View Full Version : WI-FI/Internet Connection Help

agquarters
01-14-2003, 12:37 AM
First of all let me say that I am a new Pocket PC user. To make matters worse, you could say that I am also "computer/network illiterate." My question is:

I have a new Toshiba e740 with the built-in WI-FI adapter. At home, I have a wireless networked desktop computer that is connected to a cable modem. I am trying to:

1. Connect my Pocket PC to the wireless network. I think I have achieved this, but I just want assistance in making sure I have indeed accomplished this.

2. Once I know that I am connected to the wireless network, I want to connect to the internet through the wireless network. How do I configure the Internet Explorer in my Pocket PC to access my cable modem? What do I have to do to access the internet?

Please help.... 8O

spursdude
01-14-2003, 01:39 AM
1. Connect my Pocket PC to the wireless network. I think I have achieved this, but I just want assistance in making sure I have indeed accomplished this.

I suppose the best way to figure out if you're connected to the network is either to get online (which some other friendly Thoughts user can help you do :wink: ) or open up File Explorer, click on the network button on the bottom bar (that is, the one with the hand on the bottom of it), put in your computer's name, and see if you can browse the computer.

Of course, most of the point of a wireless network would be to get online, so I suppose getting online is your biggest goal. :D

Kevin C. Tofel
01-14-2003, 02:12 AM
Question number 2 may require proxy server software on the desktop PC that is connected to your wireless network. You can download a free one at http://www.analogx.com. It will require some minor configuration, but the readme file should get you through it. You will need to know the IP address of the desktop PC.

In essense, once you have the proxy software setup, your wireless PDA will send requests to the desktop PC. That PC acts as a "proxy", requests content from the internet for the PDA and then returns that content to the PDA through your wireless network.

Even if you are new to networking, you should get this up and running with a little patience. In addition, it will give you some more networking experience! Impress your non-techie friends the next time you see them: "I set up a proxy server this week....what did you do?"
:D

Good luck!
KCT