View Full Version : Support, Axim Drivers and ActiveSync

esieracki
01-01-2003, 07:51 PM
I have been trying to install my AXIM on my home machine for the past 4 hours without the Dell CD. Being a little too proud, I was trying to find drivers and software myself. ActiveSync 3.6 obviously came from Microsoft. I couldn't, however, find drivers for the Axim anywhere. After a little while, I e-mailed Dell. The response that I got back said to call an 800 number. I called, got put on hold, and talked to someone who didn't speak any English. After 5 frustrating minutes with him, he decided that I needed to be in a different phone queue. Fine. Then I talked to some guy named Kevin. I explained that activesync was installed, and that I needed a driver for the Axim to connect.

Kevin told me "There are no drivers for the Axim. Your machine must have a USB driver problem. Download the USB 2.0 drivers from Microsoft."

I replied "I don't have USB 2.0. It's not the motherboard, I built the machine myself and everything else works fine."

Kevin - "Oh?!?! You built the machine yourself? I can't support that!"

Me - "I'm not trying to get you to support the machine. It doesn't need support. Windows XP needs a driver to recognize the Axim."

Kevin - "Well then it's a Microsoft problem. Is the activesync software installed correctly?"

Me - "Yes" Kevin - "Can you use the PDA?"

Me - "Yes"

Kevin - "Then there is nothing that I can do. I can't support Windows or your homemade machine."

Me - "Are you kidding? There has to be a driver for this"

Kevin - "No, there isn't, and I can't help any more."

Me - "More?"

Kevin - "Thank you for calling Dell, and have a nice evening."

Me - "Sure."

I further investigated the Driver folder under Activesync. I noticed that the INF file did not have any reference to Dell (duhh!!). So I went scouring again. There is nothing under "Handheld" on ftp.dell.com . Nice.

After a little more time I found this link:

http://www.davespda.com/resources/delldrivers.htm

Now everything is fine.

For some reason, I would have thought that the Level 1 guys would have at least some clue as to how things are supposed to work. It's really rather sad. Maybe Dell should have spun some more people up in the Pre-Christmas rush to get these things out.

Moral of the story:

Read the message boards a little more closely before calling for support on a new product.

Don't trust Level 1 support. Ever.

mrtaz65
01-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Why not just load the damn thing from the CD?

Install 3.5 then upgrade it works fine, and you don't even have to bitch about tech support not helping. If you would follow the instructions and use the software they gave you, you wouldn't have to call tech support in the first place.

MrTaz
Axim owner who used the software off the cd and hasn't had a problem.

Sven Johannsen
01-01-2003, 08:56 PM
I have to agree with mrtaz65. Read the instructions, do what it says. Then if it doesn't work, call tech support and gripe if they can't help.

The fact that the 3.6 download of AS on the MS site is lacking in many drivers, not just the Dell, has been oft reported. It has even been explained that if you load 3.6 off the MS site, then cradle your PPC (Dell or otherwise) and point it to the OEM CD when it asks for drivers, that works too.

The best option is install the drivers that came with the device, of any sort, and make sure it works. Then go to the manufacturers site to see if there are any updates, and finally other places for addtional software.

On the other hand, the initial tech support assertion that it does not need a driver was an indication of unforgivable lack of knowledge. Every USB device needs a driver. Some are already in the OS, some are supplied by the OEM. That comment would have prompted me to ask for escalation right then.

Roosterman
01-01-2003, 10:24 PM
See what pride will get ya!

Rirath
01-01-2003, 11:03 PM
This whole pride = not reading the instructions thing died out several years ago. Even then it was only non techies. Fact is, for the last couple decades and especially if you're a system builder, if you don't read and keep every manual you're screwed. Short of having it in PDF format, how else are you going to remember jumper sittings a year later?

That said, the phone conversation was pretty funny. I can picture myself saying the exact same things. I totally agree... the world famous tech support is totally bogus. These guys are clueless.

esieracki
01-02-2003, 07:16 PM
My CD got "Puppied". My brother-in-law's new Bichon Frise got to it. I used the CD on my laptop without issue. The pride involved was not calling tech support before I had done some poking around on my own.

I agree that the directions are the way to go.

E.J.

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2003, 10:05 PM
My apologies then, on my assumption that you were a, "manual, we don' need no stinkin' manual" type.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Rirath that the conversation was funny though. Sad comes to mind for me. On the plus side, comments like 'you don't need drivers' and 'it doesn't have USB, you need a cable for that', make me less concerned about statements like 'we are not going to do any upgrades.' Sort of like worrying about the weather, based on what the forcasters are saying ;)

I must say that my experience with Dell tech support has always been very good for a multitude of other Dell products. From the general nature of the posts, at this point, the customer service on the AXIM is quite good, while the Tech Support still needs a bit of ...well, seasoning.