View Full Version : Cheap Price, but cheap quality??

Green_Day_20
01-04-2003, 08:09 PM
I was wondering...with the price so low, is there any short fall in the pc in regards to quality?

Willmonwah
01-04-2003, 08:15 PM
The only thing is a lack of an SDi/o port, I guess. The slower loading LCD screen, and a larger construction. In the 249 model, it's got less ROM, meaning it won't support the next OS as well, but it's well worth the money : ) .

Of course, I haven't seen the thing yet... :(

[Will]

dcantrel
01-04-2003, 08:33 PM
The Dell's are great, I have been using mine for over a week now. The build quality it perfect, no flaws. I think the screen is as good as the Compaq 39xx series, maybe better under certain circumstances. The 400mhz version has plenty of ROM for an update, the 300mhz doesn't. The lack of SDIO is not a major problem since the SD slot is more suited for memory with its positioning. If you are in the market for a new PPC device the Dell should be your frontrunner.

Dave

Rirath
01-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Well, there's no proof the next update will need 48 megs though... so can't say that for sure yet. I suspect the 300mhz Axim will upgrade just fine, if maybe lacking a feature or two.

But no, it's not a cheap unit. It's a real champ, so long as the size doesn't bother you. It's about the same size as a jornada, and smaller than a Ipaq with sleeve. A-ok by me. Only thing to be careful for is some messed up D-pads that shipped early on. Seems fixed now though.

Underwater Mike
01-04-2003, 09:39 PM
The only criticisms I have are the mushiness of the d-pad (registers all directions, just a lot of play in it) and the degree of force necessary to perform an "enter" click with the jog dial. But those are small potatoes overall and I'm very happy after the migration from my iPAQ.

The manufacturing tolerances on this thing are really tight -- the cradle and the Axim look like they were made in one piece -- and I don't have a sqeak, rattle or creak -- OR DUST. Much different than my first iPAQ experience. :roll:

twntaipan
01-05-2003, 01:19 AM
It's about the same size as a jornada, and smaller than a Ipaq with sleeve.

Comparing with the Ipaq is misleading (in terms of size). On the Axim (and Casio E-200) you have CF and SD slots in a form considerably smaller than the Ipaq with the sleave.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 01:41 AM
It's about the same size as a jornada, and smaller than a Ipaq with sleeve.

Comparing with the Ipaq is misleading (in terms of size). On the Axim (and Casio E-200) you have CF and SD slots in a form considerably smaller than the Ipaq with the sleave.

That's what I just said...

Steven Cedrone
01-05-2003, 01:57 AM
Well, there's no proof the next update will need 48 megs though... so can't say that for sure yet. I suspect the 300mhz Axim will upgrade just fine, if maybe lacking a feature or two.

Actually, worst case: not all of the OS will fit in ROM. That just means some of the apps may have to be loaded in RAM (hopefully, no features/functionality will be lost)...

Steve

Pony99CA
01-05-2003, 03:41 AM

Actually, worst case: not all of the OS will fit in ROM. That just means some of the apps may have to be loaded in RAM (hopefully, no features/functionality will be lost)...

There was one person on this site who claimed to have spoken with a Microsoft rep that said the new OS would fit in 32 MB ROM.

Steve

Roosterman
01-05-2003, 04:06 AM
I am with the rest. The X5 was my first PPC and I am very happy with it. Feature to $ ratio is outstanding in my book. Some complain about the size. All that says is the preferr size over features. For me getting the most bang for the buck is important. From that stand point, IMHO you can't go wrong with the Dell. :D

TheBacklash
01-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Nope, Can't go wrong with the Dell.

I love mine. I don't use the D-Pad as much as others, and mine is a slight bit mushy for my tastes, may swap it out later. But beyond that everything about the Dell is great.

those that complain about the size... I say cry me a river. http://www.thebacklash.com/emote/11baby.gif
It's about a half ounce heavier than most PPC's of today.
But with dual expansion slots, all that RAM/ROM, the 400mhz CPU, the screen is bright... and a pricetag of $300.
For that price, i'll "lug" around that extra half ounce :lol:

ultimate_ed
01-05-2003, 04:22 AM
I'll definitely 2nd Roosterman. I'm a long time Palm user and used to enjoy bashing Microsoft's attempts to get into the PDA market. While everyone will agree, the OS still has issues, this Axim, with it's excellent combination of price and features, was good enough to lead me to join the PPC camp. I think you'll find a lot of new Axim owners who share my story.