View Full Version : Is the only good pocket pc a connected pocket pc

Willmonwah
01-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I was talking to my aunt and uncle about pocket pc uses and since my aunt is a doctor, the use of PDA's to carry around medical info came up. I was speaking of Pocket PC's in this industry as a plus, but he quickly turned the topic to how devices that claim to make our lives easier actually make us lazier. We could get more done, but do we actually? was basically his point.

I thought about it, and the only aspect where the pocket pc is immune (?) to this argument is it's ability to communicate wirelessly (for which he had another argument, but it dealt with the eventual ubiquity of places that offer access).

Is this true? That an unconnected PDA (no expansions, or special add-ons) is just an alternative to more traditional ways of doing things?

"Doctors used to just remember the information." :?

[Will]

blazingwolf
01-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Sure, but is it really any different then pen and paper? I mean it really just switched places. Now things are stored in computer memory and on hard drives. I'm a paramedic and I use my Ipaq to help with drug information I couldn't hope to memorize. That's where my Ipaq comes in very handy. I find it to be a lot easier to carry than a PDR. Now as technology becomes greater it becomes much easier to communicate with things like PDAs and computers. I don't mean verbal commuincation either. How many times have we heard about people not being able to read Doctor's handwriting. This is where, IMHO, PDAs and computers excel. Anyway I'm glad I have mine. :D

WyattEarp
01-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Any PDA that can hold all the information you need on a daily basis is an assest. I say this because connected or unconnected a PDA will never get bigger or heavier due to the amount of information you put in it.

Computers were suppose to make our lives easier but many people don't know how and are unware of what has to be done to make it so.

But like I always say there's nothing like having all the information you need right in the palm of your hand.

Willmonwah
01-09-2003, 05:23 AM
How many times have we heard about people not being able to read Doctor's handwriting. This is where, IMHO, PDAs and computers excel. Anyway I'm glad I have mine.

That's what I should have said :D

[Will]

Willmonwah
01-09-2003, 05:30 AM
But like I always say there's nothing like having all the information you need right in the palm of your hand.

That's what any normal person would say, what what he (my uncle) is saying, is that people in the olden days used to be able to remember things... It's like having glasses or any other form of vision correction. What did people used to do before glasses were invented? I've heard ways your vision gets ruined- genetics, reading in the dark, etc.

I don't know... I personally would've been one of those people constantly forgetting things. At least now I've got my PPC.

[Will]