View Full Version : T-mobile Pocket PC phone- Is it worth the switch?

bspeed
01-11-2003, 03:36 PM
I have an IPaq 3975 and the T-mobile side kick. While I love the free wireless downloading of the Sidekick, the phone has a lot to be desired.
I am thinking of buying the T-mobile Pocket PC phone. Can anyone that has this phone give me their comments as to the good and bad of this device?
I appreciate your comments!

Bob

Cortex
01-11-2003, 08:06 PM
here's my comments but they arent up to date....

well, turns out my host is down :(

bottom line is i like having a combo device and i would rate the utility of the phone as 3 to 4 out of 5.

the rom upgrade has made a big difference and as you know from the sidekick, having instant access to chats, the web, and email is very nice.

here's a copy of the prior thoughts -- some of the issues have been addressed with the rom upgrade:

The following is a collection of post’s on different sites and other info pertaining to T-Mobile’s Pocket PC Phone that might be useful for other users.

Feel free to email me with questions: [email protected]

My Initial Impression of the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone:

So it took a long time for me to finally get a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone...

I'm impressed by several things and annoyed by others.

Here are the things that bug me:
1. Its too slick -- it always feels like I'm going to drop it (and have twice aready)
2. The power button is flaky -- it locks up sometimes and requires a hard reset. *** Fixed with the ROM upgrade
3. The speaker pops sometimes (quite loudly!) while using the phone -- this may be from a weak signal but still annoying.
4. Its difficult to use the phone with one hand, even with the speed dial *** Fixed with VoiceDial
5. The volume button is easy to press and often accidently turns on the device.
6. A larger screen with more colors would have been nice -- its noticeable on movies.
7. I'm really only using Agenda Fusion, GigaBar, and spb GPRS Monitor and yet have to reset the device often. This seems to always occur when I'm trying to quickly use the device such as making a call or taking notes. *** Fixed with ROM upgrade
8. The cradle is top heavy requiring both hands to remove the device.
9. The stylus is too short and narrow *** I'm a little more used to it
10. You cant scale contrast and brightness
11. You cant toggle the speakerphone during a call *** I was wrong -- you can and you can even record the call if you want!

Things that impress me with the device:
1. The battery life is remarkably good. Without formal testing it seems better than my last handheld (casio em500) and is definately better than my Sprint phone.
2. There is a lot of function packed into a tiny package especially considering the price (299 at amazon or compusa)

Overall my feelings are mixed but generally positive. I'm having a hard time getting rid of my sprint cellphone because of the lockups and some of the quirkiness of dialing with the T-mobile. *** The ROM upgrade freed me

How much data should I Buy:

I check my email 1-2 times, chat on MSN Messenger for about 15 minutes, and download 3-4 webpages per day and use only 70 kbytes per day. So the 10 Mb plan will be more than enough for me. Also a T-Mobile representative told me that although I have a year contract for phone service -- I can cancel the data service at anytime.

Cases for the T-Mobile:

Depends on the type of case you want

I personally dont like the tight fitting cases you leave on the device while you use them (like the one that came with it -- although it is pretty high quality for a default case).

I ended up buying a case from CompUSA for the Toshiba eXXX series devices that works well. Its just a rectangular box with an open top and a leather strap to hold the device in. the length is perfect and it has an open bottom for syncing as well as access to the SD slot. It also has SD card pockets on the back and a nice swivel belt clip. Works well.

My only gripes are it has a snap button for the strap rather than velcro (the button risks scratching the device when removing it). Also the width is slightly too big.

$20 at CompUSA
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...=565&e=11171706
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...ct_code=294169#

Other sites:
http://www.vajacases.com/
http://www.ebcases.com/

*** there is a very nice looking skin case that just came out here:
http://www.3elimited.com/cgi-bin/co...e=o2zdapda.html

http://www.tuff-as-nuts.com/O2-XDA.html

WiFi vs Pocket PC Phone:

I am looking into purchasing my first pocket pc this christmas, but have some questions that I keep coming back to. Thought if I posted on them, I might be able to get a little more direction from the experts.

What PPC to buy?
I am looking for a PPC that I can use on my home wireless 802.11b network to AIM, Email, and Web Browse.
I am also looking for a PPC that I can also use as my main telephone and on-the-road data.

At first glance, for the telephony features, I figured that a PPC Phone Edition was the way to go, until I noticed that these devices do not come with a CF expansion slot. All the WiFi cards I've found are CF cards. Does that mean I won't be able to use it on my home network? Although I could just use say T-Mobile's data plan for my internet apps, I don't see the point in not using the broadband connection that I already pay $40/month for.

So then where do I turn to? Axim vs. IPAQ. These devices not only come complete with the CF expansion slots that I'm looking for, but also the prospect of integrated WiFi! But alas, no GPRS. I could get a GPRS telephony card, but know very little about what to buy and how well they actually work. And not to mention, I'd still have to use headphones.

Would you guys recommend I go with the T-Mobile or the Axim-or-IPAQ?

And am I hearing right, AIM for PPC cost $20 or $20/month or something? What kind of scam is that? I read somewhere that there is a Trillian for PPC, that's still free right?

Help, please.

REPLY:
I recently went through similar gyrations and ultimately bought the T-Mobile PPCPE for 299 through Amazon (and I recently noticed that CompUSA is offering the same deal + a digital camera!).

I dont think there is a CF phone card available in the US yet and the only Pocket PC phone is the T-Mobile/AT&T.

So if you really want to browse on WiFi you should look at the Axim (MY VOTE), Toshiba, Ipaq or other CF toting pocket PC. To my knowledge there are no WiFi SD cards available so you will need a CF slot.

I have a wireless network in my home and also use an ultralight Viao around the house for web browsing. Even still, I thought it would be fun to have my PPC connected as well and considered getting a Dell. After browsing the web with GPRS on my T-Mobile I decided WiFi on a pocket PC wouldn't be great. The screen is too small and many plugins arent supported. I recommend getting a used ultralight laptop for portable home WiFi -- you can get the older Sony's which have excellent utility and nice screens for about 700 on eBay.

Now, having internet access and a phone is a different story. You can read a post I recently placed on the PPCPE topic forums for my initial impression of the T-Mobile. Overall I think its a great deal for 299 and its really fun to be in a boring meeting, pull up MSN Messenger, and chat with friends/family, read Pocket PC Thoughts, or check my email.

I have had better phones though and I haven't gotten used to dialing with it quickly. Also the phone quality is less than my prior Sprint phone where I live, which is probably a coverage issue. If you have CompUSA near you I would recommend getting the T-Mobile from them (with the free camera if they offer this near you) so you can return it if the coverage isn't good.

PS: I'm going to stick my comments about the T-Mobile on my website if you want more info...

http://www.brainthoughts.com/ppcpe.html

Ron

Which IM Program:

Instant Messenger (IM) Programs are programs that allow you create lists of users (friends) and then signals when those friends are online so that you can type messages to them real-time. I only know of two versions for the Pocket PC – MSN Messenger which comes with it and AOL Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger for Pocket PC was discontinued.

As far as IM on the PPCPE goes, I'm using MSN Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger would have been great since you can quickly check your email as well as have access to news but for some reason they quit supporting it this summer and it no longer works :(

I've tried JabberCE but couldnt get it to connect and couldnt find Trillian for PPC. Haven't tried AIM though.

Sprint and Samsung’s i700:

A couple more comments about Sprint. I had been holding out for Sprint to release Samsungs i700 because Sprint has a better phone plan than T-Mobile, with unlimited nights and weekends AND people have said that the $10 extra Vision plan can provide UNLIMITED data for the Toshiba Thera and Handspring Treo.

2 problems though:
1. The rumors of the i700 have been around since this Summer and still no sign of it.
2. It will probably cost 2x the T-Mobile if and when if finally does arrive.

What Programs are Essential for the Pocket PC Phone:

1. GigaBar
2. spb GPRS Monitor
3. VoiceDial

Using GigaBar:

GigaBar is a powerful application controller with a very small icon based interface. It can cause PAIN AND SUFFERING if you do not set it up properly.

Learning to use the program is a little difficult and does require reading the instructions -- but for all of the "thumbs down" in these reviews -- doing the following will help.
1. When you install Gigabar, it actually installs as 4 separate programs. GigaStatus, GigaBar, GigaFolder, MemStatus. The ActiveSync installer will attempt to run 4 times which can be confusing, but all 4 programs should be installed for all the functionality.
2. Once it installs goto Control Panel->Settings->GigaBar to start the GigaBar configuration program.

The GigaBar interface is based on icons that can be tapped with your cursor in different ways (TAP METHOD) (tap, double tap, tap left/right/updown, tap/hold) to run different programs.

The FIRST THING TO DO IS ASSIGN FUNCTIONS THAT WILL CONTROL THE GIGABAR PROGAM ITSELF TO A BUTTON AND SAVE THAT CONFIGURATION.

Most of the complaints on this site are because people setup GIGABAR without an "Ok" or "Cancel" or "Close GigaBar" button and then could no longer control their handheld or get out of the program!

If youve just installed the program and opened the configuration program you should see a red thumbs down icon (this is the "Cancel" icon) and a green thumbs up icon (this is the "Ok" icon) on the left of the bar, and a clock on the right. The clock is actually a controllable icon that can launch or control programs!

The Configuration Program allows you to do 3 main things: 1. place control icons on the GigaBar 2. select a tap method for that icon 3. assign a program or function for a particular tap method

1. A ICON box in the center of the control program allows you to select the icon to modify or to add new icons (click and hold in an empty part of the box to open the menu for this). The MemStat and Status icons are especially useful since in addition to being icons, they show your memory status and batter status/mute status.

WHILE YOURE LEARNING HOW TO USE GIGABAR MAKE SURE YOU ASSIGN "Ok" "Cancel" "Close GigaBar" "GigaBar Settings" TO AN ICON.

To assign these to the Clock icon, do the following:

1. In the Icon Box select "Clock".
2. In the Action pulldown menu select "Menu 6:"
3. In the Function pulldown select "Internals" (it will expand to give you more choices) then select "Close GigaBar".

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Menu 7:", and in step 3 select "Save Scheme"

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Tap:", and in step 3 select "Ok"

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Double Tap:", and in step 3 select "Cancel".

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Tap Left:", and in step 3 select "Folder View" (instead of Internals) and select "Files".

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Tap Right:", and in step 3 select "Folder View" (instead of Internals) and select "Start Menu".

Now repeat step 2 but choose "Menu 8:", and in step 3 select "Control Panel" (instead of Internals or Folder View) and select "GigaBar".

Now click the green thumbs up to apply these settings.

Now tap and hold the clock and a menu will come down that will have your new settings on it. You will want to save your newly modified GigaBar configuration so select "Menu 7: Save Scheme". Type the name you want to call this GigaBar Configuration and save it.

Now you can quickly do things like open a miniture version of File Explorer just by swiping a tap in a leftward direction over the clock icon. Or open a miniture start menu by tapping to the right over clock. Or tapping once for "Ok" or double tapping for "Cancel". Now to continue playing with other GigaBar settings click and hold the clock and select Menu 8: GigaBar

Once you create more icons and assign programs to them and run them, icons for the running programs will appear on the left side of the bar. You can close the programs by clicking and holding those icons.

GigaBar is very powerful and the most efficient way to run programs and other functions (such as "Copy" "Paste" "Select All") that are very powerful with the tap of an icon but be sure you setup the GigaBar configuration with a way to escape ("Ok" "Cancel" "Close GigaBar")!

Enjoy

Camera for the T-Mobile:

Here's my idea for a camera since the XDA does not currently supports an SDIO slot. I bought this camera:

http://www.aiptek.com/products/digital/sd.htm

and hope to receive it in about a week. The only drawback is that it only supports up to 128mb of memory. So, if you have a 256 or greater card, it won't work. I don't know why, I haven't asked. Anyway, the images are about as impressive as my old Jornada camera I used to have it would seem, but this one captures video as well. We shall see, interesting.

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Whoah, long answer there. I have friends who have the PPCPE and Sidekick, and I can say this: if you're willing to give up always-on email/IM, the PPCPE is an excellent device. Unfortunately it has a tendency to lose the GPRS connection when it goes to power-saving idle mode.

FWIW, the Sidekick will eventually have Outlook sync. I know it's being developed by Puma and is currently in beta...

--janak

bspeed
01-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your lengthly explanation. I appreciate it!
Someone was mentioing "stinger" and stated I should wait.
Can you fill me on what stinger is, and how it would relate to a PPC\phone.

Thanks

Bob