View Full Version : Toshiba e740 and GPRS/GSM

Anjuan Simmons
01-07-2003, 12:09 AM
I am looking into my options of getting a GPRS/GSM CF card for my e740. This is due to my frustration with being able to truly use the built-in 802.11b capability of the e740. I can't see it being a true "Internet Anywhere" solution or even "Internet Most Places" solution until more WiFi access points are deployed at least in major cities. So, my questions are:

1. Who makes the best GPRS/GSM CF cards?
2. What carriers provide the best value for the cost of the plan? I've heard that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile provide coverage.
3. Will getting a GPRS/GSM card truly allow me to get "Internet Anywhere" access? Getting access where ever my cell phone can make calls fits my definition.
4. Are there any other options for getting "Internet Anywhere" access? I basically want to be able to walk around any major city in the United States and wirelessly get onto the Internet.

JonnoB
01-07-2003, 12:13 AM
You can try the Yiso CF card and Sprint. A good way to access anywhere, consider a BT enabled phone and a BT CF card.

sgyee
01-07-2003, 02:42 AM
I am looking into my options of getting a GPRS/GSM CF card for my e740. This is due to my frustration with being able to truly use the built-in 802.11b capability of the e740. I can't see it being a true "Internet Anywhere" solution or even "Internet Most Places" solution until more WiFi access points are deployed at least in major cities. So, my questions are:

1. Who makes the best GPRS/GSM CF cards?
2. What carriers provide the best value for the cost of the plan? I've heard that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile provide coverage.
3. Will getting a GPRS/GSM card truly allow me to get "Internet Anywhere" access? Getting access where ever my cell phone can make calls fits my definition.
4. Are there any other options for getting "Internet Anywhere" access? I basically want to be able to walk around any major city in the United States and wirelessly get onto the Internet.

To answer:

1) The only GSM/GPRS card is an Audiovox RTM-8000.
2) Frankly, every provider stinks when it comes to their plan costs. On my GPRS plan, I only get 8MB for $19.99 (AT&T Wireless). They have a larger plan for $99. Others have similar plans.
3) In a sense, yes. You will get "Internet Anywhere" access providing you have GPRS coverage (for faster speeds) or GSM via CSD (for slower speeds, like 9600 baud). If you want Circuit Switched Data (CSD) access via GSM (meaning, slower than GPRS speeds), AT&T Wireless does not provide that. Only T-Mobile does at this time.
4) Your choices for "Internet Anywhere" are:
- GSM/GPRS with either a PDA that has it built in or using the Audiovox RTM-8000
- For CDMA, the Yiso CF Card (as JonnoB mentioned)
- For CDPD (19.2k), there is the Enfora PocketSpider

Hope this helps!

TopDog
01-11-2003, 04:31 PM
I use the Audiovox RTM-8000. Love it, but don't use the IA Style Dialer that comes with it... it sucks big time.

I just use the Audiovox for data connections (GPRS and DialUp), but still think it's worth it :-)