View Full Version : Replacement for WWCalc (Diet Tracking Program) That Isn't Slow?

Deslock
01-10-2003, 08:01 PM
WWCalc for the Palm was fast and auto-completed your entries. I could turn it on, enter my meal, and have it back in my pocket within a few seconds. On top of that, it was free (though I'm not worried about shelling out for an equivalent program if it's decent).

I've tried both Pocket Diet Tracker and Personal Health. They are painful to use... I have to constantly wait for database lists to populate and both programs are generally sluggish. I've actually timed the difference: even with Personal Health or Pocket Diet Tracker already running, it takes me 15-25 seconds to enter most food items while WWCalc takes only 3-5 seconds.

I really like the HP1910 and I don't want to have to carry my old T665C around at the same time.

Any suggestions? (I know a unit with a faster CPU will help, but the HP1910 is the *only* PPC with a formfactor I like)

Thanks!

mel
01-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Personal Health has a "Favorites" feature that lets you add your most commonly used food items to a favorites list. If you use that feature, it only takes 2 clicks to enter your meal, and is generally accomplished in under 5 seconds. Have you tried this feature? (Click New->Meal to see the favorites list).

Deslock
01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Personal Health has a "Favorites" feature that lets you add your most commonly used food items to a favorites list. If you use that feature, it only takes 2 clicks to enter your meal, and is generally accomplished in under 5 seconds. Have you tried this feature? (Click New->Meal to see the favorites list).
I have, however, it'll take me a long time to build up that list to include all my common foods (I eat a varied diet). Also, on the HP1910, it still takes 10 seconds. I end up staring at the little wait symbol for 1-2 seconds after hitting the meal button, taking 1-2 seconds to choose the item from the list, 2-3 seconds for the meal properties to appear, and 3-4 more seconds for the screen to clear after hitting OK. If I'm looking at a long favorites list, it'll take longer to choose.

Conversely, with WWCalc, if I'm entering that I've already eaten, it takes less than 1 second! There is no lag whatsoever. I switch to the program, click on the field, enter the first couple of letters of my food, and click on my choice from the auto-complete-list. I don't need to hit OK or do anything else.

If I can't get something that fast, that's alright. But I want it to be useable.

Out of curiosity, what PPC are you using and how long does it take to do those things?

Sven Johannsen
01-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Can't tell you much about it, but have you looked at PLOG?
http://www.graphxsoftware.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

Deslock
01-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Can't tell you much about it, but have you looked at PLOG?
http://www.graphxsoftware.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I just tried it out and it's even slower. Sigh...

Why is the Palm (at 33 or 66 MHz) so much faster at populating drop-down boxes and list-boxes?