View Full Version : CF to PC

Minime00
01-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Can I buy a dual Compact Flash expansion pack and use somekind of adapter to conver one of the slots into a PC card slot? :?:

sgyee
01-02-2003, 03:47 AM
You could. Be aware that not every PCMCIA card will handle the conversion. An excellent case in point would be any of the Sierra Wireless Aircards....they require all the address bus slots on the PCMCIA cards, and cannot use the concatenated address bus slot setup on the CF card converter.

The best one out there - Semson's.

http://www.semsons.com/comflastopcc.html

Minime00
01-02-2003, 03:48 AM
So this would definately be the cheaper way to go? :idea:

sgyee
01-02-2003, 04:10 AM
What PC Card will you want to use ?

Minime00
01-02-2003, 05:01 AM
I could get a compactflash pc card couldnt I? How do hard drives plug in?

Pony99CA
01-02-2003, 06:20 AM
I could get a compactflash pc card couldnt I? How do hard drives plug in?
I'm not even sure what a "CompactFlash PC card" is. And what hard drives are you talking about -- there are Compact Flash ones, like the IBM MicroDrives, and PC Card ones, like Toshiba's.

Have you considered getting the dual PCMCIA sleeve? It's more expensive, and probably larger, but you won't have to worry about what works -- with the right adapter, you can work with almost everything.

Steve

eustts
01-02-2003, 06:32 AM
www.atechflash.com

The PROIII model reads all memory cards... :D

JonnoB
01-02-2003, 06:34 AM
Have you considered getting the dual PCMCIA sleeve? It's more expensive, and probably larger, but you won't have to worry about what works -- with the right adapter, you can work with almost everything.

Steve

This assumes he has an iPaq. If the device just has a CF slot, a CF to PC slot converter will work with many devices. I have one of these and it works well on many cards, but I find it cumbersome as it is definately a kludge. I would recomment that best efforts be made to find a CF version of the device being attempted to be used.

Pony99CA
01-02-2003, 08:02 AM

This assumes he has an iPaq.

Considering he started this thread in the "HP iPAQ Pocket PCs" area, I feel my assumption of his having an iPAQ is safe. Further, it's likely not a 1910, as he mentioned a "dual Compact Flash expansion pack", which only exists for sleeve-capable iPAQs as far as I know.

Your comment does bring up a good issue, though. People should say what Pocket PC they have, even when they post in a manufacturer-specific area. First, most manufacturers have different models, and knowing which model someone has can often help. Second, not everybody gets to a post by going through the main forum page, so they may not notice what Pocket PC is being implicitly discussed; I got to this through the Last Ten Posts section on the home page, but have learned to check the topic. :-)

If only there were a FAQ section for these types of tips....

Steve

JonnoB
01-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Considering he started this thread in the "HP iPAQ Pocket PCs" area, I feel my assumption of his having an iPAQ is safe.

I have learned not to assume those things. Many devices have sleds now (HP 568, e740, e550g, etc)... and although you can check the forum the discussion is taking place in, I have found that new users sometimes refer to all Pocket PC devices as 'iPaq' devices. Anyway, there are CF to PC card adaptors and appear to work well for some people. Personal opinion: blech :pukeface:

ECOslin
01-02-2003, 12:45 PM
What about just getting a USB reader and using it between your desktop and notebooks? I had a CF PCMCIA card, felt I wasn't getting enough mileage out of it, sold it and have been using my USB reader, when I need to.

Minime00
01-02-2003, 05:51 PM
So why wouldnt I go for the Dual CF card expansion? It's cheaper, easier to get, and if Im not mistaken, less bulky.

I have a 3835.

I want to use the sleeve to play games, watch movies, listen to music, in the near future, access the internet, etc.........

Which sleeve would be the best for me to get?

Pony99CA
01-03-2003, 08:37 AM
So why wouldnt I go for the Dual CF card expansion? It's cheaper, easier to get, and if Im not mistaken, less bulky.

If all the cards you want to use are CF cards, get the dual CF card sleeve. However, as you were wondering about plugging a PCMCIA card into a CF slot, it sounds like you had a PCMCIA card you wanted to use.

If you can't find a CF equivalent, I'd recommend getting the dual PCMCIA sleeve. Two other users pointed out problems with using an adapter to put a PCMCIA card in a CF slot.

Also, if you already have a PCMCIA card, getting the dual PCMCIA sleeve might be cheaper than the dual CF sleeve and a new CF card, too.

Which dual CF sleeve were you considering?

Steve