View Full Version : Tales of a Switcher: Treo 270 -> XDA

anthonymoody
01-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Tales of a Switcher, or, Why a die hard Palm user switched from a Treo 270 to a T-Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition (aka XDA) – by Anthony Moody

Recently I made a move that for some is a big one: I switched PDA platforms. On the other hand, some of you are probably thinking ‘Big Deal’ or ‘So What.’ Well I’ll tell you so what. In casual reading and posting in forums around the internet (Brighthand, PocketPCPassion, PocketPCThoughts, PDAPhoneHome, and PPCW…all of which I heartily recommend) I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of questions I’ve received about my experience. I guess the new, lower prices of PPCs and the higher prices of the latest model Palm OS devices has prompted many folks to consider a switch. So I thought I’d share my experiences. This is not meant to be a review of a particular device per se (so many of those exist already) but more of an overview of my switching experience. I may occasionally meander into device specific stuff, but that’s mostly because I absolutely love the XDA…

First, it’s important to know upfront that I’m a gadget guy and an early adopter, and often purchase items simply because I like to have the latest and greatest. It’s a habit that extends far beyond PDAs (unfortunately for my wallet!). I don’t always need what I buy, but I’m usually pretty excited about it nonetheless. Second, I’m relatively tech-savvy. Not a coder, more of a power user. Next, I extensively research every major purchase I make so that by the time the product is in my hands I feel well informed if not an expert. And finally, I waited several weeks before writing this to make sure I’d put the XDA sufficiently through the paces.

I suppose it may be useful to describe what I felt was lacking in the Treo 270. For many months the answer was GPRS. The long-promised, much-delayed patch from Handspring did finally arrive, right around the time my XDA came. I installed the patch and added a data plan to my account (as an aside, I also went from 1500 minutes for $100/month to 5000 minutes for $100/month…at $.02/minute we’re getting closer to all you can eat!). I must admit, GPRS made surfing on the Treo 270 a more enjoyable experience than via dial up. It connected more quickly than via dial-up and surfing felt snappier. That said, it was still pretty slow, and the smallish screen and poor resolution made the experience that much worse. Another issue I had with the Treo is that the email is not “always on”. Yes, you can set it to check for mail every so often, but this falls short of Blackberry functionality.

Most else about the Treo was acceptable to me for the most part. Some things, like the built-in back-lit keyboard, I loved (and still miss). I’ve owned several Palms (from the Palm Pilot 1000 to a Palm III to a V to a Vx to a Treo 180 and finally to a 270) and have gotten very used to the Palm OS, its simplicity functionality, capabilities, and software availability. In general though, it was the converged nature of the Treo that showed me that I could (and should) expect more from a device. That’s what ultimately led me to the XDA.

Once I saw that a phone and a PDA could peacefully coexist in the same chassis I began to crave other functionality: multi-media, larger screen, greater resolution, better games, etc. So it wasn’t so much that something was wrong with the Treo as right with other devices. In essence, it was the Treo’s relatively successful convergence of PDA and phone that led me to switch. I wanted more. I know that some of the new Palm devices offer more, including many of the richer features I was craving. But none of them are also phones. For me that is now a prerequisite. If the latest Sony had built in GSM/GPRS capabilities, I may have gone that way. Instead, the XDA was really the only way to go since I didn’t want to wait for the GSM/GPRS iPaq 5xxx (last I heard it was scheduled for Q2 ’03 and is likely to slip IMO).

When my research landed on the XDA I realized that I would be switching more than devices. As a PDA the XDA is a relatively full featured device running a completely different OS than the one I’m used to. However, I’ve found the switch to the PocketPC OS to be quite easy. As a Windows user, it’s difficult to imagine having trouble learning your way around a PocketPC based PDA. Other than the fact that they relocated the ‘main’ menu from the lower left to the upper left, the functionality is remarkably similar to that of the PCs we’re so used to using (and I mean that in a good way!). The other difference that took some (about eight seconds worth…) getting used to is the fact that programs must be manually closed (with a 3rd party task switcher) since they don’t automatically close when you launch a new application.

Beyond these issues, as I said it’s a surprisingly close approximation of using a PC, and therefore very easy to pick up. In fact, I recently had to use my girlfriend’s Palm to look up a contact (I’d forgotten my XDA at home) and found that the Palm OS was somehow counter intuitive. Despite years of Palm OS use, after just a couple months with the PPC OS I immediately found the Palm OS to be clunky – I’d literally forgotten how to do certain things. I realize that the Palm OS it’s usually lauded for its streamlined simplicity, but after PPC it feels not only simple but overly simplistic – like going to a DOS machine after Windows XP.

I also find that syncing is a faster, easier process. I like that every time I insert it into the cradle the XDA immediately syncs with Outlook. My initial sync was quite easy as well. I sync’d my Treo to Outlook, then connected the XDA cradle, installed ActiveSync, and was off to the races. As a PDA, the XDA works great – it keeps easy track of my contacts and calendar (I don’t really use the Notes or other PDA functions so much). I also find the SMS and email capabilities as good as or better than those of the Treo.

But the best thing about the XDA is that it’s so much more. I actually read a whole ebook for the first time ever (Dracula…) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I’d never think of reading a book on a Treo’s screen, that’s for sure! Also, having Windows Media Player, a built-in headphone jack, a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm converter, and a nice set of headphones means I don’t carry my MP3 player anymore! And I can carry lots of extra tunes around in postage stamp sized SD cards (WOW are they small!). The Treo can’t touch that expandability, nor does it have the XDA’s essentially unlimited selection of ring tones or WOW factor of graphics on games like Rayman Ultimate.

With the recent release and installation of the EUU3 ROM update and radio stack fix for the XDA by T-Mobile, the device is more stable than ever. Combined with the 64MB RAM upgrade I had PocketPCTechs perform (a great service delivered in a professional and timely manner by a great bunch of folks – highly recommended), the device feels limitless (for my needs anyway). The GPRS connection hooks up in a snap and the surfing speeds are very quick. Using the Thunderhawk browser (which surfs in landscape mode) is a real eye-opener – the kind of thing that makes you feel like you’re seeing the future, but in the here and now. I never really felt that way with my Treo.

Yes, the email is not ‘always on’ like a Blackberry’s, but as I mentioned nor is the Treos. I get an SMS notification whenever I have an email so this is not a problem. I do miss the built in keyboard of the Treo, but SPBs Full Screen Keyboard program has gone a long way toward making me forget about it. SPB is said to be working on a fix to get the application to work better with the XDA. Yes, there are Palms (particularly the latest Sony clamshell designs) which contain much of what I like in the XDA but omit the most crucial – built in GSM/GPRS.

What more can I say? Is the device perfect? No. One can always stand for more speed, more storage, higher screen resolution, a couple more ‘hard’ buttons, maybe a built in keyboard, WiFi, Bluetooth, and an SDIO capable SD slot. However, for my needs, desires and use, the XDA easily outpaces the Treo. When the next generation of devices comes out I’ll be there to evaluate them, but I suspect I’ll stick with a PocketPC OS device. Palm, Handspring, Sony et al will have to do a great many things with their devices before I’ll go back…