View Full Version : Bluetooth Blues

Happy_e335_Owner
01-11-2003, 06:44 PM
I have a Toshiba e335 with a bluetooth SD Card and a mitsumi usb dongle on my xp PC When I connect with bluetooth I cannot access the internet until I activate activesync, and even then my connection drops after about a minute. When I look at the connection details on my PDA it says the connection is uhtrusted.

Any idea how I can remedy this situation?

daS
01-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Unless you have a Bluetooth Access Point to connect directly to the Internet, then you will need to have ActiveSync running in order to get the desktop to “pass through” the Internet connection to the Pocket PC. In other words, what you are seeing is normal.

As for the “untrusted” connection, that’s something that I can’t help you with because so far I don’t have a Toshiba card to work with.

Janak Parekh
01-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Unless you have a Bluetooth Access Point to connect directly to the Internet, then you will need to have ActiveSync running in order to get the desktop to “pass through” the Internet connection to the Pocket PC. In other words, what you are seeing is normal.
Not entirely true, at least not on my 3870, which supports the LAN profile and can do a connection through my desktop PC without ActiveSync; it then uses ICS on the desktop to go out to the Internet.

Happy_e335_Owner, have you "bonded" or "paired" the devices together? It sounds exactly as if you haven't done so, and the connection is dropped as a security measure.

--janak

daS
01-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Not entirely true, at least not on my 3870, which supports the LAN profile and can do a connection through my desktop PC without ActiveSync; it then uses ICS on the desktop to go out to the Internet.

Of course! I stand corrected. One question I do have is why does anyone want to do this? I rarely use my PPC for web access, and then only when I'm away from a computer with a screen larger than 1/4 VGA. I've never understood the point of getting web access on the PPC while at home. Perhaps someone can give me some examples of how this is used. (Other than the obvious, I do it just because it can be done. :P )

Janak Parekh
01-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Of course! I stand corrected. One question I do have is why does anyone want to do this?
Maybe if you're sitting downstairs in front of the TV and want to look up something? In my case, I set it up in my office, so I can be in the adjoining office or hopefully the lab across the hallway and still get reception. Need to test that. :)

--janak

Happy_e335_Owner
01-12-2003, 03:24 AM
It's nice to be able to check my e-mail while sitting downstairs on the couch, and well...just because it can be done.

The device is bonded, but when I look at the connection on the PPC, it says untrusted...not sure how to make it trusted...

Can anyone perhaps shed some light here?

Happy_e335_Owner
01-15-2003, 05:22 AM
It's funny, because when I sync in the cradle, activesync stays connected after the syncronization is complete.

When I'm connected via bluetooth, the syncronization completes, and then Activesync disconnects...

Has anyone else seen the same thing happening?

daS
01-15-2003, 05:36 AM
When I'm connected via bluetooth, the syncronization completes, and then Activesync disconnects...

In ActiveSync (on the Pocket PC) go to the Tools > Options... menu.

Select the Schedule tab and you should see a check box near the bottom of the screen that reads: When synchronizing remotely with my PC, disconnect when complete

If it's checked, try unchecking it.

fmcpherson
01-15-2003, 08:05 PM
It's funny, because when I sync in the cradle, activesync stays connected after the syncronization is complete.

You need to change how ActiveSync handles remote synchronization. Start ActiveSync on your Pocket PC and then tap Tools, Options. Tap the Schedule tab and clear the last check box on the form.