View Full Version : What is with PPC IR?

ux4484
01-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I really thought that my old Jornada 520 just had a flakey IR port, but now with my Axim.....it operates just as poorly :x

Still deciding if I really want to keep my Dell is not helped by something I do all the time with my Visor....IR communication: IR printer at home and work (HP free IR utility does not appear to work on the Dell :? ). and many Palm holding coworkers make for my Visor's IR being used muchly. It transfers contacs in just a second and most files/documents to print in under 10.

The Dell (just like the Jornada) takes 10 to 15 seconds to even recognize another device (Palm or PPC) then still has to send it and often locks up closing the connection (no, I do not tap the file/contact twice either). Every consecutive IR communication takes longer to the point of embarassment for my new "powerhouse" PDA.

So is this how PPC IR always works, or have I had TWO PPC's with flaky IR's?

Rirath
01-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Every consecutive IR communication takes longer to the point of embarassment for my new "powerhouse" PDA.

Who on earth claimed the Dell was a powerhouse? It's cheaper than every other PPC on the market right now... no big surprise it doesn't have the world's most powerful IR. As far as I know many PPC's IR devices are weak. I hear the Ipaqs have a pretty good range, maybe you should try one of them. They, are worthy of the term "powerhouse" both in completely excess features (biometrics, wireless, bluetooth, screen) and price.

Ed Hansberry
01-03-2003, 06:24 PM
I really thought that my old Jornada 520 just had a flakey IR port, but now with my Axim.....it operates just as poorly :x

The Dell (just like the Jornada) takes 10 to 15 seconds to even recognize another device (Palm or PPC) then still has to send it and often locks up closing the connection (no, I do not tap the file/contact twice either). Every consecutive IR communication takes longer to the point of embarassment for my new "powerhouse" PDA.

So is this how PPC IR always works, or have I had TWO PPC's with flaky IR's?

Flakey devices. I have had half a dozen Pocket PCs over the years and except for the glitch in the 3800 that recognizes bright sunlight as an IR transmission, they are all very fast and recognize devices instantly. You need to hold them about 8 inches away. I have noticed if you get them too close, they take a long time to recognize.

I IR sync several times a day at work - no cradle. The AS process actually starts faster via IR, though the actual sync is slower than USB.

Rirath
01-03-2003, 06:40 PM
When I transferred my contacts to the Dell using IR from the Jornada (and later sent some from the Dell to the J525), it was instant.

ux4484
01-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Rirath,
theoreticlly a 400Mhz PDA should be a powerhouse compared to my little 16Mhz Visor.
IR at close range SHOULD work for ALL PDA's as ed describes his as working.

ed,
I didn't call them ALL flakey devices, I was asking if this was typical, by comparison to my Palm IR experiance (which work from 4in to 6ft in my experiance) it does seem flakey. I've tried most distances from 6in to a foot and 8-10 does seem about the best, but it seems a very narrow beam compared to my Visors.

BTW, I got the HP utility working after a untinstall/reinstall, so at least now I can print, that is a swell utility (especially since HP printers with IR are at home and work).

Thank you both oh so much for the condescending replys.

Ed Hansberry
01-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Thank you both oh so much for the condescending replys.
My reply wasn't meant to be condescending. I was trying to be helpful.

Rirath
01-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Rirath,
theoreticlly a 400Mhz PDA should be a powerhouse compared to my little 16Mhz Visor.
IR at close range SHOULD work for ALL PDA's as ed describes his as working.

True, but to the best of my knowledge Ipaq has one of the best IR devices built in. I can't use programs like TV remotes further than a foot or two. Ipaqs can sometimes go 3-6 feet I hear. More range means stronger signal I'd imagine.

ux4484
01-03-2003, 07:34 PM
True, but to the best of my knowledge Ipaq has one of the best IR devices built in. I can't use programs like TV remotes further than a foot or two. Ipaqs can sometimes go 3-6 feet I hear. More range means stronger signal I'd imagine.

3-6 feet.....as does my measly Visor.

This can't be considered real power or cost savings as the only determinations for the Dell's low IR output. Intensity is based on the brightness of the LED and the (embedded) load resistor across it. If my Visor can't detect another device it tells me in 3 seconds, it takes the Dell upward of 30 seconds.....and it's useless (for the app you're trying to beam from) while it's doing that, if it see's it, it's not so bad.....again seeing it is the problem.

I have to say the HP IR utility is pretty cool now that it's working (even for pictures :D :D ). So now I guess I'll have to find the magic angle/distance for trading ebooks (.pdb :D ) and contacts with Palm users.