View Full Version : Play MP3's from PPC to car stereo using cassette style adapter?

67stang
01-05-2003, 06:59 AM
I was just wondering, can you use a car stereo adapter (cassette looking thing that connects a personal CD player to your cars cassette deck)... can you use this via the headphone jack on a PPC to play mp3s in your car?

looks like this, old school technology...
http://store2.yimg.com/I/aaaprice_1714_10805328

I found one in my junk drawer, and while i dont own a PPC just yet, i couldnt help but thinking this might just work!

ChrisHasenpflug
01-05-2003, 07:05 AM
Yes you can. Those adapters use the standard size Headphone jack, included on most (if not all) Pocket PCs.

bmhome1
01-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Not does it work, it works exceedingly well on my 3955 and with "withMP3" shareware MP3 player playing highbit MP3 files, easily out-performing my dedicated CD MP3 player's fidelity with the same cassette adaptor.

Pony99CA
01-05-2003, 08:30 AM
I was just wondering, can you use a car stereo adapter (cassette looking thing that connects a personal CD player to your cars cassette deck)... can you use this via the headphone jack on a PPC to play mp3s in your car?

Yes, you can. Not only do I do this with my iPAQ 3870, but when I have it in my GPS sleeve, I get music and voice navigation at the same time.

The only problem is trying to switch playlists while driving. :-)

Steve

Delta737
01-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Yeah, sure, that's possible. Unless you have the HP Ipaq 1910, then you need an adapter (from 2.5" to 3.5") first...

szamot
01-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Program you buttons, turn off the screen and you get miles of MP3 enjoyment in the car. When I am on the road and I have to rent, I always ask for a car without CD, I get the looks but, only I know how much fun I will have. With my new extended battery for X5 I have the screen on full blast, just because I can, with the iPAQ I always had it off.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 10:57 AM
I still use a dedicated MP3 player, the Nomad 2. I have a few Smartmedia cards for it that I share with my digital camera. Figure, why waste space on the Axim when the Nomad takes care of it fine. It's tiny, so it's like like it's an extra burden.

Ben909
01-05-2003, 02:00 PM
I use an iPaq 3870 with 1Gb MicroDrive in my Renault Megane (standard radio/cassette fitted). Whilst the iPaq does a great job of playing my MP3's (occasional buffering) I must say that the cassette adaptor is more trouble than it's worth (in my experience). I've had two of them and very soon they start to automatically and repeatedly try to play the 'other side' of the 'cassette'. In other words, the auto-reverse feature on the cassette player constantly turns the cassette over and over. Strangely this seems to happen most when the car is cold, which being in the UK is most of the time. When it works, its great, but i've generally found these cassette adaptors to be unreliable (and a little messy too). If you like your music loud, you will probably notice some hiss using these adaptors too.

I have the iPaq mounted on an Arkon air vent mount from expansys.com, and I have a cigarette lighter charger too.

I'm getting a new car this week with new stereo so I'm hoping that has a proper 'line in' socket so I can get rid of the cassette adaptor. If not, I have my eye on this http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=SF100. It actually broadcasts the audio output of your PocketPC as a radio signal that you can then tune in to on the FM band of your car stereo. That sounds a pretty neat way of doing it to me. No idea what the range is, but presumably passing motorists could also tune in to your music selection :lol:

Edit - when i say the cassette adaptor is 'more trouble than its worth', I may be completely wrong. The problem I have MAY be down to a sub-standard stereo from Renault in the first place.

67stang
01-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Sweeet! cant wait to get my e740!

Janak Parekh
01-05-2003, 07:16 PM
I still use a dedicated MP3 player, the Nomad 2. I have a few Smartmedia cards for it that I share with my digital camera. Figure, why waste space on the Axim when the Nomad takes care of it fine. It's tiny, so it's like like it's an extra burden.
When you're ready to invest in CF, though, give the Pocket PC a shot. The bigger screen makes it so much easier to handle playlists and stuff... on my last long trip, we were playing MP3 tunes for hours via by double-batteried 3870.

Ben909, I've never had the problem you described, interestingly.

--janak

Job
01-05-2003, 07:37 PM
That's exciting news to me. In my muddled reasoning, I was thinking that it wouldn't work because my car kit requires two jacks . . . one for the tape and one (not required now that I think about it, just saves the battery) for the cigarette lighter adapter. Come to think of it, will the cigarette lighter adapter plug into the bottom of my Axim? Hmm . . . well anyway, there is another alternative that I was looking into. RadioShack offers a product by the name of iRock, it is a device that plugs into your CD/MP3/Cassette player and broadcasts the audio on a certain frequency to your radio. You simply turn your tuner to that frequency to hear the audio. Interesting solution, eh? It costs $30, so I was not about to run out and buy it when I have a perfectly good CD burner. Just a thought . . .

Steven Cedrone
01-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Man, I'll tell ya'...

My wife "suprised" me by having my car stereo replaced with a new one for Christmas. Now I have a Kenwood KDC-217 with no tape deck and no AUX input. My Pocket PC can no loger play over my stereo. I really don't want to use one of those RF boxes that broadcast on an FM channel, but I think I'm screwed...

Oh well (It bothered her that I was constantly hooking up my Pocket PC and a CD player)...

Like a good husband, I smiled and said "It's EXACTLY what I wanted"....

Steve

Ben909
01-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Janek - Yeah, I wouldn't want to put people off using this method of connecting to a car stereo. Whilst my experiences have been problematical, the cassette adaptors are a cheap and easy way to get the job done. I know of other people who have no problem with them to connect minidiscs or portable cd players to their car stereo. I'm starting to think the problem probably lies with my cassette player, in which case 'who cares?'...The car's being changed in two days (can't wait).

Kati Compton
01-05-2003, 08:10 PM
FYI - I've used an FM broadcaster with a Discman in a rental car (why are the CD players always broken??). It worked great most of the time, but as we got closer and closer to a major city, there would start to be interference from all the local radio stations. I suggest if you can (and if the exist, but I assume they would) to find one that has a variety of frequencies that it can broadcast at. It wouldn't be very helpful if the one frequency a unit could broadcast on were the same frequency as the radio station next door...

Job
01-05-2003, 08:52 PM
the iRock broadcasts on four different frequencies . . .

blazingwolf
01-05-2003, 11:57 PM
I use the Sound Feeder RF adaptor. It works very well and has frequency ranges that you can use. They are: 88-92, 92-98 and 98-108. It then uses a dial to hit inbetween those ranges. They have two model. 1 uses your cigarette adapter the other uses a AA battery. I use this to hook up my 3955 an listen to mp3 on any trips.

Sven Johannsen
01-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Come to think of it, will the cigarette lighter adapter plug into the bottom of my Axim? Hmm . . . .

Needs to more than just plug in...need to make sure the voltage and polarity are right. I wouldn't worry about the current capacity much, most car adapters can put out a healthy amount. Check to make sure it is beter than what the Axim calls for though, to be safe.

smashcasi
01-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Like Steve, my car stereo doesn't have any aux inputs or a tape deck. Having a long trip to make recently, I picked up one of the wired FM modulators (looks like this (http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item342.htm)). So far it's worked out great, and since it cuts out the car's antennae when active you don't really have to worry about interference. All in all I'd rate it as a pretty good way to add an aux input without replacing your existing stereo.

Job
01-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Sven, can you elaborate on what you were saying about polarity and voltage? What exactly do I need to check? Has anyone tried this yet? I wouldn't want to light up my Axim like a Christmas tree . . .

Sven Johannsen
01-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Sven, can you elaborate on what you were saying about polarity and voltage? What exactly do I need to check? Has anyone tried this yet? I wouldn't want to light up my Axim like a Christmas tree . . .

Sure, the Axim charger delivers 5.4 volts, center positive. It is rated 2410ma (or 2.41 Amps) though I guarantee it doesn't draw that.

The car kit you got was probably for some CD player. I have an old Sony Discman sitting here, it is 9v, center negative. Even if the plug fit, I wouldn't recommend using a car kit designed for this Sony :)

Normally the polarity is indicated by something that looks like this
- --C-- + with a dot inside the "C" showing the pin in the center is positve and the sleeve on the outside is negative. You can see that on the charger.

You'd be pretty lucky if you happened to have a cigarette lighter adapter that put out 5v, center positive, and the plug fit.

67stang
01-06-2003, 07:31 AM
who would have thought my 1st post on this site would be such a hot topic ;) I thought i was asking an idiotic question. Anyway I am even more excited about my Toshiba e740 purchase now that i know it will play tunes in my '93 Cobra tape deck !!

Sven- regarding the cigarrete lighter power issue. I look at it at the same way as AC Adapters, those annoying black boxes that come with electrical devices such as monitors, cell phones, laptops, printers, etc.. The area behind my desk is full of a dozen of this things! While it would be nice to think they're all compatiable, they arent due to the current their respetive device draws, etc. I would imagine the 12V cigaratte power adapter is the same way.. even IF it fits the Axim connector, i doubt its providing the proper power.

Pony99CA
01-06-2003, 03:42 PM
on my last long trip, we were playing MP3 tunes for hours via by double-batteried 3870.

We don't need no stinking batteries. I just use the lighter adapter that came with my Pocket CoPilot GPS sleeve. Not only do I not use my battery, I'm charging it, too. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-06-2003, 04:41 PM
We don't need no stinking batteries. I just use the lighter adapter that came with my Pocket CoPilot GPS sleeve. Not only do I not use my battery, I'm charging it, too. :-)
Oh right, I completely forgot - I was using my car adapter too, once I figured out how to use the darn sync'n'charge cable (don't ask ;)). We were in a Ford Excursion, and that beast has three cigarette lighter slots or something like that. :)

--janak

Job
01-07-2003, 03:03 AM
If anyone is interested, I tried out the MP3-through-car-kit thing today, and everything worked wonderfully. Both the AC adapter and the headphone jack worked without problems. I used a 4.5v, center-pronged adapter with my Axim and it seemed to be charging while playing. The amber light was glowing, but the battery indicator read 100%. Well, whatever that means. The Axim has yet to explode or die on me, and the sound of my MP3s pounding out of my car speakers souded so beautiful, that I am sure I will be continuing to use this setup for a long time to come.

vincentsiaw
01-07-2003, 06:23 AM
on my dodge neon, the cassete adapter is so far the best solution to hook up a ppc, it's 13 dollar, available at wallmart, just hook uit up and play music all day long, also i installed a 300 watt dc to ac converter, it's only cost me $30 and i dcan use whatever ac equipment in my car as long it doesnt exceed 300 watt !!

try it man, it's fun!! oh ya and damn cheap as well !! yohoo!

two_wheels
01-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Yep... I posted a similar thread just last week:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6682

You may want to consider the cig lighter cradle that I mentioned in that thread!

ironguy
01-08-2003, 12:25 AM
I just bought a Pioneer 4400 which has an aux input for a CD changer or XM radio. Guess what? There's an adapter for it that converts the aux input from a proprietary connector to RCA jacks. I already have an RCA to mini plug adapter so I'm off to the races with my Jornada!

67stang
01-08-2003, 07:05 AM
I just bought a Pioneer 4400 which has an aux input for a CD changer or XM radio. Guess what? There's an adapter for it that converts the aux input from a proprietary connector to RCA jacks. I already have an RCA to mini plug adapter so I'm off to the races with my Jornada!

Interesting, i was just looking at a friends new Pioneer (maybe it was Alpine) but it had a audio input, and it was standard 3.5mm jack. In fact the manual even called it an "MP3 input".... and showed a cable with 3.5mm jack on both ends, connect from MP3 player, laptop, etc to the deck.

spursdude
01-08-2003, 07:06 AM

Interesting, i was just looking at a friends new Pioneer (maybe it was Alpine) but it had a audio input, and it was standard 3.5mm jack. In fact the manual even called it an "MP3 input".... and showed a cable with 3.5mm jack on both ends, connect from MP3 player, laptop, etc to the deck.

Yeah, that's a really convenient method. If your car's stereo system has that audio input jack, just pick up the cable, plug it in, and you're all set. I can't think of an easier method...

ironguy
01-08-2003, 08:23 AM
I looked at ones with the MP3 input or whatever they call it on the front panel. My unit said it was optional, thus the adapter. They even make a Y branch for it if you want to connect your CD changer and PDA at the same time. It's expensive though.

You'd think someone would make a portable MP3 player that just slips into a slot on your car stereo. I know Kenwood makes the big honkin' thing for your trunk, but imagine something the size of an iPod that would slip into your dash. Take your music anywhere.

Pony99CA
01-08-2003, 11:10 AM
You'd think someone would make a portable MP3 player that just slips into a slot on your car stereo. I know Kenwood makes the big honkin' thing for your trunk, but imagine something the size of an iPod that would slip into your dash. Take your music anywhere.
If your car has a cassette player, somebody already makes this. Check out the Digisette DUO-DX (http://www.digisette.com/en/products/DUOdx.asp).

Steve

Janak Parekh
01-08-2003, 05:08 PM
If your car has a cassette player, somebody already makes this. Check out the Digisette DUO-DX (http://www.digisette.com/en/products/DUOdx.asp).
Hmm, finally there's a cassette-sized MP3 player with a MMC slot. Why no SD though, beats me. :?

--janak

ironguy
01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
The max memory on the Digisette is 96MB. Not too much considering the Toshiba and the iPod have 10GB options.

Also, you are still converting from digital to analog and through a contact to contact point.

I can imagine a single unit that slides into a cradle connected to your PC, you download MP#s, video, convert CDs, etc, then pop it into your car stereo, pop it into a home stereo, clip it on your belt, whatever.

You could carry your entire music library (at least some of it) with you. With memory size getting smaller and smaller, you might be able to carry movies as well. Pop it into your car and watch a movie...uh, at least the passengers. Or slide it into a slider and watch them on your PDA!

Pony99CA
01-09-2003, 03:31 AM
The max memory on the Digisette is 96MB. Not too much considering the Toshiba and the iPod have 10GB options.

Actually, that's 96 MB internal memory, I think, and the capability to add a 64 MB card for a total of 160 MB. But, no, it's still not the 20 GB you can get with an iPod.

I can imagine a single unit that slides into a cradle connected to your PC, you download MP#s, video, convert CDs, etc, then pop it into your car stereo, pop it into a home stereo, clip it on your belt, whatever.

You could carry your entire music library (at least some of it) with you. With memory size getting smaller and smaller, you might be able to carry movies as well. Pop it into your car and watch a movie...uh, at least the passengers. Or slide it into a slider and watch them on your PDA!

Why bother with all of that? For MP3s, if you're going to require a computer anyway, just get an MP3-compatible CD player and burn MP3s on a CD.

If you don't want the hassle of burning or want more flexibility, why not just put a PC Card slot in a car stereo? Software in the stereo would detect the insertion and automatically search for media files and playlists, giving you the option to select one. You could get a PC Card hard disk to store up to 5 GB on, or, with adapters, use any of your existing CF and SD cards.

Should I head down to the patent office? :-)

Steve