View Full Version : Is it possible to get the unit serial number...

air-turk
01-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi,

First of all, stop reading right now, and write down the serial number of your pda and any accesorries and store it in some safe place. And be very careful in Las Vegas.

Some f#$$%% :evil: thief broke into my car and took my bag with my 3845 in it. If I can find the serial number, then there is a possibility it may show up as stolen property if they ever try to sell it.

Big question is: Unfortunately I didn't write down the serial number. Does anybody know if there is a way to get it by going thru the activesync files? Any help would be appreciated.

air-turk

Pony99CA
01-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Big question is: Unfortunately I didn't write down the serial number. Does anybody know if there is a way to get it by going thru the activesync files? Any help would be appreciated.

The serial number of my iPAQ 3870 is shown in the Asset Viewer applet. Expand the Identity node, and it's shown as Asset Tag # and as Serial #.

Unfortunately, I just searched the registry, and it doesn't seem to be there, so it may be in ROM. If that's the case, I don't think ActiveSync will ever back it up.

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Don't you have the original packaging? It should be on the side of the box.

--janak

The Half-Ling
01-07-2003, 06:34 AM
Awww crap!

that blows man, I didn't know there was a 3845!

Jake

Janak Parekh
01-07-2003, 06:36 AM
that blows man, I didn't know there was a 3845!
The 3845 was just a special consumer bundle version of the 3835/3850.

--janak

air-turk
01-07-2003, 07:06 AM
I bought the bundle at Costco. It had 3845 (=3835) + compact flash sleeve + case with belt clip. For $399. It was only 3 weeks old...

Unfortunately I threw all the packaging. and I went thru the manuals I kept. nope.

They took it from ussss.... It hurrrtttsssssss. Preciousssssss....

Janak Parekh
01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately I threw all the packaging. and I went thru the manuals I kept. nope.
How about the purchase receipt? Maybe it would have it? I know I'm stretching here ;)

--janak

The Half-Ling
01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
sssssssstuuupiiiidddd tttthhheeevviinngggg hoobbbitts
thheyyyyy tttooookkk itt frrroommm uuussss aaanndd mee wwannnttss iiitt backkk...

Gollumn 'smeagal' ;)

DarkHelmet
01-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Did you pay cash for it? Did you use a credit card? Specifically, did you use an AMEX card? If you did - call AMEX customer service - you may be able to get AMEX to buy you a new one...

Eitel
01-10-2003, 09:26 PM
My CompUSA TAP for my 5455 came with a couple of this (http://www.stuffbak.com/). Maybe something to look at. But again, it won't help that much if it is stolen.

DarkHelmet
01-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Many Credit Card companies have Buyer Protection Plans that protect people from loss, theft, and damage - just for buying stuff with their cards...

Maybe our friend will be able to use that to end his suffering!

Pony99CA
01-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Many Credit Card companies have Buyer Protection Plans that protect people from loss, theft, and damage - just for buying stuff with their cards...

Maybe our friend will be able to use that to end his suffering!
I thought almost all gold cards had that, but I found out that wasn't true when I had some pants disappear that I bought with one of my gold cards in Australia. Maybe I should have used a platinum card. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-11-2003, 09:29 AM
One more suggestion: call up the retailer/supplier who you bought it from. They might have the purchase on file. It's a stretch, but can't hurt, right?

--janak

newst
01-11-2003, 04:20 PM
More questions. Did you register your machine with HP for their warranty? If so, they should have the S/N on file.

SN