View Full Version : Sync Issues Related to USB?

clinechas
01-14-2003, 09:41 PM
I am surprised I haven't seen this issue on the Internet more:

Intermittent ActiveSync connection, becomes especially apparent when syncing 1+ MB of data (ie. Avantgo, MP3s). The summation of the battle in the Dell forum is here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=aximactivesync&message.id=24

Most people seem to be replacing their USB card, or adding a hub to resolve this issue. I wanted to gather thoughts, as I am having this same problem on my Gateway at work - but am able to sync fine with my Intel motherboard based system at home.

Pony99CA
01-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Intermittent ActiveSync connection, becomes especially apparent when syncing 1+ MB of data (ie. Avantgo, MP3s). The summation of the battle in the Dell forum is here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=aximactivesync&message.id=24

Most people seem to be replacing their USB card, or adding a hub to resolve this issue. I wanted to gather thoughts, as I am having this same problem on my Gateway at work - but am able to sync fine with my Intel motherboard based system at home.
I got disconnects in the middle of MP3s quite a bit. I'd be copying several to a CF card in my iPAQ 3870, the ActiveSync progress bar would seem to freeze, then the iPAQ would eventually give the ActiveSync disconnect sound. At the time, I was hooked into a Belkin mini-USB hub.

The advice I heard was to plug the USB cable directly into the USB port, and not through a hub. I don't remember whether or not I got the error much with a direct connection, but while copying two MP3s yesterday, one made it, but the second one died.

As I have a laptop, replacing the USB card isn't an option. If the problem recurs too much, I just pull my CF card from my iPAQ, put it in a PC Card adapter and copy the files directly to the CF card. :-)

Steve

ux4484
01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I've had both problems, when I was going through a hub, a AS reinstall did it, two days later, plugging the cradle directly into a USB port did it.
I have no trouble when I use the cable :? .
I'm thinking cradle problem :? :?
As the sides of the cradle are so shallow it seems easy to slightly mis-align the PDA, possibly causing a entropy type problem that gets worse with age.
My problems stopped with using a direct port, but I'm watching cautiously.

QtSmoopy
01-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Anyone out there attempted to install any skyscape medical software? (skyscape.com) I can install any other programs, however, whenever I attempt to download the software from my desktop to the PPC it will get half way through, then the connection just drops, my PPC makes the dredded noise indication it is NO longer sync-ing with the desktop. ANY ideas?? I run XP on my desktop and have the PPC connected via USB. I assume that my USB drivers are okay since I can sync and install other programs.
I am wondering if some software isn't compatible with the processor Intel PXA250? Is there that much of a difference that the HP and Compaq strongARM???
HELP, I love my Axim but I NEED these programs, if I can't get them then my Axim becomes a glorified game boy!! yuk!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janak Parekh
01-16-2003, 06:54 AM
I got disconnects in the middle of MP3s quite a bit. I'd be copying several to a CF card in my iPAQ 3870, the ActiveSync progress bar would seem to freeze, then the iPAQ would eventually give the ActiveSync disconnect sound. At the time, I was hooked into a Belkin mini-USB hub.
Hmm... I don't know about you, but I never had the patience to copy more than one MP3 via ActiveSync. CF readers/PC card adapters all the way :)

--janak

Janak Parekh
01-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Anyone out there attempted to install any skyscape medical software? (skyscape.com)
The program might just be very big, and therefore resembling the problem clinechas is talking about. I also believe there was a thread on this site (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5401&highlight=) dealing with a similar problem (dropped connections while doing AvantGo sync'ing).

--janak

Pony99CA
01-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Hmm... I don't know about you, but I never had the patience to copy more than one MP3 via ActiveSync. CF readers/PC card adapters all the way :)

Yeah, I know, but if my iPAQ is already in the cradle, I do it via ActiveSync. Popping my CF card out will likely disconnect me from ActiveSync (and therefore stop charging my battery most of the time), requiring me to do a full sync again when I reseat my iPAQ.

I don't mind that ActiveSync is slow copying large files, but I do mind get disconnected.

Steve