in a heartbeat. Once you have the plan you are supposed to allowed to use ANY Voice capable device with it. This does exclude modem type devices. Sprint PCS does maintain the right to discontinue your unlimmited plan if it is abused. Don't you love "fineprint"?

Sprint is the mist of an upheavle so while I can tell you this and that. Things change and nothing is certain. Upper level management is in a turnover. Things will change, it's just hard to say what or how.

My advice is get your Vision plan now. get the i700 later.

JMountford
02-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Question. If I launched a PCS PDA web site would you all be interested?

GQ19
02-12-2003, 07:31 AM
VERY interested.. i would be willing to be a staff member as i am pretty versed on these things.. that's if you'd have me :wink:

disconnected
02-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Right now I have the LG5350 and a Supplynet cable to connect to my iPAQ. It doesn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped. It connects ok, but it times out or something while I'm reading a page and then has to re-connect. Sometimes this is almost transparent, but often I get a page-not-found message and have to click on a link for a second time, at which time it reconnects ok. The biggest problem is that almost every time I've used it, at some point it just locks up the iPAQ completely, requiring a soft-reset. Even at its best it is not noticeably faster than my original iPAQ 3630 with PPC2000 and Bluekite and an old Motorola phone; this was two and a half years ago! I'd like a new bluetooth phone, if and when it's released, but first I'd like to be sure it won't have the same problems I'm having now.

I'd also be very interested in a PCS/PDA site.

JMountford
02-12-2003, 08:11 PM
I actually got inspired to do such a site last week. I am working on several projects right now, but I hope to go live by the end of the month.

gfunkmagic
02-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Question. If I launched a PCS PDA web site would you all be interested?

ABSOLUTELY!! That would be very cool indeed!!

gfunkmagic
02-13-2003, 08:25 AM

As an aside note, I want to point out that to my knowledge cdma2000 does NOT allow for simutaneous data and voice transfers? Please correct me if I'm worng, but I believe this is a major distinction between cdma200 and wcdma (UMTS). Theoretically a consumer using a mobile runnning on a wcdma networks could talk and surf at the same time. I do not beleive this is possible on 1xEvDV? Any thoughts?

gfunkmagic
02-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Right now there are no BT enabled Handsets for Sprint and no handsets with an SDIO slot.

Now in the future Sony Ericson will be releaing a handset for the Sprint PCS network that will have built in BT. Now Sprint PCS likes to hobble their devices to thwart high data use and make people have to pay to upload content to their phones so we will see what will happen.

JMountford,

Do you know whether of not Sprint will support the Kyocera 7135? I've heard various rumors on other smartphone forums that they will indeed. Also, do you know what differences if any exist between the sony Ericsson T608 and T606 other than the former is slated for Sprint and the later is for Verizon? Certain sites like phonescoop are reporting the T606 does not have BT while others like Mobile Burn say it does? Why would Sony Ericsson release a mobile with almost the exact same features, but no BT for a different carriers using the same network standard? I hope this doesn't mean the cancellation of the T608 or something... most probably not though...

Also to your last point: I currently have a Treo 300 and have been using Scott Gruby's Notify Mail app for some time that allows one to use your Treo as modem for laptop. How exactly would Sprint even know if you're using your mobile as modem? They cannot possibly be tell besides monitoring bandwidth. I currently am getting between 80-100 kbps transfer rate using my Treo which is pretty fantastic IMHO. I've had no problems with Sprint regarding bandwidth up to this point..

JMountford
02-13-2003, 05:25 PM
You have lots of questions Gfunk...

I Will try to address them all. I want to let you know that I do not always have all the answers but I will try my darndest to get them.

JMountford
02-13-2003, 05:28 PM
In regards to a PCS PDA website ABSOLUTELY!! That would be very cool indeed!!
I want you guys to know I am working on it. I am very busy this month, but as I said I will try to go live by the 1st of March.

It will propably be called PCSPDAs.com

JMountford
02-13-2003, 05:36 PM
cdma2000 does NOT allow for simutaneous data and voice transfers? Please correct me if I'm worng, but I believe this is a major distinction between cdma200 and wcdma (UMTS). Theoretically a consumer using a mobile runnning on a wcdma networks could talk and surf at the same time. I do not beleive this is possible on 1xEvDV? Any thoughts?
I will have to check on this, because I am not sure. I was under the impression that the only difference was in the frequency used.

My theory, and the way it used to be explained is that Data Only will make all transmissions across the network Data. In other words even voice calls will be Packet Switched. In my understanding this would work out very well to effectively allow you to do many things at once as packets can be sent more quickly. Now the pipe may not allow for two simultaneous packages, but with the speed a packet can travel you should be able to have a voice conversation and a web browser going at the same time, because web browsing requests packets in intervals usualy when a page is requested. So while they would not be simultaneous, you would never notice the difference.

I will have to confirm this though. I'll get back to ya.

JMountford
02-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Do you know whether of not Sprint will support the Kyocera 7135? I've heard various rumors on other smartphone forums that they will indeed.
I have heard that Sprint will carry the Kyocera... you are referring to the Palm OS Clamshell Phone right?

If you are... I have heard from Various Verizon Employees (my sister works for them) that the Kyocera Palm OS Phone is having lots of problems and that is why it is being delayed. It was supposed to have been released by now. Sprint PCS will probably release it at a later date than Verizon. So you have a wait.

do you know what differences if any exist between the sony Ericsson T608 and T606 other than the former is slated for Sprint and the later is for Verizon?

I had heard the Verizon version does not have BT. Also you will notice several styling differences. I will have to check to make sure, but I would hazard a guess that no BT is right. Verizon tends to lend toward simpler cheaper devices than Sprint PCS does. Verizon plays more to the consumer market, where Sprint PCS aims more at Business users.

How exactly would Sprint even know if you're using your mobile as modem? They cannot possibly be tell besides monitoring bandwidth.

They can NOT tell. You are right Band With mointoring is the only way. What I was saying Is that Sprint PCS offers Modem only devices in several form factors and functions. Those devices can not use the cheap unlimmited data plans. I was also saying that Sprint PCS has an arbitrary pricing policy. If they thnik you are buying the PDA phone to use for mainly data they can decide not to let you do the cheap data plan. While I have not heard of this happening much, it is something they can do. I have been told by Sprint PCS employees to get a regular Vision phone first and then Upgrade devices later if I want to make sure to get the cheaper unlimmited data plan on a PDA phone. And even then I was told over and over that Sprint will and does monitor data usage. If it gets excessive they maintain the right to yank it.

So there you have it.

gfunkmagic
02-14-2003, 05:25 AM
JMountford,

Thanks for all the replies! :D It was very helpful. Also good luck with that webiste!

JMountford
02-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Glad I could help.

Also to GQ ipaq.

Email me at [email protected] to discuss website staff details.