View Full Version : Which Axim X5 to get (300Mhz vs. 400 Mhz)?

jproudfo
01-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm a Palm user who is currently looking to make the switch to a PocketPC device. Over the past few weeks I've done some research on the various devices and I think I've decided to purchase an Axim X5 (and a Socket Com. bluetooth CF card).

Unfortunately, I can't decide which model X5 I want to go with...

Of the differences I can see (CPU speed, cradle, RAM/ROM) the only one that is really important to me is the CPU speed. All of the other items (except ROM, I suppose) can be upgraded at a later time, but the CPU speed is something that I would be stuck with until I get a new unit.

Having no experience in the PocketPC world, though, I'm not sure how much difference there is between the speed of the two models (300 Mhz vs. 400 Mhz). Can anyone provide me with some insight, or real world examples, of the speed differences?

Am I overlooking any other important differences?

At this point, I think I will mostly be using my X5 for e-mail, web browsing (via bluetooth to my T68i), editing various small spreadsheets and word files, and listening to MP3s.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

daninnj
01-14-2003, 11:12 PM
At this point, I think I will mostly be using my X5 for e-mail, web browsing (via bluetooth to my T68i), editing various small spreadsheets and word files, and listening to MP3s.

If that's mostly what you are going to do...I would get 300MHz.

DanInNJ

Sven Johannsen
01-14-2003, 11:17 PM
The question is really shall you get the 64M version or the 32M version. The answer is [holds envelope to forehead], 64 Meg.

No you can't upgrade the RAM. You can add flash memory, which is like adding a hard drive to your PC, not like adding RAM to it. Profermance improvement similarities apply.

The added attraction is the 48M of Flash ROM over the 32M. Initially you will benefit from the greater additional storage over the 24M the OS takes with space that is available to you. You get almost 20M to load programs into on the 400Mhz Axim. Then you will be hedging against a bloated next OS from MS. It takes 24M now, I can imagine it getting 8M bigger. I think the last one went from 16 to 24? In any case it left the iPAQ users with an OS upgrade that wouldn't fit entirely into their ROMs, forcing them to load some things into what RAM they had.

P.S. Maybe you can add to the RAM. There are third party folks providing that service for current PPCs. It is not a user installable item. A 32M to 64M upgrade for the those that it is available for is around $129. No guarantee they will support the Axim though.