View Full Version : Lack of interest or ability in NX70 CF driver contest?

Ed Hansberry
01-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Many of you know the new Sony NX70 has a Sony WiFi slot in the back of it for their WiFi card. Turns out this slot is a standard CF slot and you just need drivers to make it work.

ClieSource held a competition with over $1,800 in cash to the winner to write a driver allowing memory cards and other CF accessories to work with it. Either out of total interest or inability, no one rose to the challenge. What was Sony thinking when they did this. How bad for their users. :evil:

Thread here (http://www.cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=81568a014e173761d329aaafdbfdb8e7&threadid=20891&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Delta737
01-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Sure, that wasn't a smart move from sony.

But what is this doing on a PPC website. If it should be on this forum, why not place it in "off-topic"?

Ed Hansberry
01-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Sure, that wasn't a smart move from sony.

But what is this doing on a PPC website. If it should be on this forum, why not place it in "off-topic"?
Because I was "just chattin'" and know some PPC users with CF cards that also have the NX70 that were waiting for this contest to conclude with a driver that allowed some/all of their CF accessories to work with the Sony.

tj21
01-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I don't think it was lack of interest as much as it was lack of time. Cliesource's contest was just over 30 days long and with the holidays I don't think many people had the time to really participate in it. Sony's complete lack of CF documentation is definitely slowing the process but a lot of work has been completed. My guess is that you will see a driver in 2-3 months. Also $1800 in prize money isn't much motivation for a driver that would likely be released commercially any way.

It will be interesting to see what effect the announcement of larger memory sticks of this week has on the driver creation.

TJ

Rirath
01-07-2003, 10:47 PM
I agree this goes for Off-topic. We're picked on all the time about this, fun to turn the tables. :lol:

The Big Jay
01-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Many of you know the new Sony NX70 has a Sony WiFi slot in the back of it for their WiFi card. Turns out this slot is a standard CF slot and you just need drivers to make it work.

ClieSource held a competition with over $1,800 in cash to the winner to write a driver allowing memory cards and other CF accessories to work with it. Either out of total interest or inability, no one rose to the challenge. What was Sony thinking when they did this. How bad for their users. :evil:

Thread here (http://www.cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=81568a014e173761d329aaafdbfdb8e7&threadid=20891&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

It's probably pretty tough to code a driver in 30 days without any documentation and just trying stuff with the drivers they had, in your spare time.

I'm not sure what the documentation Sony told Cliesource to move off their site was about.

rave
01-08-2003, 02:11 AM
Well if someone did manage to produce a driver, I'm imagining Sony to be jumping on that person at first chance and blocking access to the driver files.