View Full Version : Is this how you make a really ligh and thin PPC?

askisaac
01-05-2003, 11:51 PM
In my opinion the biggest problem with PPC is the form factor. Trouser pocket is OK, shirt pocket is a drag and belt clip just not cool enough.

What if we seperated the screen and the guts of the device. We could then have an ultralight, ultra-thin shell that has a screen, speaker, mic, and BT. On the second half of the device we could have the guts of the device, processor, SD, CF, BT and electronics (perhaps even Mobile Phone)

The two halves would be linked via bluetooth or WLAN and ideal for situations where I am carrying a briefcase or handbag etc. I can place the guts in my briefcase, still have a BT distance of about 10 to 20 meters (using iPAQ 3970) and should I need to go more than that then I can connect the two halves to each other and carry a slightly heabier or thicker device if I needed to have the two together for travelling purposes etc.

I guess a miniture tablet PC is the type of thing I am talking about

Any Comments??

Rirath
01-05-2003, 11:53 PM
shirt pocket is a drag and belt clip just not cool enough.

Does anything look good in a shirt pocket or belt clip? Personally, it all sounds like far too much hassle to do simple tasks and I can just imagine the price. The current small devices are practically paper... give it time. I hope the days of Axim sized devices aren't dead just yet, personally I don't want to carry around something that can blow away in the wind.

Sven Johannsen
01-06-2003, 12:32 AM
I guess a miniture tablet PC is the type of thing I am talking about

Actually you are describing a miniature MIRA, or smart display. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/smartdisplay/). Something where the processing power is removed from the User Interface.

Actually I don't think you have a bad idea there, though I think the pricing would be a bit rediculous, just as the smart displays are right now. While they fit in a different niche, the pricing makes them more expensive than low end laptops (with a wireless card and Terminal Service Client, you get a similar capability). Separating the PPC the way you describe would likely result in a $700-$1000 unit, trying to compete with the $300 Dell.

Janak Parekh
01-06-2003, 03:12 AM
While you could do what you're saying, you could also get an ultrathin PPC like the 1910, and it should serve your needs very well.

The problem with remote displays is the bandwidth required: you'd need a cable snaking between the two. 802.11 would be too power-intensive, and BT wouldn't be fast enough.

--janak

szamot
01-06-2003, 05:21 AM
Well perhaps my display is not that smart, but I have to tell you for $85 I bought the 3COM Audrey hacked it to the 9's and viola. It connects to W2K server share for 120 gigs of MP3's, connects to the internet, gets mail, typed, spoken or scribbled. Calendar, alarms, text editor, calculator, picture frame and call display with custom rings. Oh yes, it can run wireless as well. There is no device on the market for $85 that would do this and look so stylish. The best money I spent last year.

Janak Parekh
01-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Yes, but it doesn't fit in your pocket :)

--janak

szamot
01-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Yes, but it doesn't fit in your pocket :)

--janak

True indeed but neither does the smart display?! That's why we have PPC's