View Full Version : High Pitched Noise in 400 MHz Axim

jerryr
01-03-2003, 02:19 PM
My boss and I got 400 MHz Axims last week and both of them make a high-pitched squeal when they are turned on. Has anyone else run into this? I previously had a Jornada 540 and an iPaq 3650 and neither one of them made this noise.

blazingwolf
01-03-2003, 03:35 PM
My wife's Dell does not do this nor have I heard anyone else say that they have this problem.

Kevin C. Tofel
01-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I've had my Axim for 3 weeks.....no noise (other than MP3's!). I would contact Dell Customer Service as quickly as possible. Just out of curiousity: are the 2 unit's Service Tag numbers or Serial numbers close to each other? I'm wondering if they were manufactured in the same 'batch'.....

KCT

ux4484
01-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Two usual PDA squeal causes: Noisy Capacitor in the power circuit......or you're hearing the backlight (they all hum, but it's supposed to be above the range of human hearing around 1440khz and above). Can others hear it also? Could be that you (and your bosses) hearing is sensitive?
In my younger days I could never be close to TV's as the whine from the horizontal oscillator would give me headaches.
Does it hum only when your power it up or all while it is running?
If it's all the time, it's likely the backlight (listen to it when the backlight timeout turns off with the screen still on to verifty). If it's only at first power up, it's likely in the power circuit. If it really bugs you, both would be returnalble complaints as far as I'm concerned.

jerryr
01-03-2003, 04:50 PM
1/2 the people I have tested have been able to hear it. I do have sensitive hearing. It does it all the time, including when the backlight is out.

ux4484
01-03-2003, 05:40 PM
I can't hear any whine from mine (I asked my kids who still usually hear that stuff, they didn't hear anything either). So I tried an oscilloscope with a "sniffer" type probe. I picked up about 1600KC (at a very low level) from the backlight, but nothing lower frequency than that from either the speaker, the power connector, or the docking connector regardless of volume setting or backlight intensity. Sounds like you have a noisy power circuit........SoooOOOooo......

Dude.....you're getting ANOTHER Dell!

Kati Compton
01-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I have it. I can only hear it when I hold it up to my ear and/or at night when it's really quiet.

Pat Logsdon
01-03-2003, 07:50 PM
I suspect gnomes.

I can actually hear this too, but only if there's no ambient noise. It's the same steady sound except when the processor is working. Doesn't seem to matter what the processor speed is, or the backlight intensity.

spaceDJ
01-13-2003, 12:56 AM
I can hear it too. But only when I put my earphone on and pluged-into the PDA when no music is playing or muted.