View Full Version : Windows Media Player

matadams
01-02-2003, 01:05 AM
I have not been able to use Windows Media Player with my Axim. If I attempt to play wma's that were copied to the compact flash, through a reader, I get an 'illegal operation' . . .that red stop sign / X that says no license can be found (it requires a soft reset to get rid of this), but if I try to copy them from my desktop's Windows Media Player to copy the license to the device, I ALWAYS get an error that the 'path could not be found'. It 'reads' my Axim and the flashcard, but will not copy files. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thank you, Ed and Roosterman. I recopied the music with personal rights management disabled, and it worked. :) I now have WMP happily running on my Axim. I would have never figured that out myself. I just don't know enough. Thank you for your assistance.

Roosterman
01-02-2003, 03:06 AM
When you rip the music using WMP you will need to turn off copy protection. If not you can not play the music on anyother device. Go to Tools/Options/Copy Music. Under Copy settings uncheck Protect content.

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:07 AM
I have not been able to use Windows Media Player with my Axim. If I attempt to play wma's that were copied to the compact flash, through a reader, I get an 'illegal operation' . . .that red stop sign / X that says no license can be found (it requires a soft reset to get rid of this), but if I try to copy them from my desktop's Windows Media Player to copy the license to the device, I ALWAYS get an error that the 'path could not be found'. It 'reads' my Axim and the flashcard, but will not copy files. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Unless you need your WMAs licensed, I'd rerip them without licensing. That is the first thing I do in WMP when I upgrade or reinstall Windows, turn off digital rights.

Ok, that said, I think you need to copy the WMAs to the card with WMP. Stick the card in the reader, launch WMP, select "Copy to mobile device" and it should also copy over the license file. I have noticed some cards aren't recognized by WMP as a mobile device. if that is the case, you'll have to put the CF in the Axim and then use WMP Copy to mobile device again.

victore
01-02-2003, 04:33 AM
roosterman,

what if you're using wmp 9? i checked it no my xp machine, and i don't have the check box to protect music.

Roosterman
01-02-2003, 04:43 AM
roosterman,

what if you're using wmp 9? i checked it no my xp machine, and i don't have the check box to protect music.
Not sure, I am running XP also but the version is 8. I wonder if MS has removed the ability to unprotect to cover there hinie's?

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 05:05 AM
Not sure, I am running XP also but the version is 8. I wonder if MS has removed the ability to unprotect to cover there hinie's?
Tools|Options|Copy Music, then uncheck Protect Content. This is on WMP 8 in XP. Not sure about 9.

Jonathan1
01-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Yep its there Ed. MS just renamed it to Copy Protect Music.

*puts on his encyclopedia salesman hat* Can I interest you in a fine copy of WinAmp 3! It’s free! And now supports video! :)

ultimate_ed
01-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Do they have a PPC version? That would rock.

Jonathan1
01-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Nope the closest UR going to get is a product called WithMP3. Its a Winamp GUI rip-off but hey *shrugs* If Winamp isn't going to step up to the plate someone should.

http://www.citsoft.net/images/withMP3.gif
http://www.citsoft.net/product.asp

Its 15 bucks but IMHO its one of the best MP3 players out there.