View Full Version : help stop me from ditching my ipaq and buying a blackberry

Ginso
01-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Please stop me from buying a blackberry. I love my ipaq - i have used it for nearly 2 years with an Aircard wireless connection. It has been fantastic. I love the IPAQ, and have made fun of my friends with blackberrys with its limited functionality.

But - I'm at the end of my rope. I simply can't wait any longer for the pocketpc to develop some type of Push technology for email.

I work in an industry where I need to know about emails as soon as I get them. I can't wait to remember to check it. All the things i've done to have the ipaq check things itself don't work - setting the program to check it itself; using Infosync to check email - they never work right.

I thought the next generation systems would have this ability - but it doesn't look like they do.

Does anyone have a system that gets email instantly? Otherwise, i fear i'll have to switch...

dannyoneill
01-07-2003, 03:29 PM
From what I know its slightly different technology.

With the BB its kinda like SMS, you send an email, it gets delivered. The server is set to send.

With yoru iPAQ its POP, you have to say "hey, gimme the email" and it then sends it.

For the ipaq to do this it would have to be online all the time, expensive for GSM but not for GPRS (all over the UK but not in the US i dont think).

Were looking at using BB's in our company in the UK but its expensive, we need a whole new server infrastructure to handle it. At the moment your email server cant handle this withough this expensive in between gear. and then it can only goto BB's, dont think anyones developed an APP for the iPAQ, in theory its possible, you just need the app and a server to do the talking.

But in reality dont know of one that exists.

tony_cspc
01-07-2003, 04:08 PM
In my company we are using Blackberry's very heavily...with the new 6710 series out, our executive global travellers can roam and get their email in a lot of places with no hassles. (NOTE - no hassles on the bb means, turn it on and your mail shows up)

The department I work in gets to play with a lot of toys, which makes it a great job. I have all kinds of PDAs at my disposal but the one I never leave my house with is the Blackberry.. PIN to PIN chatting with other BB owners, Secured Corporate Email, Personal POP3 email, WAP browsing, TMobile Phone...all in one. I admit their PIM functionality is poor... but if you need to stay in touch, this is how to do it)

I laugh when I see the hoops our Tmobile PPC phone users have to jump through to get their mail... Dial up, turn on GPRS, log into VPN client, use a 3rd party app (XTND Connect) to synchronize their mail, etc...)

For an executive who wants to read his mail...BB is the way to go. (now, if I could only get my MP3's on it!)

Ginso
01-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Tony - your email is exactly right. it takes forever to get the email, and I never feel confident that I'll know about and email when i need to know about it.

Its the great flaw of the current pocket pc technology. what good is it to be connected, if you don't know someone is trying to get you?