View Full Version : I want a Toshiba e740NW. Should I do it?

looneytoone
01-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Ok, here is the deal. Though I love my HP 548, I am ready to move up. I have my eyes on a Toshiba e740NW for 399.99 from cosco. I have found that NW means no wireless (thanks to these forums and not Costco customer service). I need someone to convince me that I either need or don't need integrated wireless Bluetooth and WLAN capabilities. I do not have wireless devices at home and (am not 100% sure) but perceive it to be expensive. I do not work in an environment that is wireless. I would love to walk around the house wirelessly hooked to the net though.

Help break the tie! Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

mscdex
01-01-2003, 04:34 PM
If you decide on buying a device with integrated wifi/bluetooth, then I say wait a month or less, because there are new Axim models coming out that have integrated wifi, and integrated bluetooth. I believe they are called the Axim X3 and Axim X7. And seeing how well Dell has sold their magnificent, current Axim pocketpc at such a low price, Dell may continue this trend with the other models. So, keep a look out, it may be worth the wait.

GadgetDave
01-01-2003, 04:55 PM
If you really don't need it, great, go for it.

But you're perception of WiFi being expensive is wrong - you should be able to get a WiFi access point and set it up for under $100 now, without any problems. Assuming you have broadband access at home, and do a little due dilligance about securing it, you'll have a great experience! :)

And you should be able to find an e740 with wireless for not too much more if you keep your eyes open on sales ... or wait for the rumored e750 ...

Kevin C. Tofel
01-01-2003, 05:04 PM
If you like the device and don't think you need wireless now, I say go for it. Wireless is relatively inexpensive to add via a CF card (which the Toshiba has a slot for). I recently picked up a WiFi broadband router for under $100 and also a CF WiFi card for $69 at local stores. You always have the option of getting these later.
If you haven't already, I would consider the new Dell Axim....you get the same (if not better) specs for less $$$.

Good luck!

looneytoone
01-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Kevin (or anyone else):
How would you compare the Dell vs. e740 if the e740NW was at 299? I just found a manufacturers rebate that would lower that costco price! Your thoughts?

Kati Compton
01-01-2003, 05:27 PM
The only reason I can think of to want the NW over a Dell Axim (which has a better screen, also dual slots), is a slightly better Nav pad, plus the USB-hosting. So if you want to use a USB keyboard or hook the PDA up to a monitor with that $99 add-on or whatever, get the 740. But if you know you don't want integrated wireless and the above doesn't matter to you either, I'd suggest the Axim for the better screen, more memory for the price, etc.

GadgetDave
01-01-2003, 05:42 PM
The only reason I can think of to want the NW over a Dell Axim (which has a better screen, also dual slots), is a slightly better Nav pad, plus the USB-hosting. So if you want to use a USB keyboard or hook the PDA up to a monitor with that $99 add-on or whatever, get the 740. But if you know you don't want integrated wireless and the above doesn't matter to you either, I'd suggest the Axim for the better screen, more memory for the price, etc.

As an e740 owner, agreed. I like having a keyboard, but I'd love that screen ...

Kevin C. Tofel
01-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Kevin (or anyone else):
How would you compare the Dell vs. e740 if the e740NW was at 299? I just found a manufacturers rebate that would lower that costco price! Your thoughts?

I'll be honest, I haven't spent much time at all with the e740....but I'll give you my take:

There are very few technical differences between the two (and some of them have already been pointed out). One semi-considerable one is that the Toshiba has 32 Mg of ROM and the Dell has 48. Normally, this would be irrelavant except that the Dell's ROM memory is not all used by the OS, leaving 21.24 Mg of additional onboard storage. Because it's Flash ROM, it's ideal for storing any data that you wouldn't want to lose in the event of a power loss or hard reset.

An additional comparison should be made on the size of the two devices....the Toshiba is noticably thinner. If that's more important than the minor technical differences, I'd go with the Toshiba at the same price as the Dell. It all comes down to personal preference because you will likely use this device every day....you need to be comfortable with the size and shape.

One last note regarding the rebate: if this is a manufacturer rebate from Toshiba, be sure to check the rebate form for the part number of the device. I also looked into the e740NW from Costo and a Toshiba rebate, but the part number of the device differs by ONE character from the part number on the rebate form I was planning to use. Make sure the rebate is good on the device model you're considering......

Hope this helps!
:wink:

TopDog
01-02-2003, 03:54 PM
I wonder if anyone has tried both the iPAQ 3850/35 and the e740?

My case:

Today I have a 3850 with a CF-jacket. Using Audiovox GPRS CF-card "on the road" and a AmbiCom WLAN at home and at the office.

I hate the dark screen and not being able to use cleartype on my 3850. I would like the e740 because it's thin and I don't have to carry around to CF-cards, but I'm conserned about batterylife... how is the battery on e740 against the 3850 (without WLAN turned on)?

mscdex
01-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Another thing about the ROM size, is Toshiba has 32mb, and the Dell has 48mb. The trend seems that most new Xscale devices are having 48mb ROMs. This could mean that newer versions of the OS (perhaps CE.NET?) will take up more space. It makes you wonder if 32mb will be enough vs. 48mb, to be able to install the newer OS's. :?

bigkingfun
01-05-2003, 07:33 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried both the iPAQ 3850/35 and the e740?

I upgraded from the 3850 to the e740 for the same reasons you've mentioned - it's thin (no sleeve necessary) and it's got the wifi built in. With the wifi turned off, I would say the battery life is pretty similar between the two. I've never run either one of them right down and I never formally tested them, but my seat of the pants feeling is that they are about the same. My average day is about 1 hour of media playback with the wifi off and probably up to an hour of actual use with wifi on, and it's never gone below 40% for me on the e740.

I didn't find the CF sleeve on the iPAQ to be that bulky, but it's still a significant difference in size when compared to the e740. The integrated wifi signal is not quite as strong as the signal I had on the iPAQ with a CF card (Linksys, which I don't think is the strongest itself). It's still strong enough to work anywhere in my house and in my office, which can get up to probably 250-300 feet from the access point.