View Full Version : Cleveland Library To Launch eBook System

Janak Parekh
01-07-2003, 10:37 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979337.html?type=pt&part=msnbc&tag=alert&form=feed&subj=cnetnews' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1023-97933...d&subj=cnetnews</a><br /><br /></div>Now here's a compelling idea for ebooks... the only question is why you need a library for them. ;)<br /><br />"The Cleveland Public Library is launching an eBook system that will let people download publications onto their PCs and personal digital assistants.<br /><br />The new eBook collection, which will go online in March, is believed to be the first of its kind in a public library and will operate much the same as a traditional library system. Patrons wishing to download the eBooks will need to have a Cleveland Public Library card. What's more, only a limited number of each eBook will be available, and after a preset number of days, the eBook will lock out the current reader so another patron can check it out."<br /><br />As the loans are presumably free, this could be very useful. Better variety is needed, but it's a start. Hopefully you'll be able to download the ebooks from their website, and it'll support sane formats.

Ainvar
01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
I wonder what format they will use on this. Cause I can see a big stink happen over this, from abuse to somebody figuring out how to crack and and beat the system. I wonder also what books will be offered and if the publishing companies actually like the idea.

I for one like the idea and think information should be available for all. But I also understand that the person has to make there money and also has to have some type of structure to it.

Kati Compton
01-07-2003, 10:57 PM
I wonder what format they will use on this. Cause I can see a big stink happen over this, from abuse to somebody figuring out how to crack and and beat the system. I wonder also what books will be offered and if the publishing companies actually like the idea.

I for one like the idea and think information should be available for all. But I also understand that the person has to make there money and also has to have some type of structure to it.

You can borrow CDs from libraries, and they're incredibly easy to copy... But yes, there will probably be backlash about pirated eBooks and DVDs from libraries. :(

bcre8v2
01-07-2003, 11:17 PM
"...and after a preset number of days, the eBook will lock out the current reader so another patron can check it out."

If I already checked out an eBook (i.e. a "copy"), why would that prevent someone else from checking out another "copy"?

Sounds like my local tax dollars funding another folly.

Kati Compton
01-07-2003, 11:21 PM
"...and after a preset number of days, the eBook will lock out the current reader so another patron can check it out."

If I already checked out an eBook (i.e. a "copy"), why would that prevent someone else from checking out another "copy"?

I would assume that they'd work something out like a regular multiple-user licensing setup, or something similar. The publishing company would probably have to have a license server limiting the library to the given number of copies. That is, unless they trusted the library to do the managing themselves by not checking out more copies than they were allotted.

GregWard
01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
In principle it sounds like an interesting idea. I presume the idea is to limit the number of "copies" just like no Public Library would buy thousands of copies of one book. If this means Publishers take a more "lenient" view on pricing (like free :D) it could create a genuine Public Library capability on the web. Cool 8).

But - of course - it will never work. There'll be a hack available within five seconds!!!

Steven Cedrone
01-08-2003, 12:13 AM
This reminds me of the Fictionwise Lending Library (http://www.libwise.com/fll/)...

I wonder if they are using the same (http://www.libwise.com/home.htm) people to set it up???

Steve

disconnected
01-08-2003, 01:11 AM
Also at www.knowbetter.com