View Full Version : Help! Socket Bluetooth to T68 on T-Mobile

jpaq
01-02-2003, 09:30 PM
I had to wipe my Maestro and in doing so, lost my T-Mobile Bluetooth Dial string.

Anyone?
Anyone?

Thanks in advance!
8O

daS
01-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Try simply *99#

If that doesn't work, then there's a more complex one I can give you.

David Shier
www.BluetoothNews.com

handheldplanet
01-03-2003, 10:06 PM
I was told to use
*99***2#
and it's worked great for me so far.

Good luck!

daS
01-04-2003, 12:06 AM
I was told to use
*99***2#
and it's worked great for me so far.

Good luck!

That's the "more complex" version I was talking about. :wink:

The reason it's more complex is that the number "2" in that string is the CID number that is associated with the GPRS setup in the phone. If your phone has the GRPS ISP connection assigned to a different CID, then you need to use a different number there.

However, with some carriers (I think T-Mobile is one of them) leaving this off by using *99# does the trick.

David Shier
www.BluetoothNews.com

Computer Ninja
01-04-2003, 07:09 PM
I have a Dell Axim X5 and a Sony Ericsson T68i with AT&T. Can I get a bluetooth CF card for my Axim and use my phone to get online?

Computer Ninja
01-04-2003, 07:56 PM
I just figured out, with the help of this site, how to connect wirelessly via IR. Now I have to figure out if I'd really want to spend the money on a bluetooth card and stomach the data costs with AT&T.

daS
01-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Now I have to figure out if I'd really want to spend the money on a bluetooth card and stomach the data costs with AT&T.

Well I would reverse the two. That is, you can use the IrDA connection to see if you want wireless data. If so, then switching from IrDA to Bluetooth is well worth the extra cost of the card. Before I got the T68i, I was using IrDA to connect my phone and Pocket PC. What a hassle! :really mad: I would walk through an airport balancing my PPC and phone in one hand trying to keep the IR ports lined up – but not too close together. And this was totally useless for dialing.

Because I have a lot of business contacts in Outlook that I rarely need to call, I don’t want to clutter up the phone list on the T68i with them – that way there’s less to scroll through to get to the people I call most often. But, it was a much bigger bother to dial from the PPC than to just copy the phone number by hand for the occasional number. On the other hand, with Bluetooth, it’s easy to tap the dial contact item from within Outlook, then use the phone. The same thing holds for SMS messaging. I hate T9 text entry. What a joke! But using Bluetooth, it’s easy to write SMS messages on the Pocket PC and send them with the phone.

In short – Bluetooth is the way to go! :way to go:

Computer Ninja
01-04-2003, 08:39 PM
How much are bluetooth cards these days?

daS
01-04-2003, 09:06 PM

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know the current street prices of the cards :roll: – but they're dropping all the time.

However (warning: shameless plug to follow 8) ) we have a brief review of three of the most popular cards on our web site at: http://www.bluetoothnews.com/productreviews/productreview.htm

jpaq
01-07-2003, 03:06 PM
This is why I love this site and this community. I posted this and you have all come to my recue. Thank you all!!!

:werenotworthy:

jpaq
01-07-2003, 03:58 PM

Computer Ninja:
Take a look at http://www.socketcom.com/
Socket has a great reputation in the CF card business and they seem to be headed into the SD card business as well.

You can look at the most current price on the Bluetooth card here or just search the internet on sites like www.pricegrabber.com www.buy.com and others for discounted prices.

Good Luck!!!

shill79
01-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Alright... I'm just a Bluetooth CF card away from completing my little personal network with my Dell Axim and t68i. Any suggestions? Here are my thoughts so far:

Socket BT CF card: Expensive, No external antenna (good thing), No file transfer profile (does this mean I can't send themes/pics/etc. to my t68i? via BT)

Belkin: Cheap, potential compatibility problems, fairly big external antenna

Any others? Any suggestions?

daS
01-08-2003, 03:24 AM
Alright... I'm just a Bluetooth CF card away from completing my little personal network with my Dell Axim and t68i. Any suggestions?

Yes! A shameless plug: read our web site at www.BluetoothNews.com We compared the two cards you noted and one from Anycom.

Socket BT CF card: Expensive, No external antenna (good thing), No file transfer profile (does this mean I can't send themes/pics/etc. to my t68i? via BT)

No, you won't have a problem sending/receiving files with the Socket card and the T68i. That's the combination I'm currently using.

I also recommend that you get a copy of mPhone from www.mobem.com and GPRS Monitor from www.softspb.com

jpaq
01-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Das and Shill,

I just wrote Socket about the file transfer profile and here is the response I got:

"The services for file transfer and OBEX support are not currently supported in the commercial release of the drivers for WinCE. These features will enable the cards to do what you are talking about in the situations described below.

The next software release for the commercial product will have these features and it should be sometime in February for download off of our website."

Just thought I'd keep anyone on this thread up to date.
:D

daS
01-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Das and Shill,

I just wrote Socket about the file transfer profile and here is the response I got:

"The services for file transfer and OBEX support are not currently supported in the commercial release of the drivers for WinCE. These features will enable the cards to do what you are talking about in the situations described below.

The next software release for the commercial product will have these features and it should be sometime in February for download off of our website."

Just thought I'd keep anyone on this thread up to date.
:D

Well that might be the acurate answer to the question that you asked Socket, but it doesn't mean that Shill79 won't be able to do what he wants if he selects the Socket card. I can tell you that I use the Socket CF card with mPhone Pro (www.mobem.com) software and a T68i phone. With this combination I'm able to transfer images to the phone (I have my company logo that you see on the left here as my logo on the phone.) Regardless of which card I use (Socket, Belkin or Anycom) I can use all the features of mPhone.

You don't need the FTP profile within the Bluetooth driver to do that. Bluetooth uses a layered (aka stack) set of protocols. Things like FTP and OBEX are built on more basic protocols that are part of every Bluetooth device (other than perhaps headsets that might only have the audio protocols included in hardware - but I'm not really sure.) So if a company like Socket doesn't provide certain profiles it doesn't prohibit an application from duplicating them.

So while it's good news that Socket will be adding such features to their software, the lack of them shouldn't be a problem if someone is willing to spend the extra money for mPhone. (Which I recommend anyway.)

Well this discussion is very useful to me - It's given me an idea for another article for our site. :D

FredMurphy
01-08-2003, 04:25 PM
The services for file transfer and OBEX support are not currently supported in the commercial release of the drivers for WinCE. These features will enable the cards to do what you are talking about in the situations described below.

The next software release for the commercial product will have these features and it should be sometime in February for download off of our website.

I've got the beta of these Socket drivers and they work well.

Fred