View Full Version : don't put your dell in your pocket!

mike6024
01-06-2003, 05:40 AM
I sent my Axim back after about 3 weeks for a loud screen squeal. Now after having my new one for less than a week, I have been getting the same squeal. I'm quite sure it's from storing it in my pocket and the pressure exerted by my leg. If I take the handheld and bend it slightly, the volume of the squeal changes. I just now ordered a hard case for it, so it doesn't get any worse. What is this world coming to when you can't put a pocket pc in your pocket?!?

Job
01-06-2003, 05:59 AM
How tight are your pockets?!?

Computer Ninja
01-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Do you have a Goodie comb in your back pocket, as well?

"Jordache jeans!"

Kati Compton
01-06-2003, 06:56 AM
I haven't stored mine in my pocket at all (girls' pockets usually aren't big enough for anything useful), but I have the noise that I've mentioned... But it sounds like your noise is much louder than mine.

mike6024
01-06-2003, 07:07 AM
My jeans aren't tight at all, but all jeans strech and tighten when you sit down. I think that's the main cause of it. I just hate belt clip cases, since they don't look right unless you tuck in your shirt and band t-shirts just look silly tucked in. Plus it's a *pocket* pc. I mean come on! :D

theonegod
01-06-2003, 07:29 AM
um, pocket PC is hardly meant to go in your pants pocket. That is not only a good way to tweak the case it is a good way to scratch and crack your screan.

Delta737
01-06-2003, 08:21 AM
I know I'm on the wrong forum here, but I have a Toshiba e310 and it fits easily in my pants pocket (which have just an average size). I have it in there all the time and have not encountered any problems.

And, BTW, Why else would they call it a POCKET Pc :D :wink:

Rirath
01-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I agree, jean pockets are a bad place for any size pocket pc... even the 1910's and V35s. You're likely to crack the screen from pressure or bumping into a desk. I once had a rock hit me in the pocket and dent my J525's hard flip cover. Had that not been there, it would have hit the screen. It's pretty much ok in jacket pockets or loose khaki pockets though, if protected.

mike6024
01-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Well in the 2 years and 3 pocket pcs that I've been playing with since I started, I haven't had a problem pocketing them til now. By the way, the trick to avoid denting the screen is to make it face your leg. A rock or desk would dent the back which is definitely not as big of a deal. And you avoid scratching the screen by keeping keys and change in your other pocket. Come on guys, I'm sure plenty of people keep their pocket pcs in their jeans pockets. At least Delta737 knows what I'm talking about. :)

cesmithsc
01-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I've used very cheap and very expensive cases for my pocket pc's and I always end up just sliding it in my pants pocket. I am doing the same with my Axim and have not noticed any problems.
I did just get a new Scott eVest and have had fun loading up the 20+ pockets with all sorts of things!

theonegod
01-06-2003, 06:19 PM
For those with limited imagination asking why then they call it a pocket pc... How about your shirt or jacket pocket?

Job
01-06-2003, 09:05 PM
I kept my last mobile device in my pocket, suffice it to say, it's no longer w/ me :oops: I am sure if you search the forums my story is around at least two or three times if you really want the sad details. Nonetheless, my Axim lives happily in my pocket, screen inward. I am just being a little more careful :) The only problem I have had with putting it in my pocket, wait, correction, only two problems. Occassionally the buttons will get pressed and it will turn on, not a major problem as long as the auto-off is set at a small number. The other problem is w/ the screen. Currently, I am using Dell screen protectors. Unfortunately, it seems as if the dirty rather easily. I am considering using the solution found at Pocket PC Passion where you make your own screen protector, or I will eventually have to buy a case. I really miss my old flip cover :(

dbman
01-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I am using an old leather slip cover from a PalmPilot. It has a plastic insert on one side to protect the screen. It fits my Axim perfectly and I have not had any problems carrying the Axim around in my jeans pockets. (YMMV)

Lately however, I have been carrying it in my inside coat pocket because it is easier to get at it. I am still waiting to see what type of cases are released for the Axim before I jump at one.

Sslixtis
01-07-2003, 10:51 PM
I ALWAYS carry my PPC in my pocket, usually shorts but Jeans when it is cooler. I don't really have a whole lot of choice I live in Phoenix, Arizona and a Jacket is definitely out! Screen in towards leg and I usually take it out when I'm going to sit down anyway, so I've never had a problem. :wink:

Cheers!

spursdude
01-08-2003, 12:05 AM
I carry my Maestro around in my jean pockets, with a slip cover with a hard front cover to protect the screen. I haven't had any problems whatsoever carrying it in my pocket for around 8 months now...

tnantz
01-09-2003, 06:16 AM
I carry my Axim in my pocket, I have for about a month without any problems. Of course, my jeans tend to me kinda loose (crazy kids, I know), and I make sure not to put anything else in there. Just my 2 cents. Yeah...

theonegod
01-09-2003, 08:40 AM
of course it will be perfectly safe and untouched, right up until it is damaged in some way. Kinda like how the thing you are looking for is always in the last place you look. Nothing is ever broken until you break it.

Rirath
01-09-2003, 08:46 AM
of course it will be perfectly safe and untouched, right up until it is damaged in some way.

Well said. :D

Job
01-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Heh, guess I should have added that I am 17 and my pants pockets are easily large enough to fit an Axim comfortably. That said, I avoid putting other things into that pocket simultanteously. Before you get any ideas, no, I do not where those gargantuan pants you often see on punk teenagers . . .

Rirath
01-09-2003, 10:26 PM
no, I do not where those gargantuan pants you often see on punk teenagers . . .

But think of the amazing storage capacity! Heh, I'd love to see that become the new trend for techies.

Job
01-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Wow, the thought of that is mind boggling. Can't resist a hearty chuckle.