View Full Version : Which to get....

-silent-
01-04-2003, 03:27 AM
I am new to Pocket PCs, and need help deciding what to get. Of course I would love to get a 39xx :D , but I am thinking that might be too much for me to spend on my first PDA.

So, I am thinking about the hp 1910 or the Axim. Which is better? I am looking for something that will play mp3s and movies well, as well as the usual contacts, internet, and microsoft products.

Thanks for your help!

The Big Jay
01-04-2003, 04:12 AM
I am new to Pocket PCs, and need help deciding what to get. Of course I would love to get a 39xx :D , but I am thinking that might be too much for me to spend on my first PDA.

So, I am thinking about the hp 1910 or the Axim. Which is better? I am looking for something that will play mp3s and movies well, as well as the usual contacts, internet, and microsoft products.

Thanks for your help!

Do you care about the size? If so get the 1910 or the Viewsonic.

If you don't, Axim is the way to go.

However, the Axim has more RAM (the full 64 MB), and a CF slot, which I find is a must have.

KyleC
01-04-2003, 04:39 AM
Don't get the Axim or Viewsonic. Dell and Viewsonic are new in the PDA market, and don't have the experience that Hewlett ComPaqard ( :) ) has in making handhelds. Also the Age of the Brick Pocket PCs is over. You want the thinnest, lightest handheld that you can get, especially if you have limited needs. I don't know how good the screens are on the Axim or V35, but the screen on the iPAQ h1910 is stunning. And it is more than capable of doing everything you need it to do. 8)

Sparkomatic
01-04-2003, 05:27 AM
I would tend to agree with Big Jay. The Dell Axim has "more" to offer than the iPAQ 1910. However, if size is of the utmost importance, the display and size of the 1910 are well worth it.

Brick PPC's are on their way out but obviously cost is a factor so you want the most bang for your buck too. I think you should compare the features of the Dell and HP and then choose. Good luck!

KyleC
01-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Brick PPC's are on their way out but obviously cost is a factor so you want the most bang for your buck too.
I suppose... that the Axim would create quite a bang if you dropped it... :wink:
I think you should compare the features of the Dell and HP and then choose. Good luck!
Also remember to compare that about three h1910 iPAQs could fit in the Axim. Nothing against Dell or anything, but I really don't see anything special in their product that makes it a compelling buy. :D

-silent-
01-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Please forgive this question, as I am a PPC n00bie:

How important are CF cards? How are they better than SD? What do they do?

I've looked at the 1910 and love the screen and its size. My problem is that I am looking for a PDA that does everything the hp 5455 does for the price of the 1910. And for that matter, why is the 3975 more than the 5455? (I'm still considering a more expensive PDA, I just want to know all information possible).

Thanks again!

KyleC
01-04-2003, 05:44 AM
I guess the big question is: do you want to be able to add devices on to your handheld (other than memory) through the expansion slots? If so then...the Axim is the way to go. if not, then the iPAQ h1910 will suit you nicely. Oh, and if you do get the new iPAQ, you will need 2.5mm headphones. :?

The 3975 should NOT be priced higher than the 5455. If you find a good deal on the 5455, GO FOR IT! That is, singlehandedly, the best PDA out there.

-silent-
01-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Radio Shack has a 2.5mm to 3.5mm piece for like $2.50.

I'm leaning towards the 1910.

For ethernet cards and the such, do you have to have CF slots?

bmhome1
01-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Go to a local store that has all the models (sorry Dell) so you can get a feel for what appeals to YOU. With large hands, I found the 1910 actually too small (like digital cameras, smaller doesn't always mean better handling). Heck, I actually prefer my 3955 WITH a dual slot PCMCIA brick for in-hand comfort, but I don't shelp mine in a pocket either. What will you do with yours? That's all that matters.

Also, these prices are out-of-whack. My sealed 3955 cost $390 two weeks ago at my local Staples.

Delta737
01-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Please forgive this question, as I am a PPC n00bie:

How important are CF cards? How are they better than SD? What do they do?

CF is a bit faster and cheaper (in MB/$) and there are a lot of CF add-ons (like LAN, Modem, WiFi, Radio, Bluetooth etc.). That's the advantage off CF

-silent-
01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
^^^ ahh, thanks. That clears things up.

Janak Parekh
01-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Don't get the Axim or Viewsonic. Dell and Viewsonic are new in the PDA market, and don't have the experience that Hewlett ComPaqard ( :) ) has in making handhelds.
I disagree. If we used that logic, no one would have bought a 3650. The Dell is a very solid unit, has amazing battery life, and the price is tough to beat.

Also the Age of the Brick Pocket PCs is over.
The Dell is not a brick. It's the same size as a Handspring Visor or about the same size as a Palm III. True, if size is important go for the 1910, but don't dismiss the Axim out of hand.

--janak

Ed Hansberry
01-04-2003, 08:36 PM
All three have fantastic screens.

HP 1910 advantages: Ultra-small. Has 46MB if usable RAM.
HP 1910 disadvantages: APps like WMP, MS Reader not in ROM. Must be installed in RAM. No spell checker. SD slot is not SDIO, so future SDIO cards (if they *ever* come out) may not work.

Axim Advantages: Dual CF/SD card. Has 32 or 64MB of usable RAM, depending on the model.
Axim disadvantages: Largest, but still the size of a normal iPAQ, so quite pocketable.

V35 Advantages: Very light, SDIO slot.
V35 disadvantages: only 36MB of usable RAM.

All three are very compelling. For ultra connectivity, the Axim wins hands down because of the CF slot. For ultra size, the 1910 wins hands down.

mirkazemisaman
01-05-2003, 03:43 AM

HP 1910 disadvantages: APps like WMP, MS Reader not in ROM. Must be installed in RAM. No spell checker. SD slot is not SDIO, so future SDIO cards (if they *ever* come out) may not work.

Axim Advantages: Dual CF/SD card. Has 32 or 64MB of usable RAM, depending on the model.
Axim disadvantages: Largest, but still the size of a normal iPAQ, so quite pocketable.

All three are very compelling. For ultra connectivity, the Axim wins hands down because of the CF slot. For ultra size, the 1910 wins hands down.

46 megs of "useable" RAM is not an advantage for the h1910, but rather a disadvantage. (Both for the ipaq 1910 AND the lower model Axim). As a matter of fact with today's PPCs anything less than 64 megs of "usable" RAM is a disadvantage...

Fishie
01-05-2003, 04:43 AM

You also forgot to add that the Axim has insanely long battery life, is verry cheap and the higher spec one comes with 48Megs of rom with over 20megs asignable as non volatile storage space.

marlof
01-05-2003, 08:16 AM
46 megs of "useable" RAM is not an advantage for the h1910, but rather a disadvantage. (Both for the ipaq 1910 AND the lower model Axim). As a matter of fact with today's PPCs anything less than 64 megs of "usable" RAM is a disadvantage...

It's an advantage when you compare these three basic units of which only one has 64 MB (the Axim 400 MHz), one has 48 MB (the HP iPAQ 1900) and two have 32 MB (the Axim 300 MHz and the Viewsonic). 48 MB is not *that* bad for an entry level product. 64 MB on the Axim 400 MHz is very nice 'though. :)

marlof
01-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Oh, and if you do get the new iPAQ, you will need 2.5mm headphones.

Radioshack carries a very cheap plug that converts 2.5mm into 3.5mm.

mirkazemisaman
01-05-2003, 08:51 AM
Marlof, do you have an Ipaq 1910?

Just wondering.....

Ed Hansberry
01-05-2003, 02:32 PM
99.9% sure he doesn't. 100% sure he isn't defending a purchase.

mirkazemisaman
01-05-2003, 09:34 PM
99.9% sure he doesn't. 100% sure he isn't defending a purchase.

Thanks for the info Ed,
I appologize if my post sounded offending...

-silent-
01-06-2003, 05:12 AM
has anyone played movies on the 1910? either mpgs or divx?

if so, how was the quality?