View Full Version : Can I update my ROM now?

Martin I Pettinger
01-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi

Yesterday I installed the new Service Patch for my iPAQ 3850 so I am now on SP3.

Looking at the Compaq (HP) site there is also a ROM upgrade from 1.15 to 1.20.

Question is - have I already upgraded my ROM to 1.20 as part of SP3? If not is it safe to upgrade to 1.20.

I am intrigued as to whether backlight and cleartype will improve as stated on the enhancements?

Martin

bdeli
01-04-2003, 10:43 PM
If you want to apply the ROM update 1.2 this will erase the EUU3 patch you have just applied.

So to get all your updates you will first need to apply the ROM update 1.2. After that apply the EUU3 update. Any hard resets after this point will leave you with the 1.20 ROM update and EUU3 update.

A ROM update will erase everything from your PPC. The EUU3 patch (which writes itself into the ROM) will leave your stuff and programs untouched.

bdeli
01-04-2003, 10:47 PM
As for fixes with the ROM update 1.2 & EUU3 - I have to say that I am quite happy with my iPAQ 3850 right now - you will get these fixes/enhancements

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixes

Adds support for specific SD formats to prevent unnecessary formating when an SD card is inserted

LED reminder to flash LED for more than 5 minutes

Battery gauge to show proper reading after removing from AC power

Lockup at the red and white screen during boot up

Windows Media Player skip, jump to the next song, and no audio while playing from an SD card

The error message “Project1.vb requires Visual Basic for Windows CE version 2.0 (\windows\pvbhost2.dll) which is not installed.” (French only)

Completely remove cached deleted text from the inbox

All fixes included within EUU Version 1.00

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enhancements

ClearType legibility

Temporary Backlight Off using the power button

Improves Screen Calibration test

Improves Virtual Memory utilization

Battery run-time improvement for the Expansion Pack Plus accessories

Adds support for Microsoft Server ActiveSync client

All enhancements included in EUU Version 1.00

Janak Parekh
01-04-2003, 11:26 PM
I am intrigued as to whether backlight and cleartype will improve as stated on the enhancements?
Yes, it's safe (inasmuch a ROM update is ever safe); and apart from what bdeli said, ClearType will "improve", but not to a revolutionary new level. The new ROM essentially eliminates the colored edges by making the font a little thicker.

--janak