View Full Version : *****Do you think a Toshiba e310 would be good for a 13 year old?*****

kewlerthanu182
01-14-2003, 04:04 AM
I'm really thinking of getting a toshiba e310 pocket pc for about $200. I've looked up alot of info on it and found somethings that seem good to have. I think it would help me organize my self and help me in school (like the dictionary, word, excel, calculater, ect.). Also i think it would be fun when i got some spare time to kill like maybe on a car trip or just sitting in the waiting rooom somewhere some place like that i could listen to some mp3's or play some games. But $200 is a pretty lot of money for me to spend like that so i need to make a good choice. So do u guys think i should get one? (If you do could someone give me a good place to get one thats reliable and less than $250 i've found a few like pcrush.com and MPsomething.com but i'm not sure how reliable either of them are.

Also if you have a suggestion on a different PDA, Pocket pc, or palm that would fit me better that would be helpful. (my spending limit would be about $250)

heov
01-14-2003, 04:26 AM
depends... if your a computer geek, you'd love the pocket pc....

however, i would recommend the Audiovox Meastro (www.compusa.com for 300, 150 refurbished)... it's a bit bigger, but it's EXCELLENT for games and has a great speaker for mp3s... you'd love it, IMO... plus it's got both CF slot and an SD slot so memory won't be a problem...

kewlerthanu182
01-14-2003, 04:29 AM
I'm not a computer geek (i like computers to like go online and talk to my friends and play games and stuff) so yeah that sounds like a good pda i might go check it out. But does to refurb really work well and have a warrenty?

thanks for the info

kewlerthanu182
01-14-2003, 04:50 AM
ok I'm having a little trouble finding info on the Audiovox Meastro but it sounds pretty good but i'm kinda getting afraid of refurb (the e310 is a refurb too) they are making them seem like old junking non-working so they are selling them cheaper then u can't bring them back but i really don't know

spursdude
01-14-2003, 05:19 AM
ok I'm having a little trouble finding info on the Audiovox Meastro but it sounds pretty good but i'm kinda getting afraid of refurb (the e310 is a refurb too) they are making them seem like old junking non-working so they are selling them cheaper then u can't bring them back but i really don't know

Perhaps you can't find anything because it's spelled Maestro (a before e)...

I have an Audiovox Maestro. I got mine for $300 at CompUSA. I don't find the bulk to be much of a problem at all, although I could always use a slimmer device. There's a lot of good stuff going for this device - solid build, good design, rubber grips, low price, dual slots. The battery life is a bit lacking - you'll probably get about 3 or 4 hours of normal use, although that's not too much below other devices.

Another device you may want to check out is the Dell Axim. There are two versions of it, but either one will probably suit your needs. Though quite bulky, the device has GREAT battery life, a good screen, dual slots, and other nice features like a jog wheel. Also well priced - after rebates, I think the more expensive one is between $300 and $350.

So a lot of it depends on what you need - if you really like a well-designed device, go for either the Viewsonic V35, iPaq 1910, or Toshiba e3xx series.

If you want a more versatile device with more features and more expandibility, go with the Axim or the Maestro.

As for refurbished, I wouldn't get a refurbished model. This is a pretty big investment you're making, and you want to get the best possible product you can. You'll be sorry if you try to save a couple of bucks only to have your device not work as well as new one does.

Kati Compton
01-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Another device you may want to check out is the Dell Axim. There are two versions of it, but either one will probably suit your needs. Though quite bulky, the device has GREAT battery life, a good screen, dual slots, and other nice features like a jog wheel. Also well priced - after rebates, I think the more expensive one is between $300 and $350.

I was under the impression that the Axim was almost nearly the same size as the Maestro...

FWIW it's not a jog "wheel". I call it a scrollstick... It's a lever that you can push up or down and it'll recenter itself after you've pushed it up or down.

spursdude
01-14-2003, 06:34 AM

I was under the impression that the Axim was almost nearly the same size as the Maestro...

You're pretty much right, the Axim is only slightly larger. Maestro is 4.92 x 3.05 x .69", while the Axim is 5.00 x 3.2 x .70.

FWIW it's not a jog "wheel". I call it a scrollstick... It's a lever that you can push up or down and it'll recenter itself after you've pushed it up or down.

My bad. :D I need to see an Axim soon!

kewlerthanu182
01-14-2003, 10:17 PM
yeah that might be it (the spelling).

So u guys think the maestro and the Dell Axim would be better?

thanks for the info

kewlerthanu182
01-15-2003, 03:30 AM
ok this descision is getting tough. Lots of people on various message boards have been saying to get a maestro, e310, and alot of the dell axim.

Could some one list a comparison or something like that between these 3 because i keep hearing alot of everything. Here is what seems to be some applealing or bad things for each one.

Toshiba e310-I reseached the most and it got high scores in reviews and stuff, and awesome design.

Maestro-Seams like it's good for media stuff and cheap ($150)

Dell Axim (300 MHZ one b/c the other costs too much unless some one found one for $250 or under)- I don't know much at all about this buts many people are suggesting (and they come up with it meaning i haven't said anything then they bring it up) But does anyone have info on. I really need alot b/c i really don't have any. And i don't like how bulky it is (especially b/c i'm 13 and my pockets aren't huge)

So what do u guys think.

And i really could use pretty much ne thing on the Axim (info good deals, reviews, ur opinion, ne thing)

spursdude
01-15-2003, 03:42 AM
You can find the 400mhz Axim for $259...see Ed's post right here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65638).

You can see a comparison of the PPC's your looking at here (http://www.davespda.com/resources/compare/compare.cgi?10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000010000000000000000000000011000) or here (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/1,10708,0-2709830-423-0,00.html?id=9789407&id=20702372&).

CNet's review of the e310 can be found here (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-9789407.html?tag=lst), and their review of the Axim is here (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20702372.html?tag=lst). All 3 of the PPC's you were looking at were given Editor's Choice by CNet, although their review of the Maestro got lost a whiles back. CNet isn't, however, the best handheld reviewer around...

For the Axim, it really sounds and looks bulky online, but most Axim users say that it really isn't that bulky. Besides, it's not much bigger than the Maestro.

Like I said - the e310 has a great design, but only an SD slot, which is a bit more limited than a Compact Flash slot. The e310 has pretty solid battery life, from what I've heard, but the screen is a bit disappointing.

The Audiovox Maestro has a fairly good design, although it's a bit fat. It's got dual slots for ultimate expandibility, and it's definitely cheap. The battery life is a bit lacking, and the screen could be better.

The Axim, though inexpensive, is a great handheld. It's a little larger than the others (though barely larger than the Maestro. It has dual slots, a transflective screen (which means that it's brighter and easier to see, and much more enjoyable). The Axim has GREAT battery life, and also plenty of software included. The battery is user-replaceable - that's one advantage of getting the Dell.

If I were you, I would go with the Axim for a few reasons. Though the Maestro is great, Audiovox doesn't even manufacture it. They just grabbed a Toshiba e570, stripped it of 32MB RAM, and stamped a new name on it. Audiovox's support is quite unknowledgable (when I asked them if the Maestro supports Fast IR, they e-mailed me back saying "Test it and see what it is, because we're curious too."). The service is somewhat slow to respond also, and Audiovox has been a bit behind in releasing service updates.

The Dell is also a newer device, and has Dell's good service. Dell is also planning on making more accessories for it. As for bulk, it will probably fit in your pocket, or else you can always keep it in a backpack, jacket pocket, or somewhere else.

Honestly, you'll be overjoyed with any of these devices. :D

seanturner
01-15-2003, 03:47 AM
If you get a pocketpc and figure out how to use it, if you can type at all, I'd say even mroe important than the PPC itself is getting a Think Outside keyboard for it. They are full size keyboard that fold up to a portable size. But, if you can type faster than you write, I strongly recomend that you get one of those to take notes. Also, you can get things like the HP Mobile Printing Driver if your school uses printers with infrared and print that way.

kewlerthanu182
01-15-2003, 04:07 AM
ok i don't think i'm going to get the maestro for a few reasons. So now it's Axim vs. e310

And would the axim 300 and 400 be a huge difference?

I really love the e310 design and i don't like the axim size but it's managable. And the axim screen would be better. It's still a really hard choice

And yeah the notes thing sounds good too

seanturner
01-15-2003, 04:22 AM
Well, I hope this might help make your decision, here is a review (http://www.pdajunkie.net/Dell_Axim_Review.htm) of hte Dell Axim

kewlerthanu182
01-15-2003, 04:35 AM
Right now i think i'm going to buy the axim and thanks a ton spursdude and everyone else that helped.

Sept i have one more thing. Do you guys think i could get the rebate in before the dedline of Janurary 19?

I picked the Axim b/c i could get an awesome deal (thanx ^_^) for a new one (the e310 was about $250 to get to my house and thats refurbished) and the axim had alot more sofware and stuff u can add on and i have confidence in Dell.

ipaq38vette
01-15-2003, 05:14 AM
One other note-

Make sure you have a surplus of cash for extras, such as better battery, WiFi card, memory cards, software. You will be suprised about the amount of add-ons you will want.