View Full Version : Yet another 54xx bug

RX-78
01-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Hello all --

I just traded my Toshiba e550G Genio in for a HP iPaq 5455 (I got sick of no product support from Toshiba/Audiovox). This is my third iPaq (I've had a 37xx machine and a 3835) -- however, when I access iTask, there's no menu when I tap and hold, just gibberish, and the other menus attached to iTask don't work as well.

Anyone encounter any similar problems?

BGinWA
01-01-2003, 12:48 PM
I have a 5455 and have no problems with itask, you might want to call support

dnacpil
01-06-2003, 05:00 AM
The iTASK issue happened to me also. I had to do a hard reset and it took care of it.

My newest concern regarding the H5455 is when you go to the Temp folder, there I notice a PIMAgent log in text file form. The log shows "INFO: PIMAgent Started DD/MM/YYYY 00:00:00 INFO: Not starting after reset as OnStarup is not set in the registry". Now, I don't know what this means but everything else is working fine. I hope this log is for something else that's not really important. Has anyone seen or read this log before? Does anyone know what this is all about?

Another thing I notice is that I've had to soft reset my H5455 more often than my previous iPAQs. I don't know if it's because I installed most of my 3rd party apps in the "iPAQ File Store" which I also notice it's quite slow when running them from there. Does anyone have any comments regarding this?

jt3
01-06-2003, 03:16 PM
I have also had to Soft Reset more often than previous iPAQs (I've previously owned 3765, 3835 and 3870 models.) Unlike you, I haven't installed anything in "fancy" locations such as the filestore or SD card. I have map data for my GPS sleeve (NavMan) on my SD card, along with the dictionary for my Handmark Scrabble game, and, of course, a full backup, but pretty much everything else is in RAM.

I've also had two instances where the machine locked up completely, causing me to do a Hard Reset (hence, I always keep a full backup on the SD card), something I NEVER had to do with previous models.

I've also noticed that most of my programs seem to run slower than on my 3870 (the iPAQ I sold to get the 5455); they certainly LOAD slower, so I don't think the fact that you have programs installed on filestore is the WHOLE reason you're running slow. I just hope HP comes out with a patch to fix all these problems SOON!!!

dnacpil
01-07-2003, 04:11 AM
I have also had to Soft Reset more often than previous iPAQs (I've previously owned 3765, 3835 and 3870 models.) Unlike you, I haven't installed anything in "fancy" locations such as the filestore or SD card. I have map data for my GPS sleeve (NavMan) on my SD card, along with the dictionary for my Handmark Scrabble game, and, of course, a full backup, but pretty much everything else is in RAM.

I've also had two instances where the machine locked up completely, causing me to do a Hard Reset (hence, I always keep a full backup on the SD card), something I NEVER had to do with previous models.

I've also noticed that most of my programs seem to run slower than on my 3870 (the iPAQ I sold to get the 5455); they certainly LOAD slower, so I don't think the fact that you have programs installed on filestore is the WHOLE reason you're running slow. I just hope HP comes out with a patch to fix all these problems SOON!!!

Then I conclude my 5455 runs slow not because I installed my 3rd party apps in the iPAQ FileStore. The reason I chose to install them there was because in case I had to do another Hard Reset again then I wouldn't have to re-install my additional apps back in again and I'd find it to be quicker to re-install just my data. I too have a full back up in my CF card and my reason for that is in case HP had to replace my unit then I could just restore my full stuff from it. Having a 20mb free space in the iPAQ File Store is a great idea. However, I don't know if I'm the only one using it to install apps/programs and not use it for full back up. I just think having a full back up in the File Store would be useless if my 5455 breaks down (like it won't turn on). In addition to my CF Card with full back up I also have a full back up in my PC.

If only the 5455 would work smoothly then I would be confident enough to have a full back up in the File Store.

dhettel
01-09-2003, 08:44 PM
The iTASK issue happened to me also. I had to do a hard reset and it took care of it.

My newest concern regarding the H5455 is when you go to the Temp folder, there I notice a PIMAgent log in text file form. The log shows "INFO: PIMAgent Started DD/MM/YYYY 00:00:00 INFO: Not starting after reset as OnStarup is not set in the registry". Now, I don't know what this means but everything else is working fine. I hope this log is for something else that's not really important. Has anyone seen or read this log before? Does anyone know what this is all about?

Another thing I notice is that I've had to soft reset my H5455 more often than my previous iPAQs. I don't know if it's because I installed most of my 3rd party apps in the "iPAQ File Store" which I also notice it's quite slow when running them from there. Does anyone have any comments regarding this?

The first is just telling you that your PIM information is not being backup. I haven't had to reset my 5455 at all so far.

David Hettel

slinger
01-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Picked up my 5455 2 weeks back, just have issues with low volume and the battery. Seems to evaporate a charge sometimes. In one case the battery wouldn't charge using the USB charge setting. HP promised a battery this week but still haven't seen it (4 days late). Love the unit otherwise.

squeeze
01-12-2003, 06:41 PM
The reason I chose to install them there was because in case I had to do another Hard Reset again then I wouldn't have to re-install my additional apps back in again and I'd find it to be quicker to re-install just my data.

Have you actually tried to do this? I've tested it myself and eventually had to do the install again.

I have the following in FileStore: PocketInformant, eWallet, Resco Explorer and ListPro. I loaded them there with the same intentions as you, but no luck - this is what I experienced:

1) load apps to filestore
2) enjoy additional free ram
3) hard reset
4) apps still in FileStore (good thing)
5) look for apps in "Programs" - not found
6) look for apps in "Remove Programs" - not found
7) look for apps using File Explorer and launch - can't launch apps because it's doesn't think they are installed correctly - get errors
8 ) so I just load critical data there now and use MightySync to sync folders outside of My Documents

I may be doing something wrong - the usual, but others out there please let us know if the dream of loading to FileStore is what we think it is or is it something else.

wralf
01-13-2003, 12:35 AM
:snipersmile:
My 5455 is working great, I have a similar software selection as "squeeze" all installed in the FileStore, I havent notice any performace issues as related to being installed on my SD card( I tried this 1st). Just yesterday I install NYDITOT VIRTUAL DISPLAY which made the drivers for the fingerprint scanner unable to load(And access to my data impossible as I have the "fingerprint - ONLY" option enabled".

This is what happend:
1 - Hard Reset of course.
2 - Fingerprint was still enrolled
3 - Filestore installed applications were still there
4 - Links did not exist to apps, as with "squeeze"
5 - I restored from SD backup
6 - All apps and data were ok again. in about 5mins.

Only Resco File Explorer needed to have Registration Code re-entered

WyattEarp
01-14-2003, 01:10 AM
Althought I don't own the 5455 I do own the 3975. As for your PPC running slow it may be because apps need room to operate. The iPAQ File Store is only about 20MB (actual size depends on the model) and doesn't give apps much working space. Minus the size of the stored apps and you may be stiffling your PPC and apps.

I recently had my iPAQ upgraded to 128MB and have noticed a slight difference in operating speed when it comes to opening large files. I only keep the User Guides in .pdf format in the File Store which is probably what it's best for; just storing files.

As for the hard reset everything is deleted except for the File Store and built-in apps. All the program information is divided among various file folders in RAM like the Program Files folder for example. So all the shortcuts will be deleted along with any program information neccessary for it to run. So essentially the programs are no longer installed.