View Full Version : Adjusting volume from any program? Is there a DA-Apps program for PPC?

Deslock
01-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Is there a way to adjust volume when running games that don't have volume control and don't let you switch apps? This seems to be common with many PPC games, and exiting out and restarting game is time consuming. With PalmOS, I could enter a couple strokes with the stylus while running *any* program and popup a DA-app to adjust volume settings. For those who aren’t familiar with PalmOS’ DA-apps, they provided multitasking like-functionality (though it was really still task switching) by running various utilities in pop-up windows. I ran DA-apps for adjusting volume, pasting the date (or date and time), popping up a calculator, popping up a conversion program, popping up and MP3 player, etc... They all ran instantly. Is there a DA-Apps type program for PPC?

Rirath
01-13-2003, 03:10 AM
I'd say just get Wisbar and be done with it. This isn't the Palm OS, and you're gonna to have to search a bit for apps that do the same things you're looking for. It's out there, if you just look. 6 posts back to back about simple topics is a little extreme.

spursdude
01-13-2003, 03:20 AM
6 posts back to back about simple topics is a little extreme.

Well, if he's got 6 legitimate questions, I don't see any problem. These boards are to help people who don't really know too much about PPC.

Deslock - I can't think of any program that could do what you talk about. Many games will have a volume slider bar or options to turn sound on / off. One option you have is to buy a pair of headphones with an in-line volume control, although I'm sure that's a little more hassle than you would like.

My suggestion is probably to search around on the PPC sites - Handango (http://www.handango.com), Freewareppc.com (http://www.freewareppc.com), or PPCSG.com (http://www.ppcsg.com/links.php).

If you check around some previous posts, you'll find more links and such. You can also try to utilize the forum search feature, although I'm not sure there will be anything on these boards to help you.

Pony99CA
01-13-2003, 03:54 AM
Is there a way to adjust volume when running games that don't have volume control and don't let you switch apps? This seems to be common with many PPC games, and exiting out and restarting game is time consuming.

Could you name a few of the games you're referring to? I know things like Snails and Peter's Game Box take over the screen (which I hate).

If you had an iPAQ 5450, you could do it, as it has hardware buttons to control the volume, but I see you have a 1910.

I'm worried that anything that skins the titlebar will be hidden by a full-screen game, but I don't know for sure. Last year, when I had an iPAQ 3650, I used to run GigaBar, but I don't think it worked properly in full-screen applications.

Steve

Deslock
01-13-2003, 01:40 PM
I'd say just get Wisbar and be done with it. This isn't the Palm OS, and you're gonna to have to search a bit for apps that do the same things you're looking for. It's out there, if you just look. 6 posts back to back about simple topics is a little extreme.
I'm running Wisbar; it doesn't do what I'm asking for. I've searched through all the sites spursdude mentioned and more; I haven't found any solution... it may simply not be possible with PPC, unfortunately.

Why is posting 6 questions seperately extreme? I originally composed one post with all the questions, but it was a little long so I figured I should break them up.

Pony99CA: Argentum and 3D Star Fighter Pilot are a couple of them. There are more...

Pony99CA
01-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Why is posting 6 questions seperately extreme? I originally composed one post with all the questions, but it was a little long so I figured I should break them up.

I don't think it was extreme. In fact, posting each question separately allows you to have a more descriptive topic title, which is a good thing. People shouldn't use topic titles like "Help" or "Questions" -- at least, not if they really want help. :-)

Steve