View Full Version : Ok, so I'm Trying the Bluetooth Thing Again...

Jason Dunn
01-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Only this time, it's not for me, it's for a client of mine who has a <a href="http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/content/phones/Phone_Details.asp?shopperID=4AE9UHN74TS92L49001J0A60JURE8SB0&name=nokia+6310i&number=41">Nokia 6310i</a>, a Dell Axim, and a Socket Bluetooth CF card. This is my first time configuring a Bluetooth phone to talk to a Pocket PC, so does anyone have any pointers? Does anyone have this phone? If so, how hard did you find configuring it? I'm asking all of you because the local cell carrier probably won't be of much help if (when?) I run into trouble.<br /><br />Can you tell I have low expectations here? Let's hope I'm wrong!

bdegroodt
01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Jason-

Please please please don't have low expectations. I know BT had its issues early on, but I swear it's the most important tech addition to my life in 2002.

I use a 3975 and an Ericsson t68i and those 2 were born lovers. Worked perfectly the first time out of the box.

Is your client using a GPRS service or a circuit switched connection? That will make a difference on the set up. If you let me know, I can direct you to some decent sites that explain in detail. Also, who is the carrier?

crackerheads
01-08-2003, 08:55 PM
bdegroodt-

Could you please post links for both GPRS and circuit switched connections? I am currently using a circuit switched connection and it's giving me problems. I can connect, but usually get disconnected within 5 minutes. I have been considering using GPRS instead. I'd like to read up on both types some more and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!
Chung Tang

FredMurphy
01-08-2003, 08:55 PM
I don't have a Nokia so can't help with that, but I've found my Socket BT card to be excellent. Good product and helpful forums.

Things to check are:
* Card is firmware version 2.170 (see Advanced features/My Bluetooth Device) for Bluetooth SIG 1.1 compliance
* Latest WinCE drivers are 120E

OBEX and file transfer are still in beta until Feb (but work well if you need them).

Fred

moaske
01-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Just some things to bear in mind: as far as i know the Nokia works in passive mode, so it could get a little troublesome to bond the two.
Concerning the Socket card: it's the best you could've gotten. The driver software is very user friendly, and there's a wizard which will help you through.

Good luck with configuring this killer-combo, cause that's what i think of the PPC/BT-enabled-phone combination.

Remember: connectivity itself IS the TRUE Killer-app !!!

Vincent M Ferrari
01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
My boss got one. Problem is, unless I remember incorrectly, it doesn't support GPRS and if you're on T-Mobile/Cingular, the speed of the data will be abysmal, as his was. I know it's expensive, but as far as data usability he would probably be much happier with a T68...

Vincent M Ferrari
01-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention: Set up is relatively easy and the bluetooth reception itself is pretty good.

bdegroodt
01-08-2003, 09:07 PM
My boss got one. Problem is, unless I remember incorrectly, it doesn't support GPRS and if you're on T-Mobile/Cingular, the speed of the data will be abysmal, as his was. I know it's expensive, but as far as data usability he would probably be much happier with a T68...

It supports GPRS. GPRS speeds have come up a lot since it was first rolled out. I speak from personal experience. When TM rolled it out here in the city, I got faster connections using dial up and a proxy. Now, I can't complain about it at all. Especially for email.

However...who wouldn't be happier with a T68? I am! :P

Bandito
01-08-2003, 09:12 PM
I had a 6310i for a short period of time and a friend of mine has one. I was able to pair the 6310i with my USB Bluetooth dongle without a problem. I've also been able to pair it with my Socket BT card without a problem. As far as I remember, all of the communication should be initiated by the Pocket PC, not the phone, including the pairing process. This isn't mandatory, but in my experience it is more reliable. My only problem with this phone was Nokia's synchronization software, which would not find my USB dongle as the software only looks for Nokia or Socket brand BT adapters. This shouldn't be an issue with the Pocket PC and Socket card.

I have a fair bit of experience with Bluetooth in this area and am more than willing to answer any specific questions you have or help out with any problems you encounter.

Also, in response to vincenzosi's post, the 6310i does indeed support GPRS, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Prosit!

Monty Gibson
01-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Sorry; but to be honest "Bluetooth" is horrible (Sucks, blows, ralphs, hurls [insert insulting opinion here]).

My $0.02. Which isn't much.

bdegroodt
01-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Sorry; but to be honest "Bluetooth" is horrible (Sucks, blows, ralphs, hurls [insert insulting opinion here]).

Grrrrrrr!!!! :twisted:

jpaq
01-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Jason,

I have an Ericsson T68 and the Socket BT card and it works great. Socket even throws in a nice little phone dialer app. that allows you to dial a contacts number through tap and hold. Nifty.

As far as the Nokia, I cannot say that I am familiar with it but you are hearing a lot of key words in this thread.

1. Name each Device. The Nokia should have a setting to name the phone. The Socket Card's software has a naming area as well. Tap and hold the Bluetooth icon in the bottom tray and look for "Advanced Features" and then "My Bluetooth Device".

2. Now you have to bond the two. This is done through the "Discovery Process" This is pretty much run on the PDA by the Socket "Get Connected!" software (Tap and hold the Bluetooth icon in the tray again.). On the Ericsson phone there is a "Discoverable" mode under the Bluetooth settings. Before getting too deep into the PDA side, make sure you either activate the "Discoverable" mode on the Nokia or turn the Bluetooth function on.

3. Follow the wizard on the PDA.....The phone will likley ask you a quaestion or two, and you're off.

The only part of this process that has ever thown me is the setting of a shared key which is simply a loose security code between the two devices. If I am not mistaken, this was simply a number code entered on the PDA, and possibly the same number entered on the phone at the appropriate time.

As long as you are on a Bluetooth compatible network, you should be good to go....

Which Network are you connecting too? I started another thread a couple of dyas ago about the Access number for the T-Mobile ISP and have that is you need it. If you're not on T-Mobile, try posting the question (here I am giving a suggestion to the master) an I'm sure people will be able to help.

Good Luck!!!! You have a great forum of people here that will surely be able to help...... :D

Monty Gibson
01-08-2003, 09:21 PM

Grrrrrrr!!!! :twisted:

:lol: Sorry. The truth; as well as being off topic, (as this is becoming) hurts. I won't post about this further (to not angry the moderators :wink:) and whimper back to my home (The "Pocket PC Phone Edition" forum).

ipaqabilities
01-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Jason,

I have this link on my site from wirelesssoftware.info about setting up a Nokia 6310i with Socket BT card - even though its not exactly what you'er looking for, this should be of some help to you...

http://wirelesssoftware.info/Nokia6310iPaqSocketBT/

jmulder
01-08-2003, 09:45 PM

Can you elaborate? I could say that spinach is horrible, but without letting you know why I believe that, it doesn't hold much weight.

Obviously, Bluetooth works for many people...some better than others. What is it about your Bluetooth experiences that you should feel so strongly?

Thanks,

Jim

paris
01-08-2003, 09:45 PM

well you can speak for you self, BT is good and it is getting even better. It took me less than 2 minutes to connect my H5450 with my T68i. And did it pay off? :) as far as i know yeas since i was able to browse the site on the 1 Jan with my PPC and i even won i price :). BT is one of the nicest things even hapened to my mobile and ppc. If i receive an sms i dont bother using the mobile to reply, i just turn on my ppc and all i need to do is start simple sms and handwrite my sms or type it. And yes i leave BT on for both devices, it only consumes 10% of my iPaq power and about 20-25% of my T68i.

;)

yada88
01-08-2003, 09:47 PM
I have a t39 hooked up to a 3975. It was a b*tch to setup, but now it works quite well. I can now configure both devices from scratch in under a minute. However, the initial setup took literally 5 days. I was lucky because by the end, I got the direct # of the top support group, and it finally worked after what seemed like a lifetime. Don't think the local carier won't be of help. Just when you call up, tell them you called before, and that you were being connected to the highest tech support people (for Tmobile it's actually in london, seperate from the rest of tmobile), and that you got disconnected while you were being transfered. That should make it go much quicker. The regular data people won't be of much help.

gregh
01-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi Jason,

I have some bluetooth/PDA guides on my website, it was a doddle between my ipaq and t68.

The guides are here:

http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/html/bluetooth.htm

I currently have the following guides posted:

Nokia 6310 and IPAQ 3870 configuration guide
Nokia 6310 and IPAQ 3870 Bluetooth Jacket configuration guide
Ericsson T39/R520 Bluetooth connection guide
Ericsson T68 Bluetooth connection guide

cheers,

Greg

dhoward
01-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Jason,
I am so glad to hear that you are taking an interest in Bluetooth. I will be very interested to see how you rate the final product.

In my research over the past days, I have learned a great deal that needs to be considered past the initial decision to try Bluetooth, especially from Pocket Presence.com

They have a very nice program, Running Voice GSM, that will allow for the use of three pieces of equipment--GPRS Phone, Wireless Headset and your PPC. Call this the great "triangle".

Works great with Ericsson T68i, Jabra Wireless Headset and PPC.

Does NOT work flawlessly with the Nokia 6310i. In tech phone calls and reading, I discovered that Nokia went their own way in Bluetooth development. Nokia 6310i wants to see only one other device--pick the one you would like to use easily.

The Headset and PPC can be used together with the Nokia 6310i, but in the "passive" mode. See Pocket Presence website for explantion, under Requirements.

http://www.pocketpresence.com/rvgsm200require.asp

This problem with the 6310i is not the fault of PocketPresence but the architecture and design of Nokia. They do not recognize the triangle.

So in order to have the best of all worlds--the phone, the headset and the PPC, you need to head toward the Ericsson T68i. But then you face the problem of the poor RF package (i.e. Tx and Rcv) theT68i uses, and the cheap plastic design of the phone itself.

The Nokia 6310i phone is head and shoulders above the competition, but you don't get the full triangle.

So what's a guy to do?

Then there is the great debate about the carriers--ATTWS, Cingular and T-Mobile.

And you thought this was going to be easy...

Configuring the PPC to the phone is a piece of cake.

PS. The latest firmware for the Nokia 6310i is v. 5.10.
Key in *#0000# for firmware version on the 6310i.

The latest firmware for the T68i is v. R6A.
Using the Joy stick and keypad, use > * &lt; &lt; * &lt; *, then go to Service Info.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted with your details.
david
dallas

LarDude
01-08-2003, 10:40 PM
bdegroodt-

Could you please post links for both GPRS and circuit switched connections? I am currently using a circuit switched connection and it's giving me problems. I can connect, but usually get disconnected within 5 minutes. I have been considering using GPRS instead. I'd like to read up on both types some more and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!
Chung Tang

Yes, this is the same problem I am having, except that I am usually getting disconnected within 2 minutes.

I'd really also appreciate some links for circuit switched connections.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Funny... I was having the same troubles with the 6310 I tried...

Maybe it's a bluetooth issue?

Sacre_Bleu
01-08-2003, 11:04 PM
I have a guide on how to make it work lying around somewhere (.pdf)...
It's actually on how to connect a 6300i with an iPAQ but i guess that the idea is almost the same ...
Let me know if you want it ;)

Haven't tried it myself (cant afford a new phone) but i think that bluetooth is a great idea !

/Sacre_Bleu

Jason Dunn
01-09-2003, 12:26 AM
http://wirelesssoftware.info/Nokia6310iPaqSocketBT/

...can't...see...though...all...the....watermarks
...too...hard...must...quit.

:lol: :lol:

Jason Dunn
01-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Operation Canadian Bluetooth was a success. More details forthcoming on the front page. :beer:

that_kid
01-09-2003, 02:10 AM
:D glad to hear you have everything working Jason. I use BT with my 3970, laptop and desktop. I'm really thinking of getting a T68i but i'm still waiting for sprint to come out with a BT phone :sleeping:

dhoward
01-09-2003, 03:30 AM
For those of you who would like to have reference guids, here are a couple:

HP Wireless Solutions for Nokia 6310i and iPAQ 3870/3970 Bluetooth

http://sywan.nl/forums/uploaded/bob/200210812183_6310_3X70_Configuration_Guide.pdf

HP Wireless Solutions for Ercisson T68i and iPAQ 3870/3970 Bluetooth

http://www.pocketpcfreak.com/archive/T68_3X70_Configuration_guide12.pdf

Hope these help some of you.
david

dhoward
01-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Hey Jason, can we mirror this over to the Wireless area of your site, along with you review?

Warwick
01-09-2003, 04:50 AM
Bluetooth rocks!!

I dont have a bluetooth cell phone yet but I use my 3870 all around my house, my kids even steal it off me to use MSN while hiding in their room.
I was even able to stream live video from my network on it but changed some settings and cant do it again :(

There are lots of articles on connecting to your cell phone around but I want
1) some more articles on interesting desktop stuff, like how to stream music to your device.
2) When will Bluetooth headphones be available so I can get rid of the cables to my ears
3) any other fun stuff to use bluetooth for too

You have to remember Bluetooth is not a wireless network but its just as fun :)

merlin
01-09-2003, 07:13 AM
I've been using my T68i with my iPAQ 3870 and 5450 and it's awesome!!
Never had a problem connecting. I also use it with the Motorola BT headset. ActiveStink over Bluetooth is another story. :roll:

Anyway here is the link that helped me out. There are a few PDF's for download here:
http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?area=story&story=02/08/21/9898046

hollis_f
01-09-2003, 07:25 AM
First experience of Bluetooth was with a 6210 - and it was dire, almost enough to put me off forever. Then I switched to Ericsson - and I've never looked back. It works flawlessly with my 3970.

Now I have a BT GPS as well. When we finally get rid of WinNT at work I hope to eliminate all wires that aren't used for charging.

dhoward
01-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Hollis,

Re: your BT GPS, can you run all products at the same time? Any IRQ Conflict?

Bluetooth T68i
Bluetooth Earpiece
Bluetooth PPC
Bluetooth GPS

Txs.

Andrew
01-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Just to add my input here :) I have a nokia 6310i that Ive been using with an ipaq 3870 and a gprs connection for almost a year now and it works pretty well.

Concerning the bluetooth connectivity, the hardest part is bonding the devices, but there is a little trick to it that works every time.
When you try to bond the devices for the first time, the phone will ask you for the security code, at this point, and this is the hardest part as you have to do it quite quickly, you need to enter '1' on the ipaq and '1' on the nokia, and then press accept on both devices.

If it works, you'll hear the ipaq play the synchronisation disconnected noise, and the nokia phone will give you an error, telling you that the bonding failed! 8O But if you check the phone and the ipaq, you'll see that they have actually successfully bonded.

As I said the real trick is to enter the '1's on both devices and accept it as quickly as possible, I think you have something like 10 seconds in whch to do it, otherwise it fails and you have to start over. Im on my fourth ipaq now, as the previous 3 I have had to send back due to problems, so 4 different times I have bonded my phone and ipaq using the above method and its worked every time.

Youll also need to check with the carrier for the name of the AP for GPRS, and on the ipaq in connection settings, set up a bluetooth dialup modem, and on the last page, the string you need to enter should look something like;

+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

The IP and internet may change according to the name the AP has for your particular carrier. Also the number to access GPRS here takes the form of;

*99***1#

So you may need to check that with the carrier too, otherwise using this method along with the spb gprs program to quickly connect and disconnect Ive had no problems whatsoever, bluetooth or otherwise (of course thats if you dont count the charges ;) ).

Hope you find this useful

Andrew

PiatekHS
01-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I have a Ipaq 3870, Nokia 6310i and Socket BT. It alls works wonderfully (and moreover reliably). Configuration was straightforward once I got the passkey scenario sorted - so I suggest you verify that first.

Regards

henry

heliod
01-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Jason,

I have already connected in the past both Ericsson R520m and T68i, and also Nokia 6210 with the Bluetooth Pack which should be very similar to the 6310i, with the Pocket PC with a Socket Card.

You shouldn't have low expectations at all. This combo can rock and I really enjoy the technology.

If you need any help, you know how to reach me privately.

Helio

hollis_f
01-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Hollis,

Re: your BT GPS, can you run all products at the same time? Any IRQ Conflict?

Bluetooth T68i
Bluetooth Earpiece
Bluetooth PPC
Bluetooth GPS

Txs.
No, I don't think they'll work together. But I've never found it a problem - the PPC needs to connect to the phone to access the Net, send SMS, exchange contact details or dial a number. The phone needs to connect to the headset to make a call (and the PPC dialling software drops the PPC-phone connection after dialling, allowing the phone to connect to the headset).

The GPS is used for navigation in the car. While I'm driving I don't need to connect the PPC to the phone (a bit dangerous - surfing the Web while driving).

But I'll see what happens if I try to use the GPS and the phone this evening.

hollis_f
01-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Hmm, I was wrong.

Sat in the car last night with the BT gps working out the route to get me home, then ran mphone, dialled my home number and got the call through my BT headset (with the phone in my briefcase on the back seat throughout). While the call was in progress I switched back to the GPS and it was still working.