View Full Version : Problems with PIE

dean_shan
01-01-2003, 11:37 AM
I am using a Toshiba e740 and after installing certian Microsoft software (Pocket Streets, Gamepacks) PIE will not load any pages. I will click on a link it will not load the pages. It will just make the "click" sound and will stay in that page. Also, it will not load pages if type in the address it will just sit there doing nothing. What's the point of a wireless handheld it you can't view webpages. :x The only fix i have is to hard reset my PPC and start over and install a my programs again with out the microsoft program that made the problem. Why is this happening? And how can I fix it without hard reseting.

Pony99CA
01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
I am using a Toshiba e740 and after installing certian Microsoft software (Pocket Streets, Gamepacks) PIE will not load any pages. I will click on a link it will not load the pages. It will just make the "click" sound and will stay in that page. Also, it will not load pages if type in the address it will just sit there doing nothing. What's the point of a wireless handheld it you can't view webpages. :x The only fix i have is to hard reset my PPC and start over and install a my programs again with out the microsoft program that made the problem. Why is this happening? And how can I fix it without hard reseting.
Did you delete any of these files in your root (My Device) directory: CMMapG, CMMapP or GCounterFile.mmf?

If so, go into File Explorer, navigate to the Windows directory, then run the Welcome program (probably the first Welcome file there). It can't hurt to try even if you don't think you deleted those files -- it just runs you through the Pocket PC start-up procedure again.

Steve

JvanEkris
01-01-2003, 01:29 PM
Steve,

What's the use of these files anyway. I killed them, and they appeared again, and i hate a messy root-folder. Do they have any use (besides anoying me :)) ? I also have mdmlog.txt files appearing, which contain modemlogs. Is there any way of prohibiting the OS of creating them as well (registry-hack perhaps).

Jaap

Pony99CA
01-01-2003, 02:11 PM
What's the use of these files anyway. I killed them, and they appeared again, and i hate a messy root-folder. Do they have any use (besides anoying me :)) ? I also have mdmlog.txt files appearing, which contain modemlogs. Is there any way of prohibiting the OS of creating them as well (registry-hack perhaps).

Geez, I don't work for Microsoft. :-) I have no idea what those files are for, but they seem to be necessary. When I deleted them, Internet Explorer stopped working.

The mdmlog.txt file seems to be some kind of log file, which can be disposed of safely, I think (meaning that I have deleted it and nothing bad happend :-)).

As I've mentioned a couple of times before in different threads, I don't know why Microsoft didn't put these files in the Windows directory. I would suggest that you live with them and not try to stop them from being created, especially the three that I mentioned in my first post.

Steve

JvanEkris
01-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Perhaps you were a developper. Developpers sometimes have a better idea of how Microsft systems word than microsoft does :)

Thanks anyway. I normally first move things to "temp" before deleting them. Saves me a lot of hard-resets.

Jaap

Pony99CA
01-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Perhaps you were a developper. Developpers sometimes have a better idea of how Microsft systems word than microsoft does :)

Well, I'm am a software developer, but not on Windows CE/Pocket PC (yet?). :-)

Thanks anyway. I normally first move things to "temp" before deleting them. Saves me a lot of hard-resets.

That's an excellent strategy, especially as there's no Recycle Bin on the Pocket PC (there was on my Windows CE 2.0 Handheld PC).

Steve