View Full Version : Microsoft Readies CDMA WinCE Software

Janak Parekh
01-04-2003, 10:34 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=74&ncid=738&e=8&u=/cmp/20030104/tc_cmp/iwk20030103s0034' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...wk20030103s0034</a><br /><br /></div>Seems like the missing link to seeing CDMA Pocket PC Phones and Smartphones is finally dropping into place.<br /><br /><i>"Microsoft's push into mobile computing fills a gap this week when it releases its Smartphone and Pocket PC software for CDMA-compliant handheld devices."</i><br /><br />They also mention the Hitachi NC1 communicator, which I believe is the name for the unit I reported on <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5827">earlier</a> (still no specs on the unit, though). My guess is that these devices have been under development while Pocket PC Phone Edition/Smartphone CDMA was in beta, and if it ships now, we might see a flurry of devices in addition to the Hitachi finally appear, including the Samsung <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186">SCH-i600</a>, the <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=191">SPH-i700</a>, and the HTC <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=242">Falcon</a>. If so, it'll be great news for North American wireless users.

Bob Anderson
01-04-2003, 10:39 PM
This is great news!

Now... Verizon... take note. You've go users out here that want CDMA, quality, smartphones!

Perry Reed
01-04-2003, 10:47 PM
It's about time! I hope Sprint doesn't decide to charge the higher "data rates" for the Vision service with these.

MultiMatt
01-04-2003, 11:13 PM
This is wonderful news! It brings me one step closer to having a Pocket PC phone edition! :way to go:
Still waiting to see if Verizon plans on carrying the (recently FCC approved) "Falcon" device, and also curious to know when HP will release the "5600" series Pocket PC phone as well!

Being an iPAQ 3970 owner already, I'd really prefer to stay in the iPAQ arena, but I'd thoroughly enjoy the Falcon too!

Matt

fgarcia10
01-04-2003, 11:22 PM
It's about time! I hope Sprint doesn't decide to charge the higher "data rates" for the Vision service with these.

I have the Toshiba 2032 with the Vision service and data is unlimited NO EXTRA CHARGE. I called that cheap.

ECOslin
01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
When I hope to buy my next cell phone, after my next cellphone kill. I hope to find one with bluetooth that will take my Outlook contacts as it's quickdial contacts. I'd like to use the bluetooth to use my Maestro PDA to dial to the internet, and use a cordless bluetooth headset while driving.

I think I can imagine how it will work out though, one or another and maybe all will be battery dead each time I want to use them.

What about those charging mats, I wonder if I can find one for the dash of my truck, or in my glove compartment.

Cortex
01-04-2003, 11:55 PM
predictions....

1. not till summer 03
2. > $500 devices
3. sprint will charge the data rates -- ie no vision

Janak Parekh
01-05-2003, 12:09 AM
When I hope to buy my next cell phone, after my next cellphone kill. I hope to find one with bluetooth that will take my Outlook contacts as it's quickdial contacts. I'd like to use the bluetooth to use my Maestro PDA to dial to the internet, and use a cordless bluetooth headset while driving.
The Sony Ericsson T68i can already do all you mention, but it's GSM, not CDMA. In fact, I've set it up to sync with Outlook so I can ActiveSync from my PPC and then do another sync to the T68. On the CDMA front, we're hoping the Sony Ericsson T608 will provide the same functionality.

--janak

Fzara
01-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Theres no way im paying THAT much money for an expensive BT enabled cell just to dial my contacts with my PDA, lol. I expect tons of websites to begin to develope more mobile versions of their websites as BT emerges in 2003.

The handsfree wireless thing you put on your head is too expensive right now. At $100, its still expensive. Wait for BT to be of higher success, and we'll start to see headsfree sets, under $50.

I wonder when they'll put BT into cars. Imagine driving along some major highway, stuck in traffic at 5:30pm, and you're watching video previews, or listening to dl'ed music off of your PDA, complimentary of your car with built-in BT.

Janak Parekh
01-05-2003, 12:28 AM
The T68i is expensive (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006IZB0/glance/qid=1041722880/br=2-8/ref=br_ts_full_w//103-3116714-8811812?v=glance&s=wireless&n=301185), you say? In fact, in that link Amazon is giving so many rebates off that the price is negative $25. 8O (It's supposed to be "Free".)

Note that's with service activation, but still, the expensive argument doesn't cut it anymore. ;)

--janak

ECOslin
01-05-2003, 12:29 AM
Theres no way im paying THAT much money for an expensive BT enabled cell just to dial my contacts with my PDA, lol. I expect tons of websites to begin to develope more mobile versions of their websites as BT emerges in 2003.

No, not just to dial contacts, I want the general picture of 'Bluetooth'. My PDA talks to my Cell Phone, either can talk to my PC, my Printer, my headphones, etc.

I would like some form of communication between devices other than the cable in the bottom of the bag that I may have left at home.

MultiMatt
01-05-2003, 02:40 AM
predictions....

1. not till summer 03
2. > $500 devices
3. sprint will charge the data rates -- ie no vision

1. I hope it's sooner, but Summer sounds about right...

2. I am such a Pocket PC addict, I will pay >$500 for a device that will do what I want it to do!

3. The entire industry has no clue as to how they should handle/charge for data. We are all victims of their wishy-washiness! In the meanwhile, Europe speeds ahead....!

Matt

Daniel
01-05-2003, 05:32 AM
The SCH-i600 is a cool phone, I'd be into that! Of course there's still the Neonode. I'd also have to buy a BT SDIO card but what the hey, it'd be cool! :)

Isn't the Falcon similar to the Korean PPCPE that was reported here the other day? Maybe this is the "dumbed down" (1xRTT only) version for the US market?

Daniel

Janak Parekh
01-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Isn't the Falcon similar to the Korean PPCPE that was reported here the other day? Maybe this is the "dumbed down" (1xRTT only) version for the US market?
No. It's the CDMA/1xRTT equivalent of the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition. The i700, on the other hand, is indeed a dumbed-down version of the 1xEV-DO device being released in Korea by Samsung.

--janak

whyPocketPC
01-05-2003, 06:06 AM
It would be worth buying with embedded Bluetooth supporting HEADSET profile so that I could use my JABRA Freespeak headset. Of course a CDMA 1xRTT ready mobile will beat any GPRS mobile hands down, :twisted: so I cannot be too worried.

:idea: BTW - for those of you worried about worried about the rates that carriers are charging for data, you must keep in mind (having come from the largest global carrier) that a voice minute is king and data is second fiddle. Email and web browsing will ALWAYS take a back seat to voice traffic. "Why" do you ask?? 'Cause you get more revenue for your spectrum.... $$$ .... 8)

Happy New Year!!!!

kettle
01-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Just out of curiosity, why on earth are you predicting that Sprint will charge for data? Is there something you know that I don't, or are you just making an uneducated guess?
On another note I think Sprint's policy of charging a $10 flat rate for data is very enlightend. I surf web sights all day long on my Treo (sorry it'll be a PPC when Sprint finaly caries something acceptable) and have no worries about acruing extra charges.

Jason Lee
01-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, why on earth are you predicting that Sprint will charge for data? Is there something you know that I don't, or are you just making an uneducated guess?
On another note I think Sprint's policy of charging a $10 flat rate for data is very enlightend. I surf web sights all day long on my Treo (sorry it'll be a PPC when Sprint finaly caries something acceptable) and have no worries about acruing extra charges.

Sprint will charge for data by usage. Their "unlimited" vision plans will no longer be availible after January 31, 2003. However, if you waste $100 on a vision phone right now and get an unlimited plan they cannot take that away from you when you get your new PPCPE. (i bought the n-400 just to get the unlimited rate plan.)

Sprint is having major problems with the unlimited plans... There is a reason ALL the data cable for their cellphones dissapeared from websites and store shelves at the same time. Which stinks cause I want one. I even called Samsung and they said that they are no longer manufacturing the cables but there will be a new version with software available in a few months... exactly when the unlimited vision plans are gone. Corprate *@#%'s!

Oh well. Every one needs their buck i suppose. :)

Vincent M Ferrari
01-05-2003, 05:22 PM
I'll find it. I know it's in the fine print that if you tether your PCS phone to a PDA/Computer, you can't use the "unlimited" vision service. That's one of the reasons I went back to T-Mobile. Unlimited isn't as unlimited as they say it is... :roll:

Still looking, I will find it :-)

disconnected
01-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Well, it's true that the fine print says you cannot use the phone as a modem for a separate laptop or pda (although, they apparently aren't enforcing this too strictly yet), but they are offering the unlimited Vision on Treos and Theras and any other one-piece phone/data device available. In theory, this should apply to any new Smartphones or PPC Phone Edition devices coming along.

I hope it's true that they can't take unlimited Vision away once you have it, but I don't trust them.

Whenever I change my plan, it seems to take them several months to set it up correctly. I changed from a 'total digital connection plan' to an 'unlimited Vision plan' at the end of November. They said the change would be too complicated to do in the middle of a billing period, so would not take affect until the beginning of the next billing period. Well, I got my next bill, and the change had gone in, but they had changed me to just a 'free and clear' plan with no Vision, so I was charged by the MB for data. I went in to a local office, and the rep spent several minutes on the computer and said the change was made, but if I look at my plan on line, it still doesn't mention Vision. I hope I can get it straightened out before they say the unlimited Vision is no longer available.

kettle
01-05-2003, 11:16 PM
I wonder, if you already have Sprint's vision and you change your voice plan can they take away unlimited vision?

Vincent M Ferrari
01-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Absolutely. Whatever the parameters for the new plans are. They'll never mix and match features. They entice you with new plans to get you to drop the plans that you're using which are costing them more to offer. :roll:

They may be jerks, but they're not stupid. :wink:

Daniel
01-06-2003, 06:06 AM
No. It's the CDMA/1xRTT equivalent of the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition. The i700, on the other hand, is indeed a dumbed-down version of the 1xEV-DO device being released in Korea by Samsung.

--janak

Ok, so the article that got posted here saying that these will never come to be the US may not be entirely accurate? ;)

Daniel

Janak Parekh
01-06-2003, 06:57 AM
Ok, so the article that got posted here saying that these will never come to be the US may not be entirely accurate? ;)
It's perfectly accurate. Those two models will never come here. In that forum, we discussed the likelihood of the dumbed-down model, the i700, ever shipping. Hopefully, this software update will be the final boost necessary - the unit has been announced for months and months and nary a peep.

--janak

Daniel
01-06-2003, 08:05 AM
It's perfectly accurate. Those two models will never come here. In that forum, we discussed the likelihood of the dumbed-down model, the i700, ever shipping. Hopefully, this software update will be the final boost necessary - the unit has been announced for months and months and nary a peep.

--janak

I wasn't serious!

It's a shame that devices are announced so far ahead of schedule (let's assume that they have one!). The alternative is the Apple model though, announce stuff the day it comes out. Don't know which one I prefer.

Daniel

Jason Lee
01-06-2003, 03:45 PM
I wonder, if you already have Sprint's vision and you change your voice plan can they take away unlimited vision?

You can be sure they will. Any excuse to screw the customer. :lol:

Janak Parekh
01-06-2003, 04:39 PM
I wasn't serious!

It's a shame that devices are announced so far ahead of schedule (let's assume that they have one!). The alternative is the Apple model though, announce stuff the day it comes out. Don't know which one I prefer.
I was being serious ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Palm has the Apple reputation too, in general - very little leakage. Personally, I like to know what's coming out, but only if someone tells me it's really going to come out.

--janak

trog
01-08-2003, 11:13 PM
The problem with the manufacturer's releasing these great new phones is they do it with very little input from the carrier (ie: Verizon and Sprint). The Kyocera palm phone is a great example. They get the public all fired up, but it takes the carrier months to make it work properly on their network. I think sometime it is just glorified self-promotion and a little added pressure from the carrier to do the real work and make it integrate with their network. Public outcry for a device can be a huge negotiating tool.