View Full Version : Happy New Smart Year

Andy Sjostrom
01-02-2003, 10:36 AM
I hope this year will be a smart year where really Smart Hardware meets really Smart Software. The last year was quite interesting. More makers, features and price points than ever before. But when did we last see anything really smart?<br /><b>Design.</b> Where is that smarter and better looking hardware design? Looks have been very much the same the last couple of years. I hope to see more creativity and differentation taking place.<br /><b>Connectivity.</b> Smart software is smart both connected and disconnected. But going online can still be quite tricky. I bet at least one of the following acronyms brings back creepy memories: GSM, GPRS, WiFi, BT. I would like to see smart connectivity self-configuration.<br /><b>Usability.</b> We're heading the wrong way if you have to become smarter along with your device to use it.<br /><b>Scenarios.</b> It's useless if it's unused. "We need to come up with compelling and reality based scenarios for companies and consumers!" should be a statement of the past. As technology becomes mainstream companies and consumers figure out scenarios themselves and looks to the IT-industry for smart code to implement them. We need to talk less and listen more.<br /><b>Balance.</b> Just back from a long Christmas vacation. Smart devices are too fun for our own good. Smart is the one who can find smart life balance.

andrewjhscott
01-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Design - agree completely; there is an increasing number of manufacturers producing the PocketPC form but there is a danger that we head down the path of simply packing more processing power into the same box (albeit not beige at least...). I'd like to see innovation but it needs to be business driven and not 'geek' driven - PocketPCs are now becoming mainstream corporate devices and this should be reflected.
Connectivity - if one thing has driven me to despair with my current PocketPC (Loox) it's the connectivity. I've installed BVRP's GPRS Manager which is a good little tool and makes the process more user-friendly but we've got a way to go before we can switch on and be connected by whatever network type is available. Dare I mention seamless?
Usability - I'm still holding on to the Handheld form as well - I know it's a subjective area but I still find a hendheld PC (just purchased an Intermec 6651 after selling my MobilePro 790) the easiest way to email/write docs when I'm on the move. Add-on keyboards serve a purpose but don't really work for me.
Scenarios - I spend a lot of time showing colleagues at work what a Pocket/Handheld PC can actually do (sync Lotus Notes, access the network, etc, etc) and they are always impressed - so why aren't they getting that message through the manufacturers, distributors and retailers? I think there is a real lack of knowledge in businesses around this area - but solutions need to be robust. Users lose interest pretty quickly when you're tinkering with their machine to show how it connects....
Balance - yes well....

I hope 2003 is a year of standards and robust solutions - Bluetooth devices talk to each other (easily), WiFi networks are wide-ranging, developers work on user-friendly interfaces not computing power and that the Handheld form makes a comeback (see the new Samsung ttp://www.samsungelectronics.com/pda/nexio.html)

Look forward to everyone else's views....

Cheers

Andrew

Evee Ev
01-02-2003, 02:17 PM
i agree totally that we shouldn't have to become smarter when using new devices.

Chris Forsberg
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Ok, here's my view:

Design Yes, let's begin the new year with a feature wish-list starting with things like Intrinsyc's reference design (http://www.intrinsyc.com/investors/pressreleases/2002/12_19_2002.asp).
Connectivity With new designs comes obvious features like built-in Ethernet, WiFi, GSM, GPRS, USB, etc. With integreated connectivity, things like self-configuration and setup becomes doable.
Usability With new designs, like new resolutions, built-in keyboard (and even camera) increases the challange of making the (damned) thing usable. Remembering that this is a personal and business TOOL, makes us prioritize "ease of use" before "feature rich".
Scenarios Not only do we have to listen more, we have to act too! Let's build those business critical applications that makes businesses realize there's pure value in putting this technology to work. My wish for 2003 is to see (and hopefully also be part of creating) as many success stories as possible. Those success stories will open the eyes of decision makers and release the full potential of mobile computing.
Balance Yes, of course you're completely right. The winner is the one that can combine spiritual/emotional success with material success. In short: be happy, create smart solutions!

Thanks, Andy, for the discussion. Disucssions like this becomes more important as we go towards a more mature market. We simply cannot sit back and watch, we have to act and contribute.

Peter Foot
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
I second the point on Standards. We already have quite a good selection of established standards and protocols which should be built on without introducing proprietary variations. Also there should be better interoperation and integration of these different standards and protocols.

Picking up Andy's point this definately needs to include seemless network connectivity and switchovers using as many different transports as are available and using the most appropriate one.

If systems are to be truly smart they need to be device independant such that although capabilities differ between say desktop, smartphone, wap and pocket pc handsets you can access your apps and data across disparate platforms easily.