View Full Version : GPS Receivers

two_wheels
01-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Has anybody tried different in car navigation systems for the PocketPC and have some comments on the various options? I'll need a receiver, as well as the software.

Pocket Steets (YUCK!)
NavMan (seems like a good choice)
TravRoute CoPilot (Expensive)
Pharos GPS (seems to have poor support -- good price)

Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2003, 09:17 PM
I couldn't respond to your poll since I don't have an iPaq :) I have played with in-vehicle navigation with my Jornada however. I don't think my experiences would be that usefull as they are somewhat limited and only play based, not need based.

You might try taking a look at www.gpspassion.com for lots of reviews on software and hardware, as well as some PPC GPS dedicated forums.

I think you'll find that Mapopolis is becoming the most frequently recommended software. Hardware depends a lot on the application and pocketbook.

two_wheels
01-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the URL... I'll take a look there!!!

jt3
01-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I use the NavMan sleeve (3420), and I love it. I have a couple friends that have other products (one has the CoPilot, and one has the Pharos), and they both ooh'd and ah'd over mine. The Navman software is way better than the other two. Plus, the NavMan sleeve is universal. You can use any standard GPS-aware software. The TravRoute model, even though it's a NavMan sleeve, is slightly modified, making it so that the sleeve won't work without the Co-Pilot software, and vice-versa. That's a pretty big deal, since I can actually plot a route WITHOUT the sleeve attached.

Also, the NavMan software has a TON of information on businesses in major cities. That includes addresses and telephone numbers! The last time I took a trip, it was nice to find a restaurant by name already in the database, and even be able to look up the phone number, so that I could call for reservations! I don't have enough experience with other software to know whether or not that's common, but the NavMan software certainly impressed me with the amount of data it stores.

The only drawback I've seen so far is that the NavMan software doesn't seem to like it very much when you get off of a road. Others simply draw your icon wherever you are, but NavMan assumes it must have a bad fix, or bad data, so it tries to "place" you on the nearest road, which can sometimes be annoying. If you get TOO far off the beaten path, it will give up and act normally, but if you're close to a road, it's going to assume you're on it. Also, unlike some which will tell you that the "Destination is on the Right", this one simply says "Destination" because to it, everything is "on" the road, not to the right or left of it. It's a quirk, but (to me) outweighed by all the other features.

Pony99CA
01-06-2003, 04:42 PM
I use the NavMan sleeve (3420), and I love it. I have a couple friends that have other products (one has the CoPilot, and one has the Pharos), and they both ooh'd and ah'd over mine. The Navman software is way better than the other two. Plus, the NavMan sleeve is universal. You can use any standard GPS-aware software. The TravRoute model, even though it's a NavMan sleeve, is slightly modified, making it so that the sleeve won't work without the Co-Pilot software, and vice-versa. That's a pretty big deal, since I can actually plot a route WITHOUT the sleeve attached.

What you said about the Pocket CoPilot software is not quite correct. I have the Pocket CoPilot 3.0 Jacket Edition for my iPAQ 3870, and I certainly can plot a route without the sleeve attached.

Steve

handheldplanet
01-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Hardware-wise I'm most excited about the new Socket Bluetooth GPS device (now that I'm all bluetooth-enabled). The idea of keeping the GPS hardware in a bag while my PDA shows me where I am is just incredible!

Now, if only price will come down!

Adam
01-06-2003, 06:40 PM
I like the look of the BT one, too. It's got very good reviews - especially on it's ability to get fixes.

Here's another site you might find useful, though it's a UK based one, it does have a number of reviews.

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.asp

jt3
01-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Pony99CA, is that a new feature with version 3.0? I'm not sure if my friend has version 3.0 or not, but either his can't plot a course without the sleeve, or he doesn't know how to do it. I stand corrected, though; thanks, that's good to know. If it's a new feature, I'll see what version he's got. If it's NOT a new feature, I'll tell him to break down and read the instructions. :idea: 8O :idea:

I assume, however, that the CoPilot software is still the only software that will recognize the TravRoute sleeve? That's the main reason I didn't buy it. My NavMan sleeve will use any software, and even though I like their software, I'd switch in a heartbeat if I ever found something better. I don't like being tied to one vendor.

Pony99CA
01-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Pony99CA, is that a new feature with version 3.0? I'm not sure if my friend has version 3.0 or not, but either his can't plot a course without the sleeve, or he doesn't know how to do it. I stand corrected, though; thanks, that's good to know. If it's a new feature, I'll see what version he's got. If it's NOT a new feature, I'll tell him to break down and read the instructions. :idea: 8O :idea:

I believe I could use the Planning mode to plot a route in Pocket CoPilot 2.0, so I don't think it's a new feature.

I assume, however, that the CoPilot software is still the only software that will recognize the TravRoute sleeve? That's the main reason I didn't buy it. My NavMan sleeve will use any software, and even though I like their software, I'd switch in a heartbeat if I ever found something better. I don't like being tied to one vendor.

I think the new TravRoute sleeve can be used with other GPS software, but I can't swear to that, as I don't have it.

Steve

Pete Wilson
01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Hardware-wise I'm most excited about the new Socket Bluetooth GPS device (now that I'm all bluetooth-enabled). The idea of keeping the GPS hardware in a bag while my PDA shows me where I am is just incredible!

Now, if only price will come down!

I thought that was a good idea, but now I'm thinking a GPS enabled bluetooth phone should provide NMEA GPS as a service for bluetooth. When that's available, then we'll have something!

ChasG
01-26-2003, 03:29 AM
I have been running DESTINATOR street-level for 4-5 weeks on an IPAQ 3970 with a EMTAC BTGPS and a 256 SD card and I could not be more satisfied. I spend a lot of time in rental cars in citys where I do not know my way around and it has not let me down. I thought about tieing the EMTAC to a piece of 2x4 so I would not forget it when I turned the car in, but the EMTAC BTGPS will pull in and hold Sats. (4-5) while in your pocket. This is a VERY good combination that I do recomend. Hope that helps! Charlie

ajf
01-31-2003, 10:38 PM
I have played with Garmin eTrex Venture hooked up to my iPAQ 3835 using Mapopolis demo software. It worked really well even with the lowest quality maps. The only issue is that the cables are a bit unweidly.

I haven't decided to spend $ on a map subscription yet. But if you happen to already have a Garmin it's a pretty inexpensive solution.

[By the way, the one thing I did learn playing around with this set-up is to turn off the Stowaway Hot-dock option so that the mapping software could receive the signals from the GPS.]

ajf