View Full Version : Film on screen

Bearjaw
01-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Hey all , I just got my replacement Axim(had the D-pad issue). The D-pad is a nonissue with this new one but I'm wondering about something. The screen seems to have a slight film on it. No I'm not taking about the plastic sheet that you remove after unpacking, It seems like its sprayed on. You can see it when held at an angle. Does anyone have this on thier Axim and what do you think I should do? It doesnt interfer with anything but I was just wondering anyone else had this aon their recent units.. Jeff

P.S. How would I wash the screen?

Rirath
01-04-2003, 09:09 PM
I've always had good luck with tiny amounts of rubbing alcohol, but I can't really recommend it. It once took ink off my LCD monitor though without any harm. (Grandfather /w ink pen, pointing at screen... D'oh!)

Pony99CA
01-05-2003, 03:58 AM
I've always had good luck with tiny amounts of rubbing alcohol, but I can't really recommend it. It once took ink off my LCD monitor though without any harm. (Grandfather /w ink pen, pointing at screen... D'oh!)
The Dell wouldn't have an anti-glare coating, would it? If so, I think alcohol will strip that off, which may not be what you want.

Steve

seanturner
01-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Anyone ever tried windex on a screen? Never done it myself and too scared to try...

Roosterman
01-05-2003, 04:28 AM
I would be careful with the alchol. I believe that will leave behind a residue on the screen. I would think windex may be a bit harsh to use. My thought was to use a cleaner designed for eye glasses and a very soft rag, don't want to scratch that beauty. :)

Rirath
01-05-2003, 04:43 AM
From what I've been told, windex is too harsh for LCDs and would be a pretty bad idea. Never tried though.

I would be careful with the alchol. I believe that will leave behind a residue on the screen. I would think windex may be a bit harsh to use. My thought was to use a cleaner designed for eye glasses and a very soft rag, don't want to scratch that beauty.

Lol, before just this moment I never thought about how silly it is for me to use one of them microfiber LCD cloths, then frantically jab it with a piece of plastic all day long. :lol:

Kati Compton
01-05-2003, 04:46 AM
I would think that alcohol (rubbing, not beer ;)) would evaporate completely....

The only issue would be whether the alcohol would dry it out too much.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 04:48 AM
Yeah, it dries without a trace. All I can vouch for is how well it's worked for me on full sized LCD's. Can't really say past that. :(

dynomike27
01-05-2003, 04:59 AM
To clean the screen in general, they have PDA screen cleaners which are designed for PDA's/pocket pcs. I don't know if that will take the film off, if not, why don't you try HOT water, and a soft cloth, then see if you can peel it off.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Wouldn't hot water just melt something? 8O

dynomike27
01-05-2003, 05:06 AM
I thought the hot water would make it peel off.

seanturner
01-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I just use those HP tonor cleaning cloths with hot water myself.

Computer Ninja
01-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey all , I just got my replacement Axim(had the D-pad issue). The D-pad is a nonissue with this new one but I'm wondering about something. The screen seems to have a slight film on it. No I'm not taking about the plastic sheet that you remove after unpacking, It seems like its sprayed on. You can see it when held at an angle. Does anyone have this on thier Axim and what do you think I should do? It doesnt interfer with anything but I was just wondering anyone else had this aon their recent units.. Jeff

P.S. How would I wash the screen?

What d-pad issue did you have?