View Full Version : Is Dell Axim X5 flash upgradable?

cdcooker
01-02-2003, 05:26 PM
As we should expect a new version of Pocket PC 2003 from Microsoft in this year, I would like to know if the X5 is flash upgradable like iPAQ and Toshiba.

Thanks.

bluevolume
01-02-2003, 05:47 PM
The Axim is most definately flash upgradable, given that the OS lies in the flash rom chip. This doesn't, however, guarantee us that Dell will release an upgrade for the X5.

If MS does release a new PocketPC version based on CE.Net, I would be willing to pay Dell for it. I don't expect that it would be a free upgrade.

Blue

Bob Anderson
01-02-2003, 06:24 PM
The Axim is most definately flash upgradable, given that the OS lies in the flash rom chip. This doesn't, however, guarantee us that Dell will release an upgrade for the X5.

If MS does release a new PocketPC version based on CE.Net, I would be willing to pay Dell for it. I don't expect that it would be a free upgrade.

Blue

When Microsoft released the PPC 2002 O/S, they had specific requirements about amounts of memory, the types and processors used/supported. FLASH ROM was a requirement - presumably so that you could upgrade later...

However... the key is to buy from a vendor you have faith in... Microsoft won't sell the O/S upgrades to end users if the past is any indicator. And if your vendor doesn't offer the upgrade you'll be out of luck.

One final point... don't get your hopes up too much about the upgradeability factor. Why? Well, when us iPaq 36xx users paid top dollar for our units when they first came out... we knew they had upgradeable ROM 8) . But the problem was that it was only 16mb, which, at the time seemed like enough. Then the upgrade came out for PPC 2002, and we soon realized that yes, we could upgrade, but not all features could be loaded into the ROM :roll: (Windows Media Player being the most notable.) So if and when MSFT releases the new PPC OS, who knows what the ROM requirements will be (personally -- I wouldn't buy any unit that doesn't have the 48MB of ROM that is now becoming available.)

So there's a lot to consider when contemplating "upgradeability" of ROM in the Axim. I have much faith in Dell and supporting their products, but then again they have entered and exited markets before...

yellowdemon
01-03-2003, 09:11 PM
How many versions of the pocket pc os were there before pocket2002?

Janak Parekh
01-03-2003, 09:15 PM
How many versions of the pocket pc os were there before pocket2002?
One - Pocket PC 2000. PPC 2000 was an evolution from Palm-Sized PC (PSPC, based on WinCE 2.0/2.1). That evolved from Handheld PC (based on WinCE 1.0).

--janak

nosmohtac
01-05-2003, 07:41 AM
I've been in the pocket pc game for a while, starting with a jornada 548, and then a 568, next will be an axim.
I don't know what CE.Net is though. Could you explain a little,please?