View Full Version : Microsoft .NET Server & Exchange 2003

rfischer
01-11-2003, 05:23 AM
I received my Beta credentials from Microsoft today and downloaded .NET Server 2003 RC2 & Exchange 2003 Beta 1. Apparently, Mobile Information Server is not needed anymore, it's all built into Exchange 2003! I am installing them on a spare 1 GHz PC with 756MB of RAM that I have. If successfully configured, I should be able to perform an ActiveSync connection directly with the server as well as use Outlook Mobile Access to check email via browser with my T-Mobile "XDA". The downside is that once the trial expires, I will most likely not shell out the zillion dollars for the software and I'll have to go back to my old free POP3 mail server.

If anyone is interested, I'll post my results and opinions.

Cheers,
Richard

icatar
01-11-2003, 05:56 AM
I'm interested!

rfischer
01-11-2003, 06:30 AM
Server is up and running. Now accepting mail for my domain. Tried initial configs according to MS docs. Cannot sync yet. OMA web-mail also returning ASP errors. I'll try and work out the kinks this weekend. Time for sleep. BTW - The new Outlook Web Access rocks! The interface is excellent!

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 08:01 AM
BTW - The new Outlook Web Access rocks! The interface is excellent!
This is one of the main new advertised features of 2003 to try and compel people to upgrade. I've deployed Exchange 5.5 and 2000, and one of the most popular features by far is OWA. Trivial to understand for any end-user.

BTW, it's no longer ".NET Server", it's "Windows Server 2003". :D

--janak

ThomasC22
01-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Did they finally put a spell check into OWA is this release? That's what been holding me back from using it.

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 08:39 PM
Yes (http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/ti/whatsnew.asp).

--janak

ThomasC22
01-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Yes (http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/ti/whatsnew.asp).

I'm glad you provided that link, I hadn't checked in a while and didn't realize it was available to order (along with Office 11 AND Windows 2003 Server). Still think I should get it as a given with my MSDN subscription, but whats $12 among friends...

--janak

Just so you know, I'm going to steadfastly refuse to call you anything but BDJ, and no I don't care which name you had first. To change I would have to acknowledge that people have real names and are not just virtual manifestations of opinions for my amusement. It's just not a realization I'm willing to make(this might make me seem a little crazy, but in my opinion, if this is the first thing I've ever posted that made you realize I was a little crazy, that says more about you than it does about me). :D

Plus, I don't even know how to pronounce Janak :crazyeyes:

Janak Parekh
01-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Still think I should get it as a given with my MSDN subscription, but whats $12 among friends...
Do you have MSDN Universal? I'd be pretty shocked if you can't download Exch2k3 and WS2k3 betas.

Just so you know, I'm going to steadfastly refuse to call you anything but BDJ, and no I don't care which name you had first.
Fine! Be that way! :P

To change I would have to acknowledge that people have real names and are not just virtual manifestations of opinions for my amusement.
Isn't your first name Thomas? Or are you in denial? :lol:

Plus, I don't even know how to pronounce Janak :crazyeyes:
You're not the first, and you won't be the last. Most people pronounce my name wrong anyway... so long as you pronounce the J as a hard J and not a Y, I'm happy no matter what the rest turns out as (in fact, the rest is mostly phonetic). :)

--janak

that_kid
01-13-2003, 02:58 AM
This is cool, as I type this I'm downloading the beta now. I'll have to strap together another test lab and see how it works. I have exchange 2000 deployed now and the biggest reason to upgrade is the built in mis server. Thanks for the heads up.

seanturner
01-13-2003, 03:01 AM
They also have a new feature called OMA which is pretty cool. Its basically and entirely text based version of your tasks, email, and calendar.

Janak Parekh
01-13-2003, 03:03 AM
They also have a new feature called OMA which is pretty cool. Its basically and entirely text based version of your tasks, email, and calendar.
... where OMA = Outlook Mobile Access. It has a WAP front end so you can access all your info from a cell phone (or from the WAP functions in Pocket IE) in those emergencies :)

I've tried Exch2k+MIS, and while our sysadmin has had a heck of a time getting MIS working perfectly, it's a pretty powerful combo. Exch2k3 will indeed be a useful upgrade if it works out.

--janak

seanturner
01-13-2003, 03:05 AM
[quote=seanturner]It has a WAP front end so you can access all your info from a cell phone (or from the WAP functions in Pocket IE) in those emergencies :)

--janak

Yeah, all you need to get it to work is an internet connection (and it works fine for me with 128 bit ssl). But, I figure though that if I have a pocketpc i might as well just use the built in inbox application for email as with OMA it only gives you a one line text box for text entry. Quite tedious if you want to write an entire email.

ThomasC22
01-13-2003, 05:05 AM
This is cool, as I type this I'm downloading the beta now. I'll have to strap together another test lab and see how it works. I have exchange 2000 deployed now and the biggest reason to upgrade is the built in mis server. Thanks for the heads up.

Keep in mind the Download doesn't include Windows Server 2003 or Office 11 which are a big part of getting the whole package.

Isn't your first name Thomas? Or are you in denial? :lol:

Well, I go by Tom, that's what makes it ok :)

You're not the first, and you won't be the last. Most people pronounce my name wrong anyway... so long as you pronounce the J as a hard J and not a Y, I'm happy no matter what the rest turns out as (in fact, the rest is mostly phonetic). :)

BigDaddyJ, it's as hard a J as you can get :lol:

seanturner
01-13-2003, 05:26 AM
Keep in mind the Download doesn't include Windows Server 2003 or Office 11 which are a big part of getting the whole package.

But if you order the cd which you only pay shipping for, you Exchange 2003 Beta 2, Office 11 Beta 1, and Windows Server 2003 RC2. :D