View Full Version : New Years Day Event

Lotto
01-01-2003, 06:30 PM
I just want to say that I think this is fantastic to do for your readers. This surely involved lots of work from the whole team. Time on your holiday, and it's greatly appreciated, whether we win or not, it's great fun.

Outside of the speed issues, I want to thank you for doing several drawings that pull from all the registered users. I think this is extremely thoughtful way to include everyone.

Thanks guys, you are a great team. I knew there were more reasons I hung out here daily, other than my glutton for news. :wink:

Rirath
01-01-2003, 06:33 PM
I am glad to see a lot of all user pulls, and all who post pulls. Makes it much more fun than every single thread being "first 3 posters" and such.

I still hope for more like the parody contest some day. ;) Logo designs, small program writing, creative linking to PPC Thoughts / creative advertising of PPC Thoughts... there's tons of good skill based contests to be had some day that could really spice things up.

I remember the Internet Link Exchange (one of the early, and best, banner exchange programs when that sort of thing was new enough to work) had a banner design and creative advertisement contest like every week or so. It was a ton of fun, and everyone who participated got like 100 free credits or something.

Theo
01-01-2003, 06:54 PM
What a great way to start the New Year.

Many thanks for all the efforts over the past year.

Theo

Andy Dixon
01-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Absolutely. It's been brilliant fun checking back every hour to see what the latest contest is. Big pat on the back and round of applause to the PPC Thoughts team for their hard work and effort in this.

Well done!

Jason Dunn
01-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I'm thrilled to see that so many people are enjoying themselves - we're having fun too! I just wish people would all play fair.

Here's some good news - the contests keep growing. One vendor is donating 50 (!!) copies each of two of his apps, so this is now a $5000 giveaway contest. :D :D

blazingwolf
01-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Really appreciate all that you guys are doing today. Now if I can learn how to refresh faster on a dialup i'll be golden. :)

Janak Parekh
01-01-2003, 07:17 PM
I still hope for more like the parody contest some day. ;) Logo designs, small program writing, creative linking to PPC Thoughts / creative advertising of PPC Thoughts... there's tons of good skill based contests to be had some day that could really spice things up.
By all means, if you think you have a good idea, submit it as news. We're all trying to make this site a better, more interactive, and fun place for everyone. :D

BTW, this whole thing was Jason's idea. The man is simply brilliant. :werenotworthy:

--janak

Green Dragon
01-01-2003, 07:36 PM
Agree it's a fantastic idea. I only found the site & joined a few days ago (guess what I got for xmas!). So do you do this every week? :D

BTW Ed Hansberry - cough, 17 rings, cough...

Oreocat
01-01-2003, 07:49 PM
You guys are Awesome! This is really fun, I'm getting a heck of a kick out of checking to see what the new offering is :)

This is a great way to start off the year! Thank you so much for doing this, you're making a lot of people really happy.

Oreocat

PS> Any chance you'll start a thread for contest ideas? (and there's a contest in itself-best contest idea.....)

Rirath
01-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Will we know all the winners by tonight or tomorrow?

Video11
01-01-2003, 10:51 PM
I just want to say that I think this is fantastic to do for your readers. This surely involved lots of work from the whole team. Time on your holiday, and it's greatly appreciated, whether we win or not, it's great fun.

Outside of the speed issues, I want to thank you for doing several drawings that pull from all the registered users. I think this is extremely thoughtful way to include everyone.

Thanks guys, you are a great team. I knew there were more reasons I hung out here daily, other than my glutton for news. :wink:

Ditto. These contests have actually got me out of my lurking mode. Now that I've got my post count up a bit maybe I'll stay delurked.

Cheers and thanks.

Rirath
01-01-2003, 10:52 PM
And if nothing else we've all upped our post counts dramatically. :D

cyclwestks
01-01-2003, 10:58 PM
This is the most coolest give-away I've ever heard of, & while I visit almost everyday, I had never registered before today. Thanks for the fun, my family was laughing at me for staying up last nite for the first post. Maybe I'll win something so I can show them up. Either way, it's been fun!! Maybe Dell or HP, should take a hint.

Ed Hansberry
01-01-2003, 11:15 PM

That is my plan for my contests. Most are Brad's though. I am sure he'll burn through it all by this weekend getting winners in touch with the awesome contributors of software by Monday.

BTW Ed Hansberry - cough, 17 rings, cough...

Well, it is really 1, or an undetermined amount. How do you get 17?

Jason Dunn
01-01-2003, 11:16 PM

Probably not until tomorrow or the day after - we have a LOT of work to do. 8O :lol:

Andy Dixon
01-01-2003, 11:21 PM
hmmm I'm out the country as of saturday. What happens if I win something (I hope!)? I won't be able to respond till the 11th/12th when I get back

DrtyBlvd
01-01-2003, 11:36 PM
delurked.

:lol: ROFL

DrtyBlvd
01-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Jason

I must echo peoples sentiments - what an absolutely Grade 'A' way of demonstrating your site to be the very pinnacle of worthiness - thank you for all your efforts over the past year, and here's to a great 2003 for PPCT.

Best Wishes & thanks to all the team for their individual efforts, especially in bringing todays events to fruition!

Green Dragon
01-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Well, it is really 1, or an undetermined amount. How do you get 17?

It's a bit off topic now and isn't really *that* important, but since you ask... :D

According to the Silmarillion, the FAQs (http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm#Who) and the Encyclopedia of Arda (http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/r/ringsofpower.html):

Sauron & elves *together* made 16 rings (later to become the 9 for men and 7 for dwarves). Sauron was there over serveral decades, with his bumper book of How To Make Real Good Rings. A few dozen years worth of effort is clearly non-trivial input on his part.

But Sauron & the elves both had different plans, so each also made some by themselves in secret. Celebrimbor of the elves making 3, and Sauron making The Big One.

Tolkien was quite clear the 3 pure elvish ones (Narya, Nenya and Vilya) were the only one's Mr Dark Lord Himself had no part in making.

So thats 16+1=17.

But no! it's OK. I'll manage without a copy of Fitaly. No really, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I'll just let my poor orphan kids go without for a couple of day to pay for it. And here's me unable to use Transcriber on account of having no thumbs.

Janak Parekh
01-01-2003, 11:57 PM
hmmm I'm out the country as of saturday. What happens if I win something (I hope!)? I won't be able to respond till the 11th/12th when I get back
Don't worry, the winners get email. :)

--janak

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Don't worry, the winners get email. :)

--janak
Yup. Everyone needs to make sure their emails they have given us are valid, otherwise, you might miss out.

dznylvr
01-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Stupid question time--- Can you win more than once? :onfire:

Rirath
01-02-2003, 01:43 AM
I hope so... it's only fair if you've got the luck, dedication, and the right answer. Besides, it'd make chosing winners awful hard if each winner had to be checked for past winnings and then rechosen and rechecked.

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 01:56 AM
Stupid question time--- Can you win more than once?
Not a stupid question, we never clarified. Yes, you can win as many times as you.. uhm... win!

Rirath
01-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Yay. ^_^

Reinaldo
01-02-2003, 02:34 AM
There hasn't been a prize for an hour? Was that it? Because if it was, then I can relax and stop refreshing the page by the second. I was just wondering?

Update: Never mind. They just announced a new contest.

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 02:44 AM
There hasn't been a prize for an hour? Was that it? Because if it was, then I can relax and stop refreshing the page by the second. I was just wondering?

Update: Never mind. They just announced a new contest.

We said all day. We meant all day. Still about 4 hours to go. :)

Rirath
01-02-2003, 02:46 AM
We said all day. We meant all day. Still about 4 hours to go.

You sound like you took that personally. :lol: :wink: We know you guys rock, honest! :D

*Wayne's World style* -- "We're Not Worthy!"

Ya know, I find it interesting this site is probably getting absolutely hammered all day... yet the forums are nearly empty and are otherwise filled. Guess people would rather hit F5 than chat while waiting. :twisted:

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I'll give you a small hint: you can relax for a few minutes ;) The posting speed throughout the day is erratic; the 2nd half was more erratic as people started realizing the timings. I can say that the peak has passed, but there are still some great giveouts left...

I'll post some time after it's all over, so you can actually sleep. Remember that the server is on MST, so that should give you a clue as to the "end time". :)

--janak

Rirath
01-02-2003, 02:51 AM
I'm gonna feel pretty dang bad if you guys aren't getting to keep at least a copy here and there of all this free stuff you're handing out today.

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 02:56 AM
I'm gonna feel pretty dang bad if you guys aren't getting to keep at least a copy here and there of all this free stuff you're handing out today.
Well, you guys are getting more (for example, the remote control units). I briefly wondered if I should have become a Thoughts admin after today. But being an admin has its own benefits. ;)

Rirath, have you been up all night and all day, BTW?

--janak

Reinaldo
01-02-2003, 02:58 AM
I guess I get to be here until tommorrow. This is the second consecutive day that I am here 24/7. I don't believe it. This rocks! But by all day you were kidding right? :lol: Just wondering? Oh and by the way, I have a question: Do you have the winners for Pocket Plus? Because I have my eye on that contest. Thank you.
This site rules!

Rirath
01-02-2003, 03:00 AM
I had planned on it, but after the server crash at 1am CST yesterday I gave up and got some sleep. I figured it'd be better off to be well rested today for whatever comes. Good thing too... most the contests while I was asleep wasn't for the first few posters only so I made it into the drawings on most of em at least.

This has certainly been the best New Year's Day I've ever had.

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 03:02 AM
I guess I get to be here until tommorrow. This is the second consecutive day that I am here 24/7. I don't believe it. This rocks! But by all day you were kidding right? :lol: Just wondering? Oh and by the way, I have a question: Do you have the winners for Pocket Plus? Because I have my eye on that contest. Thank you.
This site rules!
By all day, I mean all day January 1, MST time. Not January 2, so you'll get sleep soon ;)

Re Pocket Plus, not yet -- I think Brad will be working on this stuff starting tomorrow or Friday. We'll announce the results as soon as we have them, but for the random selections it's a lot more work to filter out candidate winners and then to actually do the draw.

--janak

Reinaldo
01-02-2003, 03:03 AM
I mean at least I had something to do from 12:00 to, well now, which was to come here. I kinda stopped at the morning because of the crahes. However, I missed some cool stuff and got late for what I really wanted, which was Pocket Plus. But the rest of the prizes rock! No website that I know has done this before. At least no PPC website. :lol: Keep it up you guys, I know it must be tough for you working so hard for 24 hours.

Rirath
01-02-2003, 03:14 AM
Well hey, at least you'll have possibly the only thing for tomorrow/friday that could possibly top today... the prizes. :lol:

version21
01-02-2003, 03:19 AM
forgive me for being ignorant, but how is this working? are prizes awarded at random based on time of post?

BTW: great prizes are being given away...now if i understood the winning process

Ed Hansberry
01-02-2003, 03:20 AM
forgive me for being ignorant, but how is this working? are prizes awarded at random based on time of post?

BTW: great prizes are being given away...now if i understood the winning process

They are all different. Some are already over - trivia questions and whatnot. Others will be randomly picked from people that post to the thread, others just randomly picked from our user databse. See the "how do I win" line on each contest.