View Full Version : Using an iPAQ 3970 as an asynch terminal

jimb
01-01-2003, 07:18 PM
I have just got an iPAQ 3970, and am very pleased with it. Just one thing I don't know, and wonder if any of you out there can help:

As a network engineer, I often have to log into Cisco routers, using their asynch port. At present, I have to carry my laptop to where ever the router is, wait for it to boot, etc, etc. I would like to use my iPAQ as a VT100 emulator, with an RS232 interface. I appreciate I will need some additional hardware, but I'm not sure what is the simplest way to do this. Also, I am not sure if I can use the onboard software to drive the link.

Has anybody done this, or has anybody got advice for me. This PC weighs more each time, and it would be real nice to use the iPAQ......

TIA
Jimbo

Bob Anderson
01-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Well, obviously you'll need some type of cable...

I use the following part from HP/Compaq:
RS-232 Serial Cable
236251-B21

But they list this as only compatible with up to the 37xx models, however, I thought I read somewhere that there is an adapter that let's you use these "older" peripherials with the newer 39xx models.

I've heard from other users that they use the sync cable with the serial end, attach a "null modem" adapter and that this achieves the same thing... albeit with a bit more clunky of a cable to carry around.

As for the software you'd need... well, I'll defer on that subject.

irishjd
07-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Any luck on the software end? I've been looking for a freeware VT100 emulator (my company won't purchase one :cry: ) for several months now. There appear to be several commercial procucts around, but nothing under freeware.

Jon