View Full Version : Isn't that special.....

AirTimid
01-08-2003, 12:14 AM
Well, I happened to be one of those folks with a faulty D-pad. So I call Dell Dec27 and they tell me i'll get an exchange. Cool. 5days later, nothing. So I call back on Jan2. They have no record of an exchange being made, so they offer me another exchange. Cool. 5days later, nothing. I call back today and am informed that both exlchanges were cancelled. No one knows why, not even the supervisor who approved the exchanges. This customer service rep is extremely polite and is sympathetic to my ordeal. So, she tells me she will set up another exchange and plans on keeping my order on her desk until my new Axim arrives. I believe in her zeal, she accidentally hangs up on me since I get disconnected (I'm not mad at her). So, I call back and wait another 10 mins before getting through to a representative. I then have to explain my situation for a third time. I am offererd another exchange (surprise). Moral of my story... After an hour on the phone i'm confident my order will once again be cancelled without my knowledge. Woohoo!!! At least everyone I spoke with was very nice :)

ECOslin
01-08-2003, 01:21 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3352&highlight=call+center+centre

Wrote about it, from the other end of the phone!

Rirath
01-08-2003, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the link, that was quite entertaining. I love knowing how this stuff goes on the other end of things. Usually it's so freaking skewed it's not funny. -_- I mean, you already know the system is bogus, but it's fun knowing just how badly.

As for the replacement problem... that's why I decided to just live with my mushy up button and be happy I got one at all.

sathlin
01-08-2003, 03:37 AM
well i'm really not sure what to think of the d pad.
i tested it with excel and it went in all directions ok.. but it just does not feel good.. very mushy.

how can you tell if your d pad is really bad?
and i've read a bunch of threads, but still didn't see a definitive answer, can you actually press the center of it to act as enter. etc.. ? 5thway?

thanks
sathlin

Kati Compton
01-08-2003, 04:43 AM
i tested it with excel and it went in all directions ok.. but it just does not feel good.. very mushy.

and i've read a bunch of threads, but still didn't see a definitive answer, can you actually press the center of it to act as enter. etc.. ? 5thway?

If it went in all directions the same way (ie, same amount of pressure required in each direction for the button press to register), then that's probably as good as you're going to get. All of them are mushy to some degree.

The "action"/enter button is pressing in on the scrollstick, not the d-pad. The D-pad seems to be only 4-way in actuality, despite feeling like it's 5-way.

theonegod
01-08-2003, 04:50 AM
The problem in all support is that to often the customer knows far more about the product then the support rep. Remember the customer is the one who owns the device and has actually used one. In most cases the rep probably hasnt even even seen the item they are providing support on. The other problem is that call center pay is seldom high enough to attract quality reps and so you get people who have no idea what they are doing.

Rirath
01-08-2003, 05:14 AM
The 5th way (click) does indeed work, but it seems to only turn on the backlight.
(Yes, that's been answered before. I for one asked it :wink: ).

As for how you can tell how bad it is, that varies person to person. If you push a direction and you hear it click, it's not mushy. If you push it in and it doesn't click, it's mushy. Not rocket science.

ECOslin
01-08-2003, 05:54 AM
The problem in all support is that to often the customer knows far more about the product then the support rep. Remember the customer is the one who owns the device and has actually used one. In most cases the rep probably hasnt even even seen the item they are providing support on. The other problem is that call center pay is seldom high enough to attract quality reps and so you get people who have no idea what they are doing.

True, never seen one, all I know is if you remove some of the plastic down at the bottom, unsnap it, and slide the side back and fold it up then jiggle it a little, then it's fixed, call back with any more problems.

My Maestro's D-pad seems fine, I've been playing a game that requires firing missiles by pressing down on it, I tend to move the D-pad while trying to press down on it and skewing the shot. I would not describe the button as mushy though, there is a slight feeling as though I'm pressing the button down against felt and it works fine.

Computer Ninja
01-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the link, that was quite entertaining. I love knowing how this stuff goes on the other end of things. Usually it's so freaking skewed it's not funny. -_- I mean, you already know the system is bogus, but it's fun knowing just how badly.

As for the replacement problem... that's why I decided to just live with my mushy up button and be happy I got one at all.

What would be the harm in just making the call and hoping you'll get a replacement? Won't cost you anything.

sathlin
01-08-2003, 03:07 PM
ok thanks for the help.. didn't bring it with me to work, so i'll check it later on when i'm home..

thanks,
sathlin

If it went in all directions the same way (ie, same amount of pressure required in each direction for the button press to register), then that's probably as good as you're going to get. All of them are mushy to some degree.

The "action"/enter button is pressing in on the scrollstick, not the d-pad. The D-pad seems to be only 4-way in actuality, despite feeling like it's 5-way.

ux4484
01-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm noticing a kind of "bounce" with my D-pad. when you release the pad after scrolling down it bounces back causing a scroll back up to where you were :? extremely annoying......I may be calling Dell.

AirTimid
01-08-2003, 04:47 PM
at least the nice lady who hung up on me called my work number and left a message. She is still determined to see I get my replacement. God love her :D

Rirath
01-08-2003, 08:39 PM
CN, this is why: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6695

After all that trouble I just didn't want to risk giving these guys my Axim, or risk being charged for a new one because they screwed something up along the way. When I first brought my Axim I had a lot of trouble too, they put a false $300 some dollar change on my debit card, then cancelled my real order. 2-3 days later I got them to remove the charge, but by then my Axim order was delayed a good week. If I did it now, I'd just get a refurbished unit. I'm happy with the unit I've got, it works, it's here, no hassle.