View Full Version : Today Screen Icons

jk
01-02-2003, 04:54 PM
I got my Axim for Christmas. It is a great unit and my first pocket pc.

Now I have a newbie question. I was under the impression that I couldn't create a shortcut icon on the today screen and then I saw this pic for spb pocket plus. Is this a function of that software or is there a way I can create shortcuts on the today screen?

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/images2/pocketplus.gif

blazingwolf
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
That is a plug in for the today screen. It is a launcher program. To my knowledge there is no way to put icons on the today screen with out it being a plug in. There are several free ones that are available, just do a search. You can also check www.pocketgear.com or www.handango.com.

ferrysj
01-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Here's what I figured out. The shortcuts are a result of the ad-on software. Adjustments to to Today screen are often called "plug-ins" There are several that allow shortcuts. Battery Pack 2002 also does this and allows multiple icon bars (via a neat scroll) and keeps your screen tidy if you have lots of icons. I tried BP2002 and am now trying Pkt Plus.

The shortcuts are the only thing I need so it is nice to be able to turn-off the other stuff I do not want and both products handle that well. Ajustments are handled under Start/Settings/Today and once you have one of these programs installed there will be other option to turn on or off.

I am now learning how to replace (skin) the Today screen. Your next desire will probably be to have more detail of tasks and appointments from visually on the Today screen. again, a plug-in seems to be required. I am looking at scarybear's and developerone's task and appointment plug-ins.

Have fun

TheBacklash
01-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Yeah thats a Plug in only feature But for the $10 you get a great little program. true closing of programs. Repeating alarms.
program bar (part of Battery pack) which can be up to 5 lines, scrolling or not, is great.

I use Battery pack (got it free) and pocket plus. Both work great.
Don't know of the freeware versions though.

Looked on handango just now, looks like a bunch of programs that do this now, didn't look at price though.

Rirath
01-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Here's what I figured out. The shortcuts are a result of the ad-on software. Adjustments to to Today screen are often called "plug-ins" There are several that allow shortcuts

Anyone else totally picture that read in a Doctor Evil voice? "Plug-ins". :wink:
Dr. Evil: "Adjustments to the "Today screen" are called "plug-ins". Overall, I think the "plug-ins" feel good on the whole." :)

ferrysj
01-03-2003, 08:20 PM
I think I have settled on iStatus (at least for now :) )

jk's Axim has a rather nifty task manager built in (Start/Settings/System/Switcher Bar). When open, it resides in the windows bar so task switcher/close, battery and backlight are always one tap away; even within a program like the others. Paste a short-cut to the startup and it is alway on.

Since I do not browse the web on my PPC, I do not need the extra windows options.

Istatus gives me the short-cut icons and a quick view of the memory status and tells me how I feel in case I didn't know . . . at a great price.