View Full Version : iPaq 5450, The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly!

dma1965
12-31-2002, 11:08 PM
I recently got a hold of an iPaq 5450 and want to point out the items that stick out the most in my experience with it.

The Good:

The screen is to die for. It is so crisp and bright it almost hurts my eyes. If there is one thing about the 5450 that sticks out, this is it.

The biometric scanner security system is implemented in a fantastic manner. It works beautifully, and, so far, has proven to be 100% reliable. The best thing about it is that you can also include a pin, or either a pin or scan, or passphrase and scan, and many other options as well. This is a great feature.

WiFi on this device is better than any other WiFi device I have ever used. I used to hold my Socket WLAN Compact Flash card at the top of the heap, but the built in WiFi in the 5450 is the most powerfull I have seen. I can get an excellent signal in my car in my office parking lot. Nothing else I have used can match it for range, and ease of use.

The Bad:

Well, it is just too friggin expensive.

Some software will just not work on the X-Scale processor that works great on pre-Xscale processors.

The external speaker in just too soft in volume for it to be used as an alarm, even at the highest setting.

I have owned almost every model of iPaq since the 3600 series, which had the absolute best sound quality of any of the iPaq since then (I am referring to stereo headphones). The quality of the sound has gotten progressively worse with every new model line, and the 5450 has the worst I have heard yet. It is too soft to crank good rock tunes at even the highest volume, and the treble sounds almost completely washed out, although the bass is fine. It is like listening to music in the next room with a subwoofer in the room. The bass sounds great, but the drums, rythym guitar, lead guitar, and voices sound like there is a wall between you and the music. I did a side by side with my 3870, and the difference is astounding.

The Ugly:

Now for the reasons why I must return this for a refund. The first reason is the horrible battery life. HP took a giant step backward on this one. Using the lowest standby setting (12 hours) and with the IR port turned off (Start/Settings/Connections/Beam and uncheck the box) I can get about 2 hours of use out of my iPaq before my first battery warning, and about 45 minutes if I use WiFi continuosly. But, this is not my biggest concern. HP has done a major boner with this latest iPaq. I use my iPaq on the road A LOT for about 8 hours per day, and with my 3870 I just carried my CF Expansion Pack Plus, which has a battery in it. The great thing about my 3870 is that it will use the expansion pack battery first, before it starts draining my built in battery. This is absolutely awesome, since the battery on my expansion pack is removable, and it packs quite a bit of punch. On the 5450, it is quite the opposite. It will use the device battery first, and what is even worse is if y! our expansion pack battery is low it will actually pull charge from the handheld to bring it back up. This is absolutely ridiculous, and unacceptable. It seems that they just did not think this through at all. In any event, it is lovely to look at, and lovely to hold, but must go.

Vexx
12-31-2002, 11:26 PM
This probably lends credance to the rumors that HP is halting shipments until the fix a "battery problem" in a week or so.

Nikhil
01-01-2003, 12:17 AM
Have you tried the 39xx series? Battery life is excellent (I easily get 6 hours of heavy use with the screen at 50% brightness playing music, videos, high-paced games, and Bluetooth), the sound quality is stellar (with Bass *and* Treble settings like the 3870-->speaker is very loud and clear like the 3870), screen is excellent (reportedly better than the 5450).

laser
01-01-2003, 06:37 AM
I recently had the opportunity to replace my 3955 with a 5450. I declined after reading many post on the 5450. I really need battery life. I cannot use Wi-Fi at work and will use bleutooth instead.

I have decided to buy a bluetooth card that goes easy on power and keep the 3955. It is bullet proof and has the same beautiful screen that the 5450 has.

I also like the way it works with the CF Plus sleve.

The battery on the 5450 was really the deal breaker. I also really didn't like the fact that if you opt for the extended battery you have to kiss your sleves good buy. This simply wouldn't do.

Pony99CA
01-01-2003, 12:29 PM
The battery on the 5450 was really the deal breaker. I also really didn't like the fact that if you opt for the extended battery you have to kiss your sleves good buy. This simply wouldn't do.

I hope you weren't surprised by this, though. If HP could have put more maH in the basic battery and made it compatible with sleeves, they would have. So I figured the extended battery would preclude using a sleeve.

It's not all that bad, though. With Bluetooth and WiFi built-in, if you have an SD card, you may not need a sleeve, so the extended battery may work. If you have a CF card that you can't live without, or a sleeve that you have to use (GPS for me), you'll have to use the regular battery. Even so, you can replace it if necessary.

Steve

igreen
01-02-2003, 08:55 AM
:confused totally: Hmmmm I've had a 5455 for about a month now and haven't experienced any of the battery issues you mention. I'm getting hours of use with WiFi enabled. Sounds like a bad batch are out there.

orlandolv
01-02-2003, 09:05 AM
my battery is good too, but it just seems to run a little slower than my 3670, huh.

Bob Anderson
01-02-2003, 03:27 PM
my battery is good too, but it just seems to run a little slower than my 3670, huh.

I suspect the "slowness" you notice when comparing it to the 3670 has to do with the fact that the O/S isn't optimized or written for the Xscale processor...

Never fear... IMHO it's just a matter of time before MS comes out with the new operating system that will most likely blow us all away AND take advantage of the 400 mhz Xscale.

igreen
01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
One thing that is disturbing is the "backup" battery behavior. In theory I should be able to switch out my battery with a fully charged one expecting the backup battery to keep the contents of memory "whole" for 30 minutes. In my case I turn off the unit, but removing the battery and reinstalling it performs a soft reset. So any application I had open and its associated unsaved data is now gone. Does anyone elses unit behave this way?

markl
01-02-2003, 11:12 PM
I suspect the "slowness" you notice when comparing it to the 3670 has to do with the fact that the O/S isn't optimized or written for the Xscale processor...

Never fear... IMHO it's just a matter of time before MS comes out with the new operating system that will most likely blow us all away AND take advantage of the 400 mhz Xscale.

Microsoft have said repeatedly that they are committed to a single code-base for Windows CE and will NOT optimise for specific processors.

There is also some indication that the poor performance of the X-Scale is also due to an inferior architecure.

In the case of the 5450, the new graphics chip (which WILL need to be optimised for) also plays a part in poor performance for some video applications.

Mark