View Full Version : Screen Deactivater

bgate
01-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Is deactivator spelled with an "e" or an "o"? I know I could have looked, but it seemed more interesting to do it this way. OK, looking for something to kill the screen (lengthen battery) while listening to books (have a Zen for the music). There are a couple of strong programs on Handango, what do people use? Even better, what do people recommend?

Thanks,
Brent

Steven Cedrone
01-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Is deactivator spelled with an "e" or an "o"? I know I could have looked, but it seemed more interesting to do it this way. OK, looking for something to kill the screen (lengthen battery) while listening to books (have a Zen for the music). There are a couple of strong programs on Handango, what do people use? Even better, what do people recommend?

Thanks,
Brent

Which Pocket PC do you have????

Steve

Rirath
01-04-2003, 07:08 AM
deactivator

de·ac·ti·vate (d¶-²k“t…-v³t”) tr.v. de·ac·ti·vat·ed, de·ac·ti·vat·ing, de·ac·ti·vates. 1. To render inactive or ineffective. 2. To inhibit, block, or disrupt the action of (an enzyme or other biological agent). 3. To remove from active military status. --de·ac”ti·va“tion n. --de·ac“ti·va”tor n.

Use the search and you can find a thread about a week ago about how to blank the screen using media player. Personally I use Nyditot's power util.

bgate
01-04-2003, 07:10 AM
I have the Dell.

bgate
01-04-2003, 07:14 AM
I am assuming you are using the Nyditot Virtual Display? How do you like the other features as well?

Brent

Rirath
01-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Well, right now I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't work right with the Axim. I can run it fine, and switch to landscape, and switch screen sizes and such. But, when I zoom in and pan around, I can no longer click on anything. A royal pain in the neck. Still no support either. :?

I'm keeping it for now though in the hopes of a fix later, and for landscape reading. The power function is quite handy too when binded to a key.

Here's Nyditot's official support forum and my results so far:
http://www.pocketnow.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bad0d2d5503444606cc9f071b248b1e5&postid=37683#post37683

Sent an unanswered email too.

Rirath
01-04-2003, 08:48 AM
So anyway, search is down and I can't find the thread again. Here's how ya do it.

Goto programs, Windows media player
Tools > Settings > Buttons
in the pull down menu, select Screen Toggle
Select the hardware key (One of the buttons or such)
Now DON'T check "unmap buttons"

Now just leave Media player open and go about your business... pushing that button should blank the screen. A bit of a hassle, but oh well. It works fine.

bgate
01-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Rirath,

Thanks for the tutorial-I'll probably just go with that until a solid utility comes out. Maybe that would be a good addition to Pocket Plus? Couldn't take much code or operating resources.

Brent

laser
01-05-2003, 05:09 AM
I wanted the ability to turn off my screen when listening to audio books, syncing with my laptop away from the cradle and should other needs arise when I want to leave my iPAQ on but not the screen.

I bought a program off of www.handango.com called Screen Off. It only cost $2.99 and it lets you map a button that when pushed turns off your screen. You can then push the same button to turn the screen back on. If you do not want to map a button you can activate it via an icon but then you have to power off and on to turn your screen back on.

I really like it and like the fact that I can use whatever audio player I want and do not have to change any settings to turn the screen off.

Good luck.

Laser

bgate
01-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Laser,

When I was reading the info about screen off, I was under the impression that it was an app that you had to activate to function. You are saying that it is always running in the background? Or is it an app that you leave on in the background?

Thanks,
Brent

Rirath
01-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Actually, it probably works by running a small exe or something when you push the button. Or running a shortcut that runs an exe... etc. I doubt it has to run in the background at all. I've never used it though, so don't know for certain. Try the demo. :)