View Full Version : First battery charge on Axim ...

grobin
12-31-2002, 05:58 PM
Yeah! My Axim was shipped yesterday! They said it might not ship until Jan. 14th and I have been depressed until I checked my order status today and saw that it shipped yesterday.

I am a nubie and this Axim (400mhz model) will be my first handheld. I have read in the info at Dell and on this board that you should charge the Axim for 4 hours before first using it. However, I also ordered (and it should either come at the same time OR beat it here) a cord (adapter) to run it off of A.C. power. Can I run it with this adapter (or the cradle) without causing a problem with the battery -- or should I just grit my teeth, let it charge, and whimper for four hours when it gets here!

Do I sound impatient? :D

Jhokur2k
12-31-2002, 06:02 PM
Let it charge.. it's painful to wait, but worth it :)

Kati Compton
12-31-2002, 06:21 PM
Don't take my word for it, as sadly I know nothing about batteries or how PDAs work without them but on AC.

I wonder if you could charge up the battery in the extra battery slot in the cradle for the 4 hours, but meanwhile run the Axim off of AC power without the battery in it? I mean, you'd have to make sure it stayed plugged in while you put the fully charged battery in it if you want to avoid draining backup battery and/or losing everything you've done on it...

Janak Parekh
12-31-2002, 06:26 PM
Whatever you do, make sure you charge your battery up all the way the first time. Li-Ion battery capacities can be harmed if you start using it extensively immediately. I'd guess using it in the cradle might not be too terrible, and Kati's suggestion also has some merit, if it works.

--janak

yellowdemon
12-31-2002, 08:15 PM
Yeah! My Axim was shipped yesterday! They said it might not ship until Jan. 14th and I have been depressed until I checked my order status today and saw that it shipped yesterday.

When did you order it?

grobin
12-31-2002, 11:04 PM

When did you order it?

I ordered it on-line from Dell on December 21st (Saturday before Xmas).

And thanks to everyone else for their answers. When it arrives , I may try taking the battery out charging it in the extra battery slot in the cradle and try running the Axim off the power cord adapter (which just arrived!).

Kati Compton
01-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Let me know if it works so I can feel stupid for not thinking of it when MINE arrived... :)