View Full Version : What will you be doing with your e740 in 10 years?

Anjuan Simmons
01-14-2003, 10:28 PM
I purchased the e740 soon after it came out because I believed that it was the most expandable PDA out there (CF and SD slots with WiFi build in). Even the latest device from HP requires the purchase of an external sleeve to get all that PDA sweetness. Also, the form factor was something that I felt I wouldn't mind pulling out of my pocket and looking at for a long time.

Given the large amount of money I spend on the device and the fact that I've moved from single to married life, I know that this will be my primary PDA for a while. However, I wonder if this is truly a device I can use for the long term.

What do you think? How many of you plan to still be using your e740 in 10 years? Do you think it will serve the same purpose you use it for today or will it change? What type of device would have enough features to cause you to discard the e740 and upgrade?

Peter Traugot
01-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Interesting question. I'll preface it by saying that there have been many devices of one sort or another that I thought I would keep (and use) for many years to come. I had a GREAT cassette deck many years ago I thought I would use forever. Need I say more.

The thing about technology (and its hardware/software) is that it is always changing. Theorems like "Mores Law" come to mind as perfect examples.

To estimate the life of a piece of technology has much to do with use, expectations, support and the surrounding environment. What do you expect to do with it in ten years? Will Microsoft and/or Toshiba be around (heh), What will the standards be in ten years?

You may discover that your device is no longer adequate to be useful due to speed, storage, or communication/file standards.

The hardware may not last that long. Hell, the battery could die and there may be no replacement in 5 years. Who knows.

My point is this, knowing the life expectancy of a device has more variables than you might imagine. Some are personal, some commercial, and some standards based (like 802.11b).

Ten years is an eternity and a half in today's technology. Tomorrow it will be two eternities ; )

In short, I don't belive there is an answer you could hang your hat on.

ExtremeSIMS
01-14-2003, 11:00 PM
10 years? Dear Lord, my wife will be happy if it lasts me 18 months. ;)

seanturner
01-15-2003, 12:58 AM
I don't know of any batteries that will keep going for 10 years...

802.11b is already looking at some replacements (802.11g but thankfully they are backward compatable).

The software will become incompatable.

spursdude
01-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Sure, you can imagine that it can last you for 10 years - right now, those specs seem great! However, that's what I've thought with nearly all the computer's I've gotten.

We got a Pentium 1, 133mhz computer many years back. Thought it was great, fast, and wouldn't need a replacement for a long time. Man, were we wrong - in a few yearsit started running out of enough RAM, processing power, hard disk space. The graphics card wouldn't support any games, and the modem was too slow.

The point is that most likely your PPC will be outdated in around 2 years, maybe, and you won't be able to get anything NEW for your PPC, because it won't be able to support it. Of course, if you only need it for basic functions, it may last you longer.

67stang
01-15-2003, 02:01 AM
Chances are you will "ebay it" in two-three years. No way you are gonna hold on to it for ten years, let alone actually use it!

My gut feeling is that it wont be but two years before affordable and widely avaibable PDA/Phone combos are the norm. The two technologies are bound to merge because people, like me, are annoyed by carrying multiple electronic devices in their pockets! I swear I feel like a ghetto high school kid with my pants sagging below my ass cheeks...

But anyway, i think screens and resolutions will get bigger, phone integration, and of course smaller chip sets, etc will lead to lighter, faster devices.

wrightca
01-16-2003, 07:35 PM
I don't know what having a wife has to do with it????

My wife didn't mind me getting a new e740 at all. That just meant she got my iPaq 3630. She was happy with that deal.

Anjuan Simmons
01-17-2003, 02:07 AM
I don't know what having a wife has to do with it????

My wife didn't mind me getting a new e740 at all. That just meant she got my iPaq 3630. She was happy with that deal.

I love my wife very much, but she is not a lover of PDA's! She would not be a happy camper if I suggested buying a new one for myself even five years from now. The only way I could make it work would be to get a second job to finance the purchase!

nolonemo
01-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Think about this. 10 years ago a screaming fast PC was running a DX2-66 CPU. How many of the apps you're presently using could you run with that? How many of the apps you were using 10 years ago are you still using?

Janak Parekh
01-17-2003, 03:40 AM
Think about this. 10 years ago a screaming fast PC was running a DX2-66 CPU. How many of the apps you're presently using could you run with that? How many of the apps you were using 10 years ago are you still using?
My thoughts exactly.

Additionally, in 10 years your battery will be dead and no one will be selling it. We won't be using 11mbps wireless, etc, etc, etc...

--janak